Sturgis motorcycle rally

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm heading to Sturgis again. My son's friend who lives in La, Ca. is going ride out to meet me here in Pampa. Then we are heading to Hooper, Co. Pick up my brother in law Charlie. Then we are off to Sturgis. I want to see the nitro drags then just goof off and ride the Hog in the mountains may even go see friends in Wy.
Charlie earlier this year had a semi run a stop sign and he couldn't stop in time and clipped the trailer tore up the bike and him broke bones in upper and lower part of his leg. he now as some metal in that leg. He's rebuilt the bike and ready to go. I don't know how the bike looks but I do know it's not been painted, who cares he's back to riding.
This is the third time going to Sturgis on a motorcycle for me. Every time I went before I had bike troubles, first time blew out a new tire on the way home due to running over an allen wrench in Denver during rush hour, second time I had a head temp sensor fail, maybe the third time will be a charm?
I'm hoping it will not rain either as I've had my share of riding in the rain, well a couple of sprinkles won't hurt it's the hail I don't like.
Maybe I'll see some of you guys there?
Norman

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You know where to come for a steak dinner. :)
You know that Charlie and you are always welcome here. Give me a couple of days notice and Char and I will have the table set for you.
Tom

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Thanks for the offer but we are riding with one of my son's friend. This guy is from Germany and it's been his life's dream to ride to Sturgis we hope to get to Rapid City in a day. So we won't be able to stop.
Thanks for the offer Tom
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
We made it to Sturgis and back got into rain some. I got real wet at Raton pass I didn't put on my rain suit. All 3 of us had a real good time.
the ol bike behaved for the most part I did develop a fuel leak right on the high pressure side on the fuel injection system, some teflon tape fixed it.
My friend from Ca. had a very good time, this was his first trip to Sturgis. My brother in law has healed up good enough from a bike semi wreak earlier this year and had his bike back up and running again so he went too. He's got titanium rods in both upper and lower leg bones on the left side, other than a slight limp he was good to go.
We went all over the Black Hills and hit most of the places at Sturgis, seen the painted boob girls everywhere, bikes of all types. I saw only 2 motorized bikes there, they were parked so I didn't see any being rode. We had a real cold ride home in the mountains in Colorado it was dark once we got into the mountains above Denver, nice beak from the high heat on the plains, we detoured off I-25 around Longmont, Co. there were miles of cars bumper to bumper, stopped, barely moving and with the heat my bike was starting to run too hot so we headed for the mountains somewhere north of Denver.
We made it from Rapid City to Hooper, Co. in 16 hours of riding only stopping for fuel, and the traffic jams down on the I-25 and the small city's around Denver it's starting to feel like LA, Ca. with all that traffic. Ralf headed back to Ca. the next morning and I went home the following day. I took a side road after crossing La Vetta pass hwy 12 to Trinidad, Co. that was one neat ride very scenic ride. the start of it was slow going lots of winding and sharp curves some were floorboard draggers. Anyway I took about 2 extra hours to get home. Plus the road construction going on from Raton, N.M. to Texas. I traveled over 2,400 miles and burned 48 gallons of gas in just over 1 week. I had a ball. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. I'm also looking for more riders to go with us next year. I'm sure Ralf and Charlie will do it again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Norm,
Sounds like a great time. We're glad you shared this with us. Tell Charlie hello from Char and me. I didn't know about his accident. Glad he's doing good.
2400 miles. That's a haul on a scooter.

You don't have to tell me about Denver traffic. It's one of the main reasons I retired. Doing that 80 mile a day commute in that mess got to be too much. And, there's always construction going on somewhere. I-70 has been screwed up for the last five years with some kind of work going on from place to place.
Anyway, just know there's a dinner waiting for you if you get back this way.
Keep in touch.
Tom

"Painted Boobs" ? Maybe I should plan a trip to Sturgis.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
OK 2 Door.
Yea paint only on boobs, some shouldn't do that in my opinion. Yet some were REALLY nice.
Get a bike we are planning on doing again next year.
I could put up some photos but I did not take any of the Boobs.