chain to short?

GoldenMotor.com

mathersi

Apr 5, 2011
ON
(please note i bought my old bike used so the i dont know about the old parts )

so after i was on a 20 minute ride i get home, and look at my chain to see that the master link has broken.... upon further inspection i noticed that my chain ( that i left on ) from my old kit was a tiny bit different then the new one i got in my new kit ( that i didnt put on ), so i figured that it broke because the sprocket to big for the chain or something.

so........ i take my old chain off and install my new chain/back sprocket. and basically its 2 links short, ive tried everything i can do.

****The old chain had two master links? and inside and an outside one to extend it 1 link more, how will i be able to extend my new chain so that it can attach to the other end?
:-||:-||

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm not real sure about which chain is causing you the grief? I guess your talking about the chain on the engine. You said the new chain is 2 links short. First do you know the chain size? If you can find the correct size You might want to order a new length of chain. If you have a chain breaker you can push out a pin and add more links to get to the length you need. You might be able to add a master link but the problem is master links are kind of a weak spot in the chain, especially if you install the master link clip backwards or more than one master link.
Some engines will work fine with a #40 chain. I think most bike engine are a #420 I don't remember right off. You will want to get a quality made chain breaker the cheap Wally world one's are not much count.
Believe it or not but Harbor freight does sell a good chain breaker and the price isn't real high.
You can install a chain using the chain breaker and not use a master link but if your out riding and the engine/clutch etc locks up you will wish you had a master link so you can drop the chain completely off so you can pedal home.

My numbers on the chain size might be wrong!! So do look or search the forum for the proper chain sizes. I on the road again so I can't go into the shop to check on the sizes.

Last edited:

mathersi

Apr 5, 2011
ON
thanks for the quick reply. Yes its the chain for the engine.

to me it loooks like my old chain is a tiny bit wider then my new chain that i need to extend ( are you able to tell me what my new chain # it is? ).

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
thanks for the quick reply. Yes its the chain for the engine.

to me it loooks like my old chain is a tiny bit wider then my new chain that i need to extend ( are you able to tell me what my new chain # it is? ).
on good chains they usually have the chain type etched into the side of every link. if yours doesn't have that on it, get a 415, KMC Industrial 415 Chain Nice Quality! (In Stock) i use these chains and i really like them so that and a chain breaker and you're good to go.

mathersi

Apr 5, 2011
ON
do you think any motorcycle shops or something would have the proper 80cc chains i need? just in case i can avoid the waiting :)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i think full on motorcycle chains would be too big, small gas engine shops mite though, those places specialize in everything from chainsaws to go karts, so if you got one near you, give em a call. #41 chain will also work if they have that instead of 415.