Help, Sick of Not Having a Kickstand! Cant find one!

GoldenMotor.com

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I've had my bike for over a year now and i've somehow lived with not having a kickstand. I lean it against a wall and hope it doesn't fall- most of the time. My bike is a 29'er without a center mounting place for a kickstand. It also has a rear disc brake not allowing me to have some of the rear mounted kickstands. I'm not able to mount the dual center ones either because of the lack of mounting position. Anyone with my kind of set up mind sharing what you're using. Its very annoying now as I am riding my bike more. Thanks for all the help in advance.

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have a 26 inch beach cruiser with a kick stand, i have a extra kick stand id mail you but im not sure if it would work with your bike.

Walmart or any bicycle shop would sell you a kickstand for you bike.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Get an adjustable kickstand or a mountain bike style kickstand. Most are universal and don't require a mounting plate on the bike because the kickstand will come with its own. You can find them online, or locally at the bike shops or sporting goods stores.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I rode my motorized mountain bike for a year without a kickstand, kind of a pain in the butt, so I understand your situation. My frame had no kickstand mounting plate, and the rear legs of the frame are a wide oval which would be tough to mount one too. I ended up getting this heavy duty double leg kickstand from CrowCycles http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/kickstand?limit=500 and I love it. They have lots of sizes and styles, I think you should look over what they have and you should find something that would work for you. The one I bought mounts with a plate on top that is bolted to the kickstand on the bottom, it basically just sandwiches your frame just behind the bottom bracket, so it should fit most bikes. If your bike has bare cables run down under the bottom bracket for the dérailleurs you might have some interference there, I had to drill a carefully positioned hole through the kickstand to let the cable for the rear dérailleur through. At first I thought this was gonna be a problem but it worked out really well. Since you have a tall bike I would suggest you look at this one http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-...-kickstand-screw-adjust-black-extra-tall.html . The legs are adjustable, so you just mount it on the bike and then screw the legs down until they hit the ground...
I LOVE mine, its really heavy duty, I set the legs so it lifts the rear wheel up a bit so I can kick start the motor with the pedal. I am highly satisfied with mine......

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Don't know how you lived without one. Don't know how you couldn't find one, either.

Go to this web page. I have the one on the bottom (29.99). It's GARBAGE. That's my opinion, though. Get whatever you'd like..

kick stands

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Don't know how you lived without one. Don't know how you couldn't find one, either.

Go to this web page. I have the one on the bottom (29.99). It's GARBAGE. That's my opinion, though. Get whatever you'd like..

kick stands
I got the same/similar kickstand for less from the other source. I don't think it's junk, I actually like it a lot. Mine is very solid, all steel except the screw in legs, which are thick aluminum. The source I linked to carries the "extra tall" version of this kickstand that might be needed on a 29" bike.
Before I had purchased mine a read a review that said they like the kickstand, but make sure you tighten down the legs before you ride, otherwise they might vibrate out and disappear on you. I decided to use some blue locktite on the threads to make sure this doesn't happen to me, so far so good... Good luck on your quest to find a kickstand....

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I got the same/similar kickstand for less from the other source. I don't think it's junk, I actually like it a lot. Mine is very solid, all steel except the screw in legs, which are thick aluminum. The source I linked to carries the "extra tall" version of this kickstand that might be needed on a 29" bike.
Before I had purchased mine a read a review that said they like the kickstand, but make sure you tighten down the legs before you ride, otherwise they might vibrate out and disappear on you. I decided to use some blue locktite on the threads to make sure this doesn't happen to me, so far so good... Good luck on your quest to find a kickstand....
Nightcruiser.

My problems aren't with the legs on the kickstand. It's with the bolt that tightens it onto the frame. That one keeps getting loose, and vibrating. It's not loose all the way where it falls off. Just loose as in loosens up a bit, enough to vibrate and make an annoying sound.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Nightcruiser.

My problems aren't with the legs on the kickstand. It's with the bolt that tightens it onto the frame. That one keeps getting loose, and vibrating. It's not loose all the way where it falls off. Just loose as in loosens up a bit, enough to vibrate and make an annoying sound.
I made a lower muffler mounting bracket that I secured to the kick stand, which adds some additional stability to mine, perhaps that is preventing this problem from happening on my bike? That said, like any other bolt on a bike with a motor, I would try some blue loctite on the kickstand bolt. The vibrations from the motor does a he11 of a job loosening nuts and bolts! Loctite usually solves this problem...
BTW, last year I rode the bike without a muffler mount bracket (or kickstand) and I must admit I am surprised how much difference having the muffler properly secured makes. At top speed I used to get some vibration and the motor would kind of cycle between solid pull and weak pull. This year it just remains solid and stable all the while....
Remember, loctite is your friend!

PS He11 is on the naughty word list, really?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Hahaha, Nightcruiser. He11 is a bad word (I guess we're all 8), lol.

I was thinking about loctite. I just didn't do it yet. I'm too busy with other ideas.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hahaha, Nightcruiser. He11 is a bad word (I guess we're all 8), lol.

I was thinking about loctite. I just didn't do it yet. I'm too busy with other ideas.
I guess when the vibration from the kickstand gets in your brain enough to distract you from thinking about your other ideas you will break out the loctite! LOL