What My Local Bike Shop Thinks....

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
The ones that pi$$ me of are the groups thinking there in the pelaton in the tour de France and wont let you pass (I could go on). Unfortunatly getting back up to speed again in my 85 diesel, blows black smoke down the road for the next mile.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The one up game never seams to solve it lol. That's why we have laws and peace officers. I got a lot of respect for our peace officers. The stuff they endure and put up with! As the old saying gos Why Cant We All Get Along?

I show all the patience and courtesy I can. That's about the best I can think of.

All the riding I done in my day. I should'a took the user name Supreme Gutter Rider. I don't need the road that is for the cars. Gutter always had plenty enough room and love of the road for me. Give me a gutter and I will show you how to cross a city. I mostly take as many neighborhood side streets as possible and that makes for a enjoyable quite ride.;)

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I really enjoy flying by spandex riders while smiling and waving. You'd be amazed by the stares that I get. All of the bike shops that I have spoken to here have been fairly indifferent to the idea of a motorized bicycle however.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes- while two abreast is perfectly legal, it's dangerous for everyone- I used to have a cycling buddy who never shut up, and would ride next to me just to yap- drove me carzy!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a few weeks ago i got the ultimate compliment from a hardcore spandexter after him and his buddies caught up to me at a light on PCH.

he said "that's the first bike i've seen that's done right..."

i told him he was the first road biker to give me a compliment.

as far as bike stores go around here, the guy at the oldtimey shop in Newport Beach said i ruined my Colson, one shop down the street just wants me to keep buying innertubes, headsets and bottom brackets, and that's about all they're good for, the other shop goes out of their way to ignore me and has a huge selection of Nirve cruisers, yet no tools, tires, tubes, or parts for them, and the other shop caters to the weekend spandex crowd and thinks everyone who actually rides anything for fun is doing it wrong.

seems like my "real" bike shop is the swap meet and ebay.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I live in a small town of a little over 18,000 so we only have one bike shop, I had been going in the shop and picking up odds & ends for a while before I even told the guy what I was getting the stuff for, so I made it a point to create a friendly relationship with the owner before he ever knew about the motorized bikes he was helping me build, I called him asking about the heavy duty 1/2" X 3/16" chain and when he said he had some, I just hopped on my old USA built roadmaster mountain bike and made that 8 or so mile trip to town to pick it up and this is when he saw what he had been indirectly helping me do, he looked real hard at my bike and then just smiled real big and shook his head as he spouted several positive comments about it and commented on the stuff on the bike that he knew I had bought from him, I wanted this guy to know me before he met the bike, I figured he would take the bike better if he already thought good of me and seen me as a good customer, I had a plan to win over my local guy before I ever showed him what I was up too and in this case it seems to have worked out very well.

Last edited:

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I live in a small town of a little over 18,000 so we only have one bike shop, I had been going in the shop and picking up odds & ends for a while before I even told the guy what I was getting the stuff for, so I made it a point to create a friendly relationship with the owner before he ever knew about the motorized bikes he was helping me build, I called him asking about the heavy duty 1/2" X 3/16" chain and when he said he had some, I just hopped on my old USA built roadmaster mountain bike and made that 8 or so mile trip to town to pick it up and this is when he saw what he had been indirectly helping me do, he looked real hard at my bike and then just smiled real big and shook his head as he spouted several positive comments about it and commented on the stuff on the bike that he knew I had bought from him, I wanted this guy to know me before he met the bike, I figured he would take the bike better if he already thought good of me and seen me as a good customer, I had a plan to win over my local guy before I ever showed him what I was up too and in this case it seems to have worked out very well.

I went into my local bike shop (We only have one) the other day and was asking around about a motorized bike i had seen there.. he told me that he actually had two. One was his project and the other was from a kid that trashed the bottom bracket. Whilst in there i noticed he was working by himself and ha a shop slam full of bikes... So i asked him if he needed some help. He said he couldnt afford it, so i offered to work for free.. *I know, impossible sounding right* He said he would consider it and i left for the day.. I went in the next day to buy an innertube and look at the bike again. I asked him if he considered it and he said he did, but said no thanks.. So i went back into the shop to look at the bike, and 20 min later he had me turning wrenches and fixing bikes... So instead of working for free he said he would let me work off the bike... And now ladies and gents, that bike is mine! He said i needed a new wheel set so i will order one and i should be on the road tomorrow... You never know what you can find at your local bike store!
xct2

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
Good Day,
I live in a small town also and have found the owner very open to the bike with a motor. I bought a couple of low end items from him which made me a "customer" at the git go so that helps.
He was making an electric bike at the time so was curious about the motor on mine. He's been a lot of help from the bike side but not much on the motor.
:)

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I've been to my bike shop a couple times before, so the owner knew me. Then, I went to buy a new chain for a cruiser my engine was on, and he had another old bike about to be thrown out. It was a mountain bike, so I grabbed that, and fixed it up for $10. I told the owner about my motorized bike, and he seemed a bit interested. He doesn't seem to dislike or like the idea of an engine- he's helpful though- at least he isn't opposed to it.

It's a good idea to get to know the bike shop guy before mentioning the engine part...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It's a good idea to get to know the bike shop guy before mentioning the engine part...[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, that was my plan with my local bike shop owner because I think maybe having the motor on the bike may make some of them feel like you are getting one up on them and that causes them to react in a negative way toward the bike with a motor on it, I wanted to make him feel that in a small way he was a part of what I had done so maybe he would see the bike and the first thought would be something like ( Hey.... those are my parts on that bike and it look kinda cool) that way the guy see's that he prospered in some way from what I had done with the bike, I even bragged about a couple of the parts and let him know how much I was enjoying having them on my bike, some may say that is just plain sucking up, but it wasnt sucking up it was just what I choose to call "Wise Flattery" If you make them feel good about it they will bite and you can gently reel them in, kinda like dealing with most women......! WOW....! (That statement could get me in big trouble with the wife....!)
dance1

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
After many negative responses from most the bike shops around here, I was surprised to find out on this forum through a newbee, that one I hadnt thought of sells motors not sure about parts.WOW

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I dunno. I, as the end consumer of a product would not go back to an establishment that thought my purchases did not meet their standards for use. My hand may be out but my cash is in it and spends just as well down the street or online. I can replace them. Can that shop replace me as an income source? The consumer is ultimately in charge. Unless you give a zealot power over you, it remains yours

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
awesome Fair. Can you post name an' address? I am far away but would like to point folks to good shops

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
awesome Fair. Can you post name an' address? I am far away but would like to point folks to good shops
oppss, sorry buddy I deleted that post lol.

JJ Bicycles
640 North Stone Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85705-8349
(520) 882-8858

Welcomes MB's and excellent repair service.