Easy Choke Control

GoldenMotor.com

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
How many times have you about lost control reaching down with one hand to regulate the little choke lever? Well, I about lost it and decided it was time to do somthing before I killed myself.

I first drilled a 1/8" hole through the choke lever and used a piece of coat hanger to connect the wire to the lever. Used a pair of plyers to make the square finger pull and a small screw eye to hold the wire in position.

I can now easily move the choke on or off after the engine fires up without losing control of the bike.

A cheap and effective fix for a pain in the butt problem.

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That looks like a speed carb. My question is why do you need to use the choke anyway?

Mine starts easy without using any choke. What size jet are you running? I'm using a 68.

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
That looks like a speed carb. My question is why do you need to use the choke anyway?

Mine starts easy without using any choke. What size jet are you running? I'm using a 68.
Yes speed carb. Mine will not start in cool or warm weather without the choke. Once it fires off, I can close the choke immediately. Its the standard jet....whatever came with the carb. You think I should change? It runs good and has more than enough power (41 tooth MM sprocket with hub adapter).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes speed carb. Mine will not start in cool or warm weather without the choke. Once it fires off, I can close the choke immediately. Its the standard jet....whatever came with the carb. You think I should change? It runs good and has more than enough power (41 tooth MM sprocket with hub adapter).
Probably nothing wrong with it, but mine starts easy with no choke. I just give it a little throttle and it starts.

The stock jet is usually about a 71, so you should be starting even easier than my bike.

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Probably nothing wrong with it, but mine starts easy with no choke. I just give it a little throttle and it starts.

The stock jet is usually about a 71, so you should be starting even easier than my bike.
I was thinking about geting all four and trying them to see if there is any noticable difference in performance......they're cheap enough. My first engine, a 48cc, started without the choke but I could peddle this one forever and it would not start until I pull up the choke. Then it starts immediately. With all of the starting problem I see people having on here, I am not complaining.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I made a remote choke for my first bike. Since then I've learned how to tune the carb so a choke is rarely needed but here's the idea. I used the old front derailer lever to control it. The spring returns it to the off or open position and the handlebar lever has a tension adjustment to override the spring, if needed. The tubing is 3/16" stainless that routes the cable under the top bar.

Tom

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I made a remote choke for my first bike. Since then I've learned how to tune the carb so a choke is rarely needed but here's the idea. I used the old front derailer lever to control it. The spring returns it to the off or open position and the handlebar lever has a tension adjustment to override the spring, if needed. The tubing is 3/16" stainless that routes the cable under the top bar.

Tom
That looks really well engineered Tom. Even though you don't need it, it's still impressive to look at. Very well done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom,

I'm curious what you did to the carb to eliminate use of the choke.
I watched my spark plug color closely and jetted the carb to get the right color. We look for a tan, chocolate color. At my altitude (6000' above sea level) I needed to lean my fuel to air mix due to the thinner atmosphere. (less fuel due to less air density).

Also make sure you have absolutely no air (vacuum) leaks in the intake circuit. Carburetor sealed where it attaches to the intake manifold and the manifold gasket to the cylinder. I always check the intake flange for a flush fit against the cylinder. The welded steel manifolds are notorious for having a warp due to the welding process. They need to be sanded or ground flush and the kit gasket replaced with good quality gasket material.

Make your spark plug gap .024 to .028. That's where I've found the best performance.

There are other little tricks but follow the above advice and you'll be close.
Good luck.

Tom

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
I watched my spark plug color closely and jetted the carb to get the right color. We look for a tan, chocolate color. At my altitude (6000' above sea level) I needed to lean my fuel to air mix due to the thinner atmosphere. (less fuel due to less air density).

Also make sure you have absolutely no air (vacuum) leaks in the intake circuit. Carburetor sealed where it attaches to the intake manifold and the manifold gasket to the cylinder. I always check the intake flange for a flush fit against the cylinder. The welded steel manifolds are notorious for having a warp due to the welding process. They need to be sanded or ground flush and the kit gasket replaced with good quality gasket material.

Make your spark plug gap .024 to .028. That's where I've found the best performance.

There are other little tricks but follow the above advice and you'll be close.
Good luck.

Tom
Hi again,

I'm 100% sure I do not have any vacuum leaks. I checked the cylinder surface with a steel straight edge and found it to be perfect. I also use the MM machined intake with the "o"ring and siliconed gaskets. The speed carb has the std. jet and the "c" clip is set in the second notch down from the top just as received from the factory. We are in Florida at sea level.

This is what the NGK BP6HS plug gapped at .028 looks like after 1200 miles using Opti2 100-1. You think it looks a little lean? The engind runs strong and starts within a drive way length when fully choked. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone but I will do whatever you might suggest. It will get to 35 mph quick but I feel much better at 20.

Thanks a lot.

PLUG COLOR.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your plug tells me you might be just a hair lean but in my experience with Opti-2 plug colors are a little different than with other 2 stroke oils. Mine are always more grey than brown and that has been reported by other Opti users too.

A driveway length isn't bad. Just for grins experiment by trying it with and without the choke. If the Speed Carb has a tickler, or primer button, give it a three second shot too and try it without the choke. However, these little engines all have a personality of their own and what works for one might not be the best for another. If your Chine Girl likes a little choke to start cold, give it to her. (no pun or innuendo intended) :)

Tom

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I have an NT carb and 66cc chinagirl, and I can't start it with the choke on or off. It has a VERY sweet spot about halfway where it'll instantly start, and if it's very far off and not adjusted down as it warms up then it dies.

I filled the end of the choke lever with JB weld, ran a cable through my fuel-tank clamp, hooked a spring onto the clutch post and the other end on the choke lever. I drilled through the JB-weld, superglued and crimped a cable-end onto the fitted cable and use a shifter lever to control it. It's not as pretty as I'd like (Looking at yours Tom) because the cable is going to rub the side of the float bowl a bit, but it works great and took all of 20 minutes to do.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol,Tom,my driveway is about 700 feet long.
i park the bike in my quonset storage building 80 feet long.i can have it running by the time i get out through the doors.pull clutch and pedal to the road,then away i go.
the remote idea appeals to me,i especially like yours,Tom.
i made a cable pull for a remote release using a tube similar to your idea.i got my idea from junkyard wars,was one of my favorite shows.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not a TV watcher and haven't seen 'Junkyard Wars' but it sounds like fun. I used to watch Discovery Channel and the 'Robot Wars'. Those were enjoyable.

Tom