strange idea.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now I know this is going to sound like I'm on crack, or have had one beer too many (at least) but I don't drink, not for the last 15 years. I don't take even the drugs they want me to take. So it can only be a **** of an idea, or my brain tumor talking but:

What if I took that ilfan engine that is to heavy for any of my present incarnations. and put it on the back of my trike with the drive shaft facing to the rear. I could get a really good balance that way. Then what if I got a fan blade and made myself a forced air helper engine. Kind of like a small air boat on wheels. Just a thought, but then again I might be delusional.

Of course with winter coming i would have to buy a thermal suit. You wouldn't need a clutch because the fan could blow on idle and not hurt a thing. just a thought

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw some of those and yes loss of appendages seems likely. I had one of those old fans with the cage blades switch if from electric motor to the ilfan. Just a strange thought. probably wouldn't get enough thrust though

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a 14lb thrust jet turbine the might move it along. Unfortunately it burns 7oz of kerosene/turbine oil mix a minute. Also might melt the grilles out of cars at stop lights. We mounted a 50cc R/C gasser to a bike turning a 20" prop. If you helped it from start it moved a long pretty well but forget climbing a hill. Just one of those crazy experiments.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a 14lb thrust jet turbine the might move it along. Unfortunately it burns 7oz of kerosene/turbine oil mix a minute. Also might melt the grilles out of cars at stop lights. We mounted a 50cc R/C gasser to a bike turning a 20" prop. If you helped it from start it moved a long pretty well but forget climbing a hill. Just one of those crazy experiments.
i have done more than one of those not that one but others .

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Years ago I had a stray thought about building a flying platform out of those small model engine turbines.
I was pretty sure it was a bad idea without exploring it very far but the 7 oz./min fuel consumption for 14 lbs thrust makes it clear.
On the bright side, a turbine driven turbofan is still a possibility.
Search youtube for scramjet, ramjet and pulsejet for more flights of fancy.