EZ Glide

GoldenMotor.com

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
been seeing 'H' clutch cables on ebay, regular, and EZ glide.

Can someone explain to me the difference? the seller said it's to aid in the pull. How much more stuff do i need to mount to get this feature? do i need this feature?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The EZ glide is an add on clutch assist. It mounts to the clutch arm and hangs straight down a few inches. It offers an easier pull because of the leverage as it is an extension of the clutch arm. The EZ glide cable is shorter because it attaches to the bottom of the EZ glide arm. The pull is considerably easier but it doesn't move the pulleys as much as without it. So belt adjustment and cover fit is more critical.

There are 3 types of clutch cables used on the vintage Whizzers. The most common is the version used on the "H" , "J" motors, and "300" motors. The most common has fittings [cable ends] soldered on both ends, one to fit the slot in the handle and the other to fit in the clutch arm. The later EZ Glide clutch cable has a bare end to fit a clevis bolt on the EZ Glide arm, however it has the same fitting for the clutch handle. The other of the 3 cables is for the very rare early "H" clutch handle and the fitting is removable [small cylinder with screws in both ends to clamp against cable].

If you were to cut the cable end off a "H", "J" or "300" clutch cable at the clutch arm side it would be the same as the EZ Glide cable.

The EZ Glide clutch system requires an additional cable mounting bracket [#8154] attached to the bottom motor mount, whereas the earlier cable requires a bracket on the seat post down tube [#2960]. Both are called cable anchor brackets.

Have fun,