Help In Identification

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Here is an unusual old trike. I think it is from about the 50's from the looks of it. It has been painted a couple of times and I think there is a couple of stickers under the paint. The white mud flaps have a "S" on it. The crank says: Shamano and Product of Japan. The back tires are 16" and the front tire is 20". You can lean the front over in both directions with the back tires still flat on the road. There is a generator on the front wheel as can be seen in the one picture. The light from the generator doesn't work and I haven't checked that out yet.

Its made of steel and pretty heavy for its size. At first I thought...WOW its made for a 4 stroker on the back! But, the crank turns with the wheels. It would beat you to death!!

Anyone have any ideas on what it is and how old?

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I just went out and took another look at it. To put a motor on it all that would need to be done is take off the short chain on the left side and use the sprocket to run a chain from the motor. You wouldn't be able to pedal it though. A freewheel sprocket it would be much better.

The wife just saw it and fell in love with it! That is not good for me! She is going to give it a try later. I hope she doesn't like riding it!!

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I "think" I know what it is now. Made in Japan by "S. Hattori". He makes small adult trikes that are a lot like this one. Even down to the same size tires. Plus the mud flaps on mine have a large "S" on them.

Terry

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i think 70's because of the reflector's pedals and their plastic. but would make a cool motorized grocery getter

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, the wife doesn't want it. I can't get my feet on the pedals and if I add pegs for my feet I wouldn't be able to turn the thing. So I'm going to give it to a friend of mine. He said he has a go cart motor to put on it! All he would need is to put wings on it too!

It was given to me free so I gave it to him him free.

Terry