Break-In for those with over 1000 miles

GoldenMotor.com

What technique do you use to break-in your HT engine if you have over 1000 miles

• Ride it hard from day one making short trips under 20 minutes each run

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Baby it for a few tanks making short trips under 20 minutes each run

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Ride it hard from day one making long trips over 20 minutes each run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baby it for a few tanks making long trips over 20 minutes each run

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Mix it up. Take some short runs and long runs riding hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mix it up. Take some short runs and long runs riding easy

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No real method to my madness

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looking for a response to my poll reagrding break-in procedures used by those people who have 1000 miles or more on there HT engines. Too keep the poll honest..please only respond to it if you indeed have over 1000 miles on a HT China engine. Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

This poll is quite general and no single question will probably fit your exact situation, but please just answer the one that comes closest to describing your gneral style of riding during break-in.

Last edited:

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
For what it's worth I babied my skyhawk during break in and its never made it past 150 miles, something always broke.

I built a bike for my neighbor with a boy go fast motor and he beat it from day one. Two years and over 5k later his still runs fine. HAd to replace a few headgaskets and decked the head once from warpage. no biggie

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Seems alot of failures over the years were attributed to cheap crank bearings. It also seems that perhaps the manufatures of these cheap HT engines at least recognized that a problem existed with the bearings in the past, because now you see many 2nd generation engines advertised as having much better quality Japaneese bearings installed or some may just say "high quality" which don't nessasarily mean Japaneese, but does infer that they are an upgrade from what was used before. MY newest BGF HT engine claims to have better quality bearings...so I am looking forward to seeing if I can reach the 1000 mile mark on this engine without too many issues arising. I am sure with the good advice found in these forums I can at the very least better my odds.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
None of the above.

I run it easy for the first two or three minutes to fully warm it up, then I progressively increase the rpm and length of time I spend at each higher rpm.

I never leave the clutch engaged on the run down as there isn't much oil going to the engine with the throttle closed.

After an hour of that, I just run 'em.

I use 40:1 from the start, and have never had a failure.

(I have always recommended 24:1 for a tank or so, then 32-36:1 just because I don't want someone saying they used my 40:1 break in and popped a motor.) :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh yeah, I never subscribed to the "run it 15 or 20 minutes and let it cool off" thing, never made any sense to me. That's like when my boss would always ask me if I thought the delivery truck would make it to Cleveland, because it was a couple hours away. He didn't get it when I told him it didn't make any difference if I ran it 20 or 200 miles at a time, once it's warmed up, it's warmed up.