Are all wlamart cruisers the same quality

GoldenMotor.com

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Hello forum after reading for a few weeks thought I would join.
I'm looking for an easy build for a 48cc Gurbee slant head. I'm going to get the motor from Piston Bikes. Is the Karaoke any better of a bike then the Cranbrook? will I need to upgrade the rims on any of the walmart Cruiser ? If so witch bike would give me the room to upgrade the chain and rims. I'm just kind of stuck on what frame to start with and why. I like the look of the Cranbrook but I don't want to go with it if for a few bucks more I could get off to a better start. also will I need the front mount for all of the walmart Cruiser bikes.

Wonderful community you have going here with tons of useful info

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Most are all the same (especially because most are made by schwinn), but some are aluminum frames (not as strong), while some are steel.

I just got the schwinn landmark, and I really love how it rides. Spiffy looking bike.

The karaoke doesn't have handbrakes. You would have to add them later, because a coaster brake by itself is not a good idea.

You will need a special front mount. No cruiser will fit the stock mounts.

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
.wee.
Hello forum after reading for a few weeks thought I would join.
I'm looking for an easy build for a 48cc Gurbee slant head. I'm going to get the motor from Piston Bikes. Is the Karaoke any better of a bike then the Cranbrook? will I need to upgrade the rims on any of the walmart Cruiser ? If so witch bike would give me the room to upgrade the chain and rims. I'm just kind of stuck on what frame to start with and why. I like the look of the Cranbrook but I don't want to go with it if for a few bucks more I could get off to a better start. also will I need the front mount for all of the walmart Cruiser bikes.

Wonderful community you have going here with tons of useful info
I have mounts, the most important thing is the back tire and coaster brakes are trouble.I'll say 1 more thing most important to stop! front & rear brakes amust.
G/L
& happy trails.shft.

Attachments

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the reply I like the schwinn landmark do you think the rims will hold up better then the Huffy bikes. Now I'm looking at the Schwinn Delmar because I only want one speed I don't want the gears to make it any harder to add the motor.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
The wheels should hold up. I have a p.o.s. macargi rear wheel that I ran a race at Willow Springs a few weeks ago and it held up fine. Plus these wheels are so cheap $39.99 if it brakes I'll just replace the whole darn thing. I blew out the rear hub in the Death Race in April but I only had the coaster brake. Now I have 3 brakes, a 203mm disc on the front, rear side pull and the coaster brake :D With this set up I dont use the coaster brake, I guess it's just there for emergency's.
Check out Manic Mechanic Hub Adapter hub adapter. Cant go wrong with this, alot of guys are using this. Sick Bike Parts have different sizes engine mounts.

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Thanks for the reply I like the schwinn landmark do you think the rims will hold up better then the Huffy bikes. Now I'm looking at the Schwinn Delmar because I only want one speed I don't want the gears to make it any harder to add the motor.
The gears don't make it harder, I believe they make it easier.

You DON'T have to use a tensioner and only have to worry about properly adjusting the drive chain. The hub is smaller in diameter so you don't need to ream out the sprocket. Plus you will already have factory installed front and back brakes , in some cases you can get the linear pull brakes that are far superior to the other caliper brakes

The easiest builds I have ever done were on Point Beaches and Jaguars

(editted with the word Don't)

Last edited:

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
from what I can tell the Schwinn Clairmont is the same bike as the Beach Point only with a steel frame. The walmart reviews on the Beach Point are way better. I don't know anything about bikes other then what I read here on the forums but a lot of you seem to not like aluminum frames.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I can't totally trust aluminum. I have never had a cracked frame, but

People I respect here say that aluminum is OK if you have a solid mount and don't use rubber. I have followed that advice

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico
Hi,schwinn del mar is my Bike and it ridez great,only thing was the chain tencioner but it is resolved,and is de one you mention.brnot

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I have a Huffy Cranbrook and it is an easy build for a first timer and has a steel frame with lots of clearance. Get yourself a universal large front engine mount though. I do suggest to upgrade at least the rear rim with a Shimano CBE-110 rear hub and HD rim. Robert at Piston Bikes carries them I think as well as the Manic Mechanic adapters and can advise you on all of the parts I am listing. The CBE-110 hub is the easiest to get a sprocket adapter for and it will make your life alot easier and your ride alot smoother if you consider that as an upgrade option also. Personally I like the hub adapters by Sports Car Pat over the others that are available (PB also carries them)... I dont have a front brake and use the Shimano coaster with good results, if you do decide to go with a front brake consider ordering a Worksman drum brake hub and rim for about $125 (if they are back in stock yet) or get a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub laced up to a good rim. Both are less prone to failure in wet conditions than rim or disc brakes in my opinion. Hope it helps PM me if you have other questions...

Last edited:

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the advice I can only repay you by helping other noobs after I build and learn. Before I start buying stuff this should be my last question. Joabthebugman do you think I could mount the motor on a Landmark the same way you was telling me for the Point Beach with the "no drill" oversize mount. Thanks again to you and the forums
I went to that website and I don't even see the mount you told me about or any other mounts weird

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I used the gasbike.net universal mount. My engine does not fit right and I either have to use the drill through mount or take it to a chop shop.

If the price is right, I will get the chop shop to do it.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Here's the mount
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_3194.10480223_std.jpg

Couple it with this Large Mount Clamp instead of the U bolt
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_1200.28784829_std.jpg

Use some Type 8 socket head bolts from Home Depot or Ace for a smooth pro look

Here's the page
Custom Motored Bicycles - PARTS for Motorized Bikes 5,CDI,Magneto Coil,Motor Mounts Bolts,Tools

she also has a large mount block if needed
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_1150.278115032_std.jpg

Whole set up will cost $14 plus shipping, if you use the larger block $10 without it

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I used the gasbike.net universal mount. My engine does not fit right and I either have to use the drill through mount or take it to a chop shop.

If the price is right, I will get the chop shop to do it.
You should feel lucky you got it at all from Gas Bikes or Kings... Just sayin LOL!!! Always read reviews before buying...

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Walmart bikes are not the same quality of bike that you get from bike stores. I build bikes part-time at a walmart. Their bikes have lesser quality bearings and pedals. They also use the worst tires and tubes you can buy. So if you use a walmart bike,just change out every piece that moves with heavy duty stuff then you will be okay. You would not believe how many bikes we destroy when the customer brings them back for something that failed in the first 3 months of riding.
donb4103

darkangel

Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
ok guys,i have a schwinn cruiser 26" and i was bored and said omg an engine kit for $159 thats not bad,now yes i had a blast building this but im having a few issues for one i want a sprocket adapter from piratecycles.com but i dont know the hub size of my coaster brake and i read so many forums about the kill switch that i just torn that thing off,yes i havea wal-mart bike im making it work but it seems like most of the companies are out of stock of most parts like speedometer,chrome headlight etc..any advice would make my day so i can have more fun building this bike..

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have the Schwinn Delmar with a huasheng/4G setup and I love it. But......I've changed out everything except the frame,seat,and seat post. I'm short so I have 24 inch wheels with a disc brake up front. The fork is a custom cruiser fork from chainganglowrider.com. The only complaint I have is about the one way bearing in the tranny and it sucks.

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico
Hi, can start with the left and then the right of the vendors of this site for parts,and for the sprocket adapter you need a caliper to measure the hup,I buy the sprocket adapter and the wheel from them.