Hey NORM i have a perplexing problem HELP

GoldenMotor.com

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
Thanks in advance

I cant get my 66cc started i have spark and i have fuel
I tested all electronics with ohm meter and everything checks out i pulled the readings off of this forum, pulled the carb apart 2 times only to find nothing wrong.
i did unhook my kill switch with no change.

Everthing is in place what am i missing ?

I have built 5 bikes and never had this problem

JOKER

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Mix your gas & oil at 24:1, set the choke lever about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up & ride the bike down a long easy hill & pop the clutch!!! It will start! ;)

Also... are you sure the engine is actually turning when you pop the clutch? Make sure the clutch isn't slipping! (you should hear a 'chug chug chug' sound as the engine turns.)

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
I mixed my fuel at 28 to 1
i removed the side cover to expose the stater and then pushed the bike and the rotor
was spinning.
Could the cdi fail under load ?
My clutch is on the border line i have to pull the clutch all the way in to disengage it
but could it be slipping enough to not make it start ?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It could be that clutch is slipping, but if you can see the mag rotor spinning then the engine should be able to start.
Spark plugs can be weird too. They can spark all bright and blue when checked by resting on top of the cylinder head cooling fins but.... When installed properly to fire the engine, they will not spark when under the pressures of the engine's compression stroke.
Try a new spark plug before you fiddle with the clutch.
Speaking of clutch, how is your clutch cable adjusted?
If you have alot of slack in the cable you will have to squeeze the hand lever all the way in before the clutch will disengage.

joker

Oct 6, 2009
clearwater
I am on my third plug starting to think thats not it
this is a streacthed cruiser so i had to streach everything including the plug wire the wire that i lengthened the plug wire with was twice as thick as the factory wire.
Could i be loosing spark volume due to that heavier wire ?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Are you positive that the wire is making a good contact with the center screw up inside the hole of the CDI box and the screw in the spark plug cap?
The conductor core inside the wire can get buggered up when trying to install it.
You might try snipping 1/2 inch of wire off the end of the wire and trying again.
If you are using the stock spark plug cap they are junk anyways.
Better to use a wire that has one installed all ready. FWIW you need a 7mm wire to fit the hole in the CDI box.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am on my third plug starting to think thats not it
this is a streacthed cruiser so i had to streach everything including the plug wire the wire that i lengthened the plug wire with was twice as thick as the factory wire.
Could i be loosing spark volume due to that heavier wire ?
A Heavier wire will actually carry the juice better than a smaller one.

What happens if you put a teaspoon of fuel mix directly down the plug hole and try it?