My build on a Dutch style bike.

GoldenMotor.com

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Hello all, been a long time.

This is my second build. My first build was a Stanton fiction drive. Sold that bike because I have been commuting by pedal bike and stopped riding it.

First in frame build. Picked up a Framed Oslo (Dutch style bike). Hi ten steel frame. I bought the bike for the frame.

Ditched the wheels, brakes and fenders. The cranks are decent. The pedals are crap, I'll use them until they wear out. The handle bars are good as is the seat and included rack.

Looking for a set of single speed 700c wheels that wil accept a sprocket adapter. Hard to find. Have a couple of feelers out.

Found some velocity chukker rims, 48 hole, but the hub diameter is too small for a sprocket adapter. May just get the chukkers and use the spoke mount.

Depends on whether a set of custom wheels can be had without paying a small fortune. .

Need an offset intake to clear the seat stay. It is on order.

The motor is from that's Dax.

Going to mount the brakes and clutch for a total of 3 levers. Need some good caliper brakes that will clear 38 tires. Also need some good levers for the brakes and clutch.

I have to use a chain tensioner so will probably pick up the arch tensioner from Lynn.

I'm taking my time and going to do the build right. I'm not in a hurry. I thought about gettjng a pre made MB but I think building one from scratch will help me appreciate it more and be a great learning experience.

I'll post some pictures of the current progress.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
PHP:
[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s19.postimg.org/f3dvxzarn/image.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/app.php]screen shot windows[/url]

Commuter special

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Ended up going with a 700c rear wheel with a shimano coaster brake. It will allow for a sprocket adapter. Found a 29er front wheel with a solid axle from a mountain bike. The front wheel was accidentally shipped to my parents house. Damn pay pal. ordered a chain breaker tool for a 415 chain. Cheaper than a grinder.

Turning the handle bars and I could "feel" the bearings. Not a good sign. Tore it apart and sure enough it was dry! Greased it up and now it's smooth like butter. I'll tear the bottom bracket apart and make sure those bearings are greased. Still need to order the sprocket adapter but first need to measure the diameter of the rear hub once the rear wheel arrives. Didn't get a clutch lever/handle in my kit. Need to call Dax and see if he will ship one. Still need a case protecter from arrow bikes. have to wait for the next payday.

By the time it's done it won't even look like a Dutch style bike. I'm wondering if I should have went with a staton chain drive with the Tanaka 40. More money up front but by the time I get done I'll probably be into it the same amount $$$ as the Staton kit.

I'm also rethinking buying such a cheap bike. Maybe should have shopped around for a bike from a local bike shop with decent components and wheels. I'm thinking about selling this bike and starting over. Before I decide I will need to ride it. May tear the front wheel apart and have a drum brake laced in.

But first I have a set of caliper brakes. I'll stick one up front and see if I can dial it in. With the coaster it may be adequate.

Don't think the clutch is engaging because I can't spin the 10 tooth sprocket with it engaged. I found a video on you tube that explains how to fix it.

That is the latest update.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Hello,
All my admirers. I know you’ve been waiting anxiously for the next update.

The bike shop sent stickers with the bike. So they have been applied. It would be a waste to throw them away.

More stickers on the tank.

Side shot of That’s Dax Little Evil 1. Notice the sticker.

The bike in its current state. The carb and throttle have been installed.

The offset intake required minor modification. The welds were rather sloppy and did not allow the allen head screws to fit. With a dremel the welds were ground down and smoothed out, which provided the clearance necessary so the screws would rotate into the holes in the block. The holes in the offset intake did not line up with the holes in the engine block. Both holes were widened by 1/16 of an inch, which fixed that issue. The bend on the intake makes it extremely hard to fit the allen head screw into the right side. For continuity both screws were changed to hex head screws and shortened by 4mm (20mm to 16mm.)
Just waiting on the other components to arrive.
The sprocket adapter, clutch lever, case saver, chain breaker and both wheels are “in the mail”.

Hopefully it will be ready to go by next week.

Last edited:

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Finally got it running right and everything buttoned up.

Couple of pics.

Waiting on a rear rack bag to come to carry the tools, chain and lock. It's definitely a work in progress. Will be adding some fuel bottles/containers to carry extra fuel. Need some lights for it. Probably come up with other stuff to do to the bike.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Raising the handle bars will make it more comfortable for long rides.Seems like most motorbikers dont consider this. Take the pressure off your wrist.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Raised handlebars provide comfort. The skinny rear wheel is harsh. Steel frame provides a nicer ride than aluminum because it flexes and takes the edge off the bumps. Steel is the way to go if your not running suspension.

She's definitely a screamer. Need an expansion chamber that increases low end. Looking at SBP chamber but it seems a little piecemeal.