Traffic Safety Cushion Contraption

GoldenMotor.com

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
I had mentioned this in another location and it was suggested that I start a new thread/post. (I can never remember which is which)

Remember those old white fiberglass rods with the bright orange triangle flags that were mounted to bikes for higher visibility back in the 70’s- 80’s? I saw hardcore downtown city cyclist (he might have been a bike messenger) that adapted part of the rod with a great idea. He took a length of rod about 2 and a half feet long and mounted behind his seat on a pivot (like you’d find on a regular kickstand) that allowed it to be flipped and locked into a horizontal or vertical position. He mounted a big reflector to the end of it and would flip it down to the horizontal position so it would be hanging out to the left side. This made his bike a much wider vehicle on the left side and forced cars to give him an even wider berth when passing him. If some idiot did happen to come to close to him, they would hit the rod and it would flex or break without toppling his bike. (It had the added benefit of possibly leaving a nice scratch down the side of the car) When he needed to maneuver in a tight area he just reached back and popped it into the upright position. Mount a flashing LED tail light on the end for night riding and your bike will appear as a more substantial (noticeable) vehicle to traffic coming from behind.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Prof,
That's not a bad idea at all. It would look sort of weird and might attract that certain element who would want to see if they could reach out and grab it, but for the most part it would give you a wider look...or target, depending on who was passing you. Let us know if you try it and what effect it has. Thanks.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I kinda have mixed feeling about using something like that...
I understand that you want to be as safe as possible while riding; but now your making your bike into something that may cause a accident if a driver hits it or has to swerve too far around it.
Theres also another issue, I hear a lot of people here saying that we need to ride slow & keep our bikes quiet to keep up a good image to the rest of the public so that we don't get motorbikes banned from the road.
I think putting something like that on your bike might make you look like "that annoying MBer" who is blocking traffic & hogging up too much road, and getting people mad at us?

Last edited:

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
thats a good Idea and all ,However riding in traffic I would rather keep both hands on the handle bars. plus the white wire is a accessory wire and I use it to light a taillight. and the law just about anywhere you go says that you have the same rules as a vehicle (yeah right) and to stay as far to the right as SAFELY as possible! so I ride about 5-6 ft. from the curb, that way traffic has to go around you and not trying to squeeze between the center line and you. it gives you a place to go when thigs get a little tight. just my opinion and my 2 cents. I'll keep rollin FileStyle!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I can ride perfectly in the gutter of any road. Annoying any driver in any way is what I try to avoid.