Dad's mount idea, I like!

GoldenMotor.com

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
rofl bairdco,that would be a hilarious scenario.

Ive put about 100 miles on this build so far without a hitch ,other than my first 50 feet when the chain jumped the sprocket and bent some spokes and I did realize before I welded the sprocket to the hub that any problem I would have i would need to throw the wheel away and add a new set up. Fortunately it only bent a few spokes I straightened them with a pliers and am still using the welded sprocket.

Its just fun to have people wonder how that sprocket is attached to the hub,it does give it an interesting look. But I will not do it to another build because the wheel and hub/sprocket have to be replaced if any damage to them.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Hope that's not galvanized pipe or you're looking to kill someone before their time...
While yes, welding galvanized is 'bad', I don't know of a single welder who has not welded something galvanized (myself included), And I have not heard of one yet dieing from it :)

I HAVE however heard of someone who put a wackload of galvanized steel into his shop oven and nearly killed himself with the fumes because he hung around in the shop afterwards while it was cooking. And some people getting mildly sick for a day or two after a LOT of galvanized welding, ie hours worth.

If you gotta weld a structure, Yes galvanized is bad and you want a posative pressure mask (Ie, clean air taken from 20'+ away pumped into your mask)

If you gotta weld a pipe or two or some galvanized washers/bolts, Its no big deal, Just don't hang around in the shop after you do it, Or do it outside.