schwinn del mar

GoldenMotor.com

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
So I thought I would try using a wally world schwinn del mar (comes from the same assembly line as the huffy cranbrook) to build up a 'round the town put put.

I was wrong.

I got it home and took the front tire off so I could grease the front hub properly when I loosened up the the wheel I noticed the legs of the fork were not completely lined up. I figured it was not a big deal because I had an old 1" RST shock I was going to replace it with. So I proceed to take the the fork off and find that the shock will not fit in its place because the schwinn uses ball bearings that are 2/3's the size of standard headset bearings. At this point I knew I would not use the bike, but I examined the bearing races any way. I found gouges in the faces of the races like the machine tool was too hot and or dull to do the job but no one cared.

I also noticed the tubes were bent using a pipe bender like this Hydraulic Pipe & Tube Bender - 12 Ton and not a roller or proper bender like this Pipe Bending Machine & Equipment, Tube Notchers, Bead Rollers which leads to a significantly weaker product. Also the welds look like they were done in a chines jr. high shop class.

While I did not take pictures, and there have been hundreds of MB's built on schwinn/huffy/pacific cycles walmart bikes of this style, I would look elsewhere for a bike.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Pacific Cycles quality has declined so much since 2007 I don't buy anything from them. I laugh at the junk they are trying to sell at 60% more. Schwinn is now a joke :(

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Anyone that believes Schwinn products are superior to anything else are very mistaken. They once made quality products but that has long since passed. It's just another china bike now. Nothing more, nothing less.