Oily Magneto

GoldenMotor.com

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
I am guessing I have a bad crankshaft seal? It's not suppose to be this oily? My bike only runs if I hold in the kill switch, basically, I have to ground the engine to the white wire in order for it to go. Is this caused by a magneto that is completely saturated with oil residue? Can I dry out the magneto, or do I need to replace it? The blue and white wires are still soldered to the coil at its original places.

Attachments

Last edited:

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
If it was the case where the mounting holes are drilled too deep, I would have ran into this problem pretty much since I installed the kit right? It became this oily only recently in the past week or so. I did notice yesterday that whenever I applied throttle from a standstill, the engine would sort of cut in and out only for the very beginning until I reached moderate speeds. Now, I have to short the white wire to keep the engine running. What I don't understand is, if the magneto is shorted out from being oil soaked, why doesn't shorting the white wire still allow it to run fine, even with a oil soaked magneto? Thanks.

If it was the case of mounting holes drilled too deep, how would I fix it?

P.S. Why would the engine run when the white wire is shorted out? It doesn't make sense. For the sake of not having to hold the kill switch down the whole time I am riding, I just run the white wire to the black engine ground (the one that grounds back on one of the magneto bolts), which allows me to ride normally like the grounded kill switch to frame. And the funny thing is, the bike runs perfectly fine with white accessory power wire connected to black engine ground cable. I figure if the magneto is shorted out and completely drenched in oil, it shouldn't work at all. It truly boggles the mind.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The magneto has lost its internal ground, so by grounding the white wire, you are completing the ground circuit:

Normal:
Magneto Diagram.jpg

Missing Ground:
Magneto Diagram no ground.jpg

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Ah, Thanks for clearing it up me. I love when I learn new things from this awesome forum. Sadly, it seems that everytime I fix something on my bike, something else always breaks. Now, posted in a separate thread, my small bevel gear screw came off and almost ground a hole into my clutch cover. My carb slide started to stick and I found out it was because the carb tube got distorted (slide works when I loosen the carb to intake clamp). My gas tank started leaking from the mounting stud welds. And to top it off, I ran by a ninja tree that drops caltrops and managed to flatten both front and back tires. I had the pleasure of walking my bike 3 mi back home under the blazing sun. I ended up pulling out roughly 20 caltrops from each tire.

I swear.....

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The ground wire on the mag coil may have come un soldered. Take the mag coil off and check the coils frame there is a small soldered spot on the frame that is where the wiring on the coil is supposed to be grounded that wire is around 26 gauge and it's either broke the soldered joint or broke internally.
If it's broke or un soldered that can be fixed easily by re soldering. If the wire broke inside the coil then you will not be able to fix that.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
The ground wire on the mag coil may have come un soldered. Take the mag coil off and check the coils frame there is a small soldered spot on the frame that is where the wiring on the coil is supposed to be grounded that wire is around 26 gauge and it's either broke the soldered joint or broke internally.
If it's broke or un soldered that can be fixed easily by re soldering. If the wire broke inside the coil then you will not be able to fix that.
But if it is completely soaked in oil, is it shorted out too? If it is shorted out, I shouldn't be able to ride at all, right?

acutally, looking at my 1st picture, isn't the black wire under one of magneto mounting screws the ground? I guess it's not soldered originally and it's still connected.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Oil does not conduct electricity. The magneto will not have been shorted out.

There are 2 grounds on the magneto. One in the center of the windings, the one that Norman referred to, and the other one is the black wire under one of the mounting screws.
Look at the upper schematic that rohmel shared if you want to view it from a "drawn on paper" point of view.
The lower schematic is most likely the problem that you have.
If you connect the white wire to ground and the ignition works, then that is a good indicator that the "black wire under the screw" connection is good. If it were bad then connecting the white wire to ground would not make a difference.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Got it. So the ground wire inside the coil probably came undone. So having the magneto soaked in oil like in my pic doesn't actually do it harm in terms of its ability to function.