Bike of the month poll

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I tried the search but I might not have searched well. It would probably be a bit of a pain to set up. There are a lot of great bikes and builders on here. As well as some one time labor of love type bikes by members that really poured their heart into a single build. It would be cool to vote and recognize them in a member chosen bike of the month format.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think you're on to something. Even if members don't vote on the bikes, we could nominate in the different categories. Like, I could start by nominating Scotto's race bike in the high performance section. By the time all the members nominate their favorite machines, we should see most of the best of the best and just whatever else gets posted. It would be an interesting experiment and would bring out some of the more obscure and forgotten bikes.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

and if I may suggest;
1 Every bike must include 5 pictures if entered after this thread was started, less if prior?
2 The categories, then one 'runner up' type thing. But a special type... first build? budget build? big money build? members' favorite? oldest bike? it could even rotate?

Sounds like a good idea LSR!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks all! And I think all your suggestions are great. Scotto's race bike is a great example of an awesome machine that I would like to nominate and recognize. That bike shows excellent engineering, planning, fabrication, style, and we should be able to reward his and others hard work with some sort of recognition.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Let's keep this thread going and maybe some mods can post in if this is possible? For instance what if I just started a bike of the month poll on the first of every month in general discusion? Just a simple thread at first where everyone can just write in their votes?

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I had a chat via PM with one of the mods on here about a month ago, i will message him directly with the idea and hopefully get him to join the cause. It's not a direct line but with the weather like this he may not see a symbol in the sky.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, we do usually let these suggestion threads kick over for a little while to allow folks to formulate their thoughts & get a better idea of the idea ;)

As for competitions, we encourage members to create their own to prevent any question of bias - a "bike of the month" very similar to any other competition, here's the general outline for a "build off";

...We're also less formal here, a bit more laid back so there's no need to ask permission to hold a build off, there's no staff involvement unless requested (other'n forum rules ofc). It's just a matter of deciding what class/type of bikes, the rules concerning entrants, the beginning & end dates & then creating a thread in the appropriate subforum, choppers, cruisers, rats, trackers, w/e... Two threads, one for rule establishment, suggestions & entry requests (later becoming handy for non-entrant build discussion) and one for the actual build off is suggested, ofc the staff here is at your disposal for maintaining those threads (off topic/non entrant/moderation) should it be needed.

...we very much encourage member (non vendor) hosted & judged events, or at least a poll to determine the winner as this helps eliminate any question of product bias and to insure a fair, friendly competition.

...for now the type/class subforums are suggested or even our Event section should it be a multiple class competition, we can always move threads should it be become necessary.

Please do contact any of the staff here should you wish assistance for any reason, even suggestions concerning rules, classes and other parameters, or simple thread/post maintenance - we're more than willing to aid any event in any way we can :)
I would strongly suggest it be member-only, with staff, vendor or commercial entries disallowed. The reasons are pretty simple & in fairness as it's inappropriate for staff to participate in a competition against members, the various retailers already have plenty of recognition through advertising and they often have the resources to make any "competition" with our DIY members unfair.

Nominating popular merchant offerings kinda defeats the point as I see it;

...It would be an interesting experiment and would bring out some of the more obscure and forgotten bikes.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well, we do usually let these suggestion threads kick over for a little while to allow folks to formulate their thoughts & get a better idea of the idea ;)

As for competitions, we encourage members to create their own to prevent any question of bias - a "bike of the month" very similar to any other competition, here's the general outline for a "build off";

I would strongly suggest it be member-only, with staff, vendor or commercial entries disallowed. The reasons are pretty simple & in fairness as it's inappropriate for staff to participate in a competition against members, the various retailers already have plenty of recognition through advertising and they often have the resources to make any "competition" with our DIY members unfair.

Nominating popular merchant offerings kinda defeats the point as I see it;
Who said anything about various retailers here? And who is nominating popular merchant offerings here?

I must say that msrfan has some of the most creative and well thought out builds of anyone on this forum. Culvercityclassic, headtrama, magrider and many of others are the DIY types that all deserve some recognition here for their builds.

What the heck?

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That was a suggestion in addition rather then making any such specific exceptions, in the instance of an ongoing "bike of the month" poll or any standing general competition it's far more fair to have a more level playing field - even though we do our best to eliminate such issues, as mentioned it wouldn't be fair for forum staff to judge or even participate in a competition against members due to potential for bias, just as pitting the full resources of a commercial entry against our average DIYer isn't something that's likely to result in additional exposure for the "one time labor of love type bikes by members that really poured their heart into a single build" as suggested.

Again in general, "staff, vendor or commercial" builds already have plenty of exposure through an ongoing presence on the forum be it advertising or other forum activity, I personally see little need for additional recognition for builds already popularized in such a fashion or could be - rather I found the idea of the member nominated non-commercial builds as entries far more in compliance with the thought of "bring(ing) out some of the more obscure and forgotten bikes" and would be far more appealing to the memberbase as a whole, as many unique offerings & innovations have been developed by the DIYer, only to be lost to the annals of time.

Just one example with precedence of some the difficulties experienced with commercial entries would be a vendor that nominates a bike built by a manufacturer of a product they retail, thereby advertising a preferred merchant and themselves by proxy. Is this done out of appreciation of a unique build or a profit incentive? Be it either or both it becomes a troublesome question better addressed in overall fairness by separating the classifications is all. If vendors wish to have a poll or competition to compete and popularize product that's fine too, I just don't think that belongs in the general forum or celebrates the achievements of our memberbase as a whole.

I'm not saying any bike should be prohibited, rather it would be more beneficial with some amount of entry classification restriction, that it wouldn't be in line with the original suggestion as offered to pit Honda against the homebuilder. That to popularize already popular dealer builds would both defeat the point and essentially constitute little more then additional advertising. As it's difficult if not impossible as well as highly unfair in it's own right to differentiate merchant entries by submission, intent or popularity, it's better to separate commercial from non-commercial, any possible product promotion from the open sharing and celebration of the DIYer member.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think that should all go without saying, but it is good to know the reason for all that. Thanks for the lengthy clarification there :) I think the OP had all of this in mind to begin with.....

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
This is really the first forum I have spent quite a bit of time in. I am in an RX7 and a road racing forum that I only really visit to schedule racing and briefly touch base with other racers for travel plans etc. I have countless hours porting and tuning my CG and maybe 45 minutes total on cosmetics, that's just what I am really into. That being said I really love a few of the rat bikes and stretched lowered cruisers in these pages and want to recognize and vote for some of the especially brilliant ones. Funny thing, I can't stand cruiser/chopper type motorcycles but love the bicycle versions in here. I plan to take on building one about three bikes from now. Right after a twin pocket bike engined, geared bike rolling around in my head. And I probably need a light, rigid, compact, small wheel road race bike. Anyway I'm rambling, I just want to nominate a bike of the month and hope the category/thread has some success.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
{Just as a starting point for working out the details... would something like this work?}

LSR- My nomination for the March 2015 members-choice bike of the month poll is msrfans' Briggs build from 2010;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24502

{Then would you count nominations and submit a list of choices as the actual poll?}
{Or would members simply submit their choices each month and you would tally those numbers to determine the winner?}
{Or something totally different? :) }

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I hope this is ok, mods please let me know if I do anything wrong. I am going to start a "Bike of the month" thread in general discussion and see where it goes. For the first month people can past a link to a build or bike thread like Trey just did. I will try to copy his over to there for a start. I will put a brief description of what has been described as what it should take to qualify then tally the nominations at the end of the month for a winner. Hopefully it can take off ftom there.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Give 'em heck LSR! (^)
{Kidding, but thanks for the leeway Paul.}

You might have to spend some time on this, but you may also be able to get some help carrying that load. I'm on board, and interested to see how it works out.

Trey

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Trey. I hope it's ok, I copied your nomination over when I started the thread in general discussion. One thing I could use help with is at the end of the month having someone independent verify the count.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks Trey! It should be a pretty simple vote tally. Just someone to verify that I counted correctly would be awesome. Hopefully a lot of votes are cast and people have fun nominating and admiring the bikes.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
should i start one titled post year 2000 ht bicycles? cause im not going to loose to antiques w lawnmower engines. no offense