I wanna go faster! Help me do it =)

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Like the man said...go buy a motorcycle. These are, always have been and always will be MOTORIZED BICYCLES. They are not designed or meant to keep up with traffic. If your 35 mph claim is accurate consider yourself lucky and if you're not satisfied, go see the Harley or Honda dealer. I'm sure you'll find something there that will satisfy your need for speed.
Tom
Couldn't have said it better myself. These are meant to cruise and have fun, not win a race. They make great bobber style motorcycles with a 200cc engine that can go 70 top speed...but a motorized bicycle, IMHO, is made for show and tell and gas mileage...to just have fun. Same as those of us who like cruiser fat tire single speed vintage bicycles...when we cruise, we do just that cruise..mbv.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Erm... sorry, gonna hafta disagree w/you a bit here - what these builds are "meant" for is completely up to the builder.

"Show and tell & gas mileage... to just have fun" is indeed part of it, but hardly the whole story for everyone. Some are built to "win a race" http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743.html ...and those guys help the rest of us with their innovative ideas and advancements, same as with other motor vehicle racing.

I personally ride a "cruiser fat tire single speed vintage bicycle" (tho it's a single speed no longer) http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html and although I do jus' "cruise" from time to time, I assure you that's not what I built it for lol - I spent way too much time tweakin' the motor to jus' putt around at idle speeds :p

I use it and my mountain bike as daily commuters, averaging roughly 6000+ miles a year between them - the Schwinn mountain bike is the winter beater & trial hog, also not exactly just "cruising" as it spends waaaay too much time in the air or sideways to meet that definition heh

"Having fun" is w/o a doubt the most important thing, but that's jus' the start - the "what and how" of the ride is as diverse as our memberbase... and honestly, that's one of the things I love the most about these things (^)

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
I stand corrected...now I remember why I never relpy with my opinion on forums. The minute that I do, someone has to disagree with me. If you just stay neutral and don't express your thoughts or opinons then there is no-one there to " Errr...umm...disagree with you. " :) I plan on making bland comments from now on...just safer that way.

-Eric

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, that's not really how I meant it... but ofc that means I'm gonna hafta disagree a lil more... dang, catch 22 o_O

You should express yer opinion, defo disagree with others if ya feel differently - it's kinda the point really, neutrality & silence don't provide much to be learned. S'long as it's chill and nobody is rude *shrug*

I was jus' tryin' to point out the diversity, the many reasons folks find to play around with MBs... I didn't mean to ruffle yer feathers none.

Last edited:

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
No problem man...thanks for explaining what you meant. I have been wounded by several forums in the past and am a bit overly sensitive. All is good in the neighborhood!!! :)

-Eric

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my response to everyone that says "buy a motorcycle... bicycles aren't meant to go that fast..." or whatever, my reply is this;

"says who?"

human beings have always been fascinated by speed. take almost every vehicle ever built, and there's someone out there thinking "i could make that go really fast..."

from shopping carts to barstools, lawn tractors to bicycles, honda civics to chevy impalas, there's always gonna be someone to hotrod it.

it may not be safe, or practical, or a brilliant idea, but someone will still push the limits, no matter how crazy or stupid it may turn out.

i love taking something that so many people consider a piece of junk and proving what it can actually do.

As for speed validation... other than pretty much the speeds you've quoted, it starts getting really hard to believe - sure it's not impossible, the land speed record for an Altered Gasoline 50cc engine is around 70mph, but there's no way in heck these Chinese engines are gonna reach that...
wanna bet? :)

i know most of the "slow down..." posts are meant as advice, but sometimes it comes off as an insult. i also know most of those guys giving that advice have all been there, wrenching on whatever jalopy or motorcycle they had when they were younger and stupider, so cut the new kids some slack. let them take their lumps and learn the old fashion way.

just about every major advancement in motor vehicle technology has come from racing. if it wins on sunday, it sells on monday. someone's gotta be out there risking it all, right?

in my opinion and experience, riding with traffic is a lot safer than doing 30mph in the bike lane, or worse, in the gutter on the side of the road, inches from cars flying by.

i'm not tryin' to get you guys mad, just stating my opinion, as an opinion, and not a statement.

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
We can all get bogged down in the legalism of what we should or shouldn't do...if a motorized bicycle is made for speed or economic or ect, ect...bottom line, if someone wants to go fast, let em...if they want to cruise around at 15mph, let em.

I guess my personal opinion...and only my opinion, is living in Oregon...where the laws are F-ed UP, I don't want something that goes mega-fast...to me, that is one more reason for " The Man " to reach out his arm and stop me from enjoying my hobby...Again, this is only my opinion and is a preference rather than what is fact.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
wanna bet? :)

i know most of the "slow down..." posts are meant as advice, but sometimes it comes off as an insult. i also know most of those guys giving that advice have all been there, wrenching on whatever jalopy or motorcycle they had when they were younger and stupider, so cut the new kids some slack. let them take their lumps and learn the old fashion way.
Not to infer dissension in the ranks as it's jus' preference & opinion, same as anythin' else...

I've not once, ever told anyone to "slow down" or "get a motorcycle" - TBH it'd be more than a lil hypocritical for me to say that :oops:

I'm sure those that do are jus' being responsible, concerned for folk's safety and the legal problems they may find themselves in... but suffice to say I don't feel I can advise people with concerns I personally ignore every day... I'm not exactly "new" but I still seem after "gettin some lumps" lol

In any case - I know it's meant well, no insult intended & as I jus' mentioned previously, we're all open to expressing opinions & disagreeing so long as it's kept civil.

The only beef I've had with speed talk here is unsubstianted claims - you'll note that although I "got the need fer the speed" I've never made any speed claim. This is for two reasons, the first is minor - I'm not competitive and I don't care, the second is far more critical - I've never filmed my GPS at speed to prove any claim, I'm usually far too busy at those speeds managing our lovely roads to fiddle w/a cam heh ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Please don't take the following personal baird - it ain't 'bout you, it's a general forum thing...there are thousands of members from all walks of life ;)

The problems I have with unsubstantiated claims may not be as obvious as the "fish stories" you'd think - although those are annoying. I'm not sure why some new member with his stock HT thinks the rest of the memberbase is gonna swallow their "ZOMG I jus' did 60" when most of us all ride the same motors & some of us have sweated & bled to get every last bit out of our engines, yet still fall well short of the mark.

The major beef I've got is unrealistic expectations, all those newer members happy with their bikes readin' bout how with jus' a quartz crystal taped to the fuel line to "polarize teh positive zen of teh fuel molecules" you too can break the sound barrier w/a 35cc weedwacker motor.

Suddenly, all those new guys look at their rides w/disappointment - bummed they've got a "lemon" that can "only" do 30 something. Usually those same folks that are prone to ridiculous and unproven claims are the same folks offering ridiculous & bad advice - so now we've got a buncha newbs busting up their motors & expecting the world from "easy fixes" and starting to hate the bike they loved so much.

There's also the gurus, those with real skills that spend huge amounts of time and money gettin' everything outa their setups and then some, fighting for every last mile per hour, going the extra to see what can be actually done. As with anything, they're a bit rare - rarer still are the ones willing and able to share their hard-earned secrets with the rest of us... only to be "thanked" with oneupmanship, somebody has jus' gotta claim another 5mph over, just to get "rep", to sound cool or w/e - every time this happens, it's a slap in the face for the guy who busted hump and actually did something more than a regear and set his speedo to KPH instead of MPH.

So, the guy w/skills stops bothering to post and we're left with the braggadocio alone, sort of a "reverse Darwinism" if you will.

Personally? I wanna see records broken, I'd love to hear about how it was done - you can bet I'll be there readin' and memorizing every detail & following yer advice, rippin' my motor down & tinkerin' away...

...but if ya can't be bothered to hand the cam to a buddy in a chase car or film the GPS, don't bother to post what speeds ya think ya reached as honestly? The folks who know these motors are either laughing at ya, or really want to know ALL of the exact details down to the last MPH precisely - because after all, with these tiny lil motors it really is about the most fractional gains.

Without proof - it's all jus' stories *shrug*

Last edited:

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Personally? I wanna see records broken, I'd love to hear about how it was done - you can bet I'll be there readin' and memorizing every detail & following yer advice, rippin' my motor down & tinkerin' away...

...but if ya can't be bothered to hand the cam to a buddy in a chase car or film the GPS, don't bother to post what speeds ya think ya reached as honestly? The folks who know these motors are either laughing at ya, or really want to know ALL of the exact details down to the last MPH precisely - because after all, with these tiny lil motors it really is about the most fractional gains.

Without proof - it's all jus' stories *shrug*
BarelyAWake, this last posting was awesome. Thank you for sharing your thoughts...seriously, post of the month material. Very insightfull, again thank you!!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
No worries, Barely, i don't take anything personally. especially over the internet...:)

i agree with you, and my post wasn't aimed at you, even what i quoted from you was used as an example. there's a lot of people out there that don't think these motors can do anything. i like proving those people wrong.

i also agree on the proof. which is kinda funny since i've never posted any, but at least i have reliable witnesses. :)

tomorrow, i'm meeting up with a couple people, with a GPS and a video camera, so...

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
To those of you that think the guy is lying:
If he got an engine with more ideal engine balance (ie: lighter piston and wrist pin or flywheels with more weight removed from around the con rod pivot) then it is very possible he reached higher-than-normal speeds. The engine imbalance is the greatest hindrance these engines have. Maybe the chinese factory finally ran out of the out-of-balance parts and now are utilizing ones that give better balance.
So your telling me he just so happened to get a motor that is balanced,lighter piston and or flywheel????Your out of control....This guy has a stock motor like the rest of us and it doesnt even have a aftermarket carb,exaust pipe or anything else....
John