40 mile trip EPIC FAIL.. Please Help

GoldenMotor.com

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Hello Everyone.

I live about 40mis from my job (weekend gig) and wanted to try takling the bike to work.. I gave myself 2.5 hours to get there (20mph plus grace)

I had the following mechanical issues.

1: The motor mounts are loosening.. The guy who helped me build the bike talked about epoxy in addition to the physical mount itself. Well it didn't work too well. the engine didn't fall of, but it is wobbling which is giving me issue. I have a standard 66cc setup, like you get from bikeberry.com

2: The tube that takes gas from the tank to the engine came disconnected. Is there a way to tighten this up without shutting off the flow of Gas

3. The clutch will not fully realease. This keeps my bike in a position where I must be downhill to pedal manually. What can I do to fix this.

I'm very stubborn, and when I spend money on something. I make it work. Just need the advice to make this happen. What can I do to get this system more reliable?

Thanks so much in advance

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'll try issue #2.....loose fuel line:

Where is it disconnecting at? At the petcock, the filter or the carb?
I never had mine disconnect before. In fact, it's a chore to pull the fuel line off.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
1) loctite on all bolts
2) Zip ties or small hose clamps
3)Addjusting of the cable...it probly stretched
Also take a few shorter trips before going on another 40 mile trip. That way u can get the bugs out.Your chain will be streched soon so get ready.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
I'll try issue #2.....loose fuel line:

Where is it disconnecting at? At the petcock, the filter or the carb?
I never had mine disconnect before. In fact, it's a chore to pull the fuel line off.
Ok there is a nipple that looks like thick surgical tubing at the bottom of the gas tank.. I believe that this might be the "petcock" (I'm a newb forgive)

My fuel line comes on and off with no trouble.. I was told with the heat of the engine that this tube can warp somewhat.. I'll have pics as soon as I get near the bike again.

Thanks so much 5-7 for replying. It's helps a great deal.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
1) loctite on all bolts
2) Zip ties or small hose clamps
3)Addjusting of the cable...it probly stretched
Also take a few shorter trips before going on another 40 mile trip. That way u can get the bugs out.Your chain will be streched soon so get ready.
Cool.. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm on my way to home depot now..

The funny thing.. I guess I got over confident. I've made a handful of 8-10 mile trips. (the 40mi is both ways.. so I thought that 20 mi's would be doable)
I'm having fun learning.. Starting monday :)

.bf.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Bummer K. Can be monumentally frustrating. Don't give up. You will get her up and running happily.

For #1, I use "Loc-tite"

#2, small hose clamps

#3, There are some great threads to help with this. This one was at the top of the search.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22729 or more options; http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...2#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=adjusting clutch&gsc.page=1
Thanks for the encouragement! I was bummed this morning, but I'm going to get after it tommorrow for sure..

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
if your having troubke with the fuel line popping off, you can a slightly smaller tube as what came with the kits and at the tip where ur gonna slide it on, use a hair dryer and heat the end. this will expand the tube and make it super soft to slide onto whatever ur doing. Once you take it off though after slide it on usually it takes shape and doesnt go back so keep that in mind

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I doubt your engine is loose because of lack of loctite - when new, those bolts will stretch a bit - stop often and tighten them many times until they finally stay tight

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
blue loctite.i imagine the epoxy pounded out of the mount,best to make sure all epoxy is gone,or re-apply and allow to cure again.

hose clamp-good luck finding a spring clamp that works,only place would be small engine parts/repair shop.
i use small black uv resistant wire ties,just get them good and tight.

clutch will need adjusting from time to time,cable may have slipped in the stop.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Thanks so much everyone. I'll be on top of the bike Tomorrow morning for sure. I will tackle my 40mi trek.. It's not a long distance.. It's just like archery. Start doing short distance, until you master it. Longer distances reveal more flaws.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I doubt your engine is loose because of lack of loctite - when new, those bolts will stretch a bit - stop often and tighten them many times until they finally stay tight
Crassius and I agree on many things but here I want to elaborate a little because this is one of my pet peeves.

There is a BIG difference between "tightening" and checking the torque, of fasteners.
Too many times I have seen the advice given to "tighten the fasteners", either often or even "after every ride". This is the reason so many new and inexperienced builders get into trouble with broken fasteners.

First off, buy a torque wrench and use it. When you decide to "tighten" your fasteners, do not try to get a turn on the wrench or socket every time you do it. Use the torque wrench and CHECK the tightness. If the fastener does not turn when you apply the specified torque value...leave it alone!

All too often the uninitiated mechanic will try to get some turn on the wrench with the mistaken idea that he needs to see the wrench turn to assure that the fastener is tight. NOT SO. You can only tighten a 6 or 8mm fastener so tight before it or the threads it is holding will fail.
Check the tightness of your fasteners. Do not tighten them unless they need it.

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I agree with Crassius AND 2door; for lack of a torque-wrench, I do however suggest checking your fasteners regularly until they don't budge. I'm one of those lucky ones who can "feel" the proper torque; don't go-to-town, just make sure they're not loose. You can send them home after you invest in a torque-wrench.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Ok there is a nipple that looks like thick surgical tubing at the bottom of the gas tank.
I believe that this might be the "petcock" (I'm a newb forgive)

My fuel line comes on and off with no trouble.. I was told with the heat of the engine that this tube can warp somewhat.
I'll have pics as soon as I get near the bike again.

Thanks so much 5-7 for replying. It's helps a great deal.
You're welcome.

With cheap clear fuel line, they tend to slip off the barbs easily.
Your solution would be small hose clamps or correctly-sized rubber fuel hose.
I've used fuel injection rubber fuel line and hose clamps.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Blue loc tite, automotive 1/4" fuel line and clamps, 1/4" inline fuel filter (with clamps), and make sure that whenever you remove and fastener with loc tite on it, that you clean it off and re-loc tite it.

Learned that one that hard way.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Ok.

I got to fixing the bike today. The bolt that holds the rear mount clamp to the engine came off. All of the other bolts seemed fine. They needed to be tightened, but nothing more. Does anyone know what size those bolts I'm stick a similarly sized screw in it to get me to home depot.

It wasn't as big off an issue to tackle. I also tightened the chain.. It was a bit loose..flg.