Vert. Earthquake Auger Tiller Engine, HF Centeral Machinery

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Been looking for an engine to replace my Honda gx31 that I ripped the engine casing/housing in half. Found a couple of engines but not sure if they would work or if they are able to be mounted horizonal without any engine damage. If you could let me know I would appreciate it.

Looked at the Harbor Freight Central Machinery 1.5 hp Auger engine = $159.00, and the Earthquake 43cc 2 cycle Auger engine.

both of these engines are mounted vertical, Are they able to be mounted horizontal without any damage to engine? I don't plan on using the stock gas tank.

Any reviews on these engines with a bicycle build?

I know the RPM at the bit is 150 rpm but that is with a 40 to 1 gear reduction.

The guy at harbor freight didn't know and it was not listed the max rpm the engine turned.

I think both of these have the 76mm centrifugal clutch. Not sure though, If anyone knows, I would appreciate it. I took some picts of the HF Central Machinery Auger engine when I was at the store. Check attachments.
Thanks,

I figured, If it would work I would just buy the whole damn auger. take off the engine and sell the rest on ebay.

Thanks,

Attachments

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Here is a link of the engine on Harbor Freights website:

1.5 HP Gasoline Auger Drill

It looks horizontal mounted in the pict.

Not sure if it has a 76mm clutch drum. Anyone know if this would mount up to my Staton box.

The Staton box I have is noisy as **** and is louder than a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke mounted to it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here is a link of the engine on Harbor Freights website:

1.5 HP Gasoline Auger Drill

It looks horizontal mounted in the pict.

Not sure if it has a 76mm clutch drum. Anyone know if this would mount up to my Staton box.

The Staton box I have is noisy as **** and is louder than a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke mounted to it.
Check out this link, and all your questions on this should be answered.

Bicycle Engine Kit - Engines

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Harbor Freight 1.5 HP 52cc Water Pump ?!???

I went into Harbor Freight today and got a Water Pump with engine that was scratched and dented for $40.00. It is 1.5 HP 52cc's. I'm trying for the life of me to get the impeller off, but do not know how. Does anyone know if this has the 76mm centrifugal clutch? It looks like it does, but I can not get the engine separated from the water pump case/impeller. Please see picts and if you could tell me how to get the impeller/shaft/water pump case separated from the engine I would appreciate it.

Check picts in attachements. It will not separate. What do i do? Thanks,

When I turn the impeller the engine turns over. Is the clutch stuck, does it have a centrifugal clutch? It will not separate from the engine.

Thanks,

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
They don't even show that pump on their web site, I tried to find it.
If you go back to the store, and do not tell them what you want to do with it, just give them the part number, they should be able to print out an exploded view parts diagram showing you what goes where. It may help you figure out how it is assembled and what you need to do to get it apart.
The part number should be on your receipt or on a yellow sticker somewhere on the thing itself.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Here is a link or URL:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...o?itemid=66585&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

It turns out a couple of other people have made builds with it on the other forum and they sound happy with them. Hoping for a response on how they separated the water pump from the engine.

From what others are saying though, the engine does not have a clutch, but can be added. I think my honda gx31 clutch might fit it.

It is 1.5 hp, 52cc's 6500 rpm, It is just like Harbor Freights Gas Auger Engine, but no clutch, you have to add.

It was on the shelf for $99.99 new in box. I got one out of the back in a scratch and dent pile for $40.00 after talking the manager down.

If anyone knows how to separate the engine from the impeller/water pump housing, please chime in. I now put my bike on a bus to carry me up the hills because I lost my engine back in Florida. I'm In North Carolina right now.

Thanks,

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I went to your link, (not sold in Kaliforgnia, no wonder I couldn't find it) and at the bottom right corner is has a green box "download product manual".
I clicked on it to view the PDF and on pages 14 through 16 it has the exploded view.
It shows a tapered and keyed output shaft on the engine. I could only surmise that the pump impeller either threads onto the shaft and the direction of rotation would only thread it on further when the impeller incurs resistance to rotation (like a rear sprocket on a bicycle hub) woodruff key not needed, or there is some sort of mounting adapter inside the aluminum housing that retains the impeller.
I wish I could be of more help to you.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I remember taking a pool pump apart in the 80's,,seal was out and It was threaded to the motor shaft

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
First time I saw these replies, I got a linkback reply today. Not sure what that is/was. Anyhow, yea the impeller was screwed on.

Got the engine on the bike, it has more power than the 4 stoke I had but is not as reliable.

Here is a pict. of my bike on the Blue Ridge Parkway in N.C. this summer with the waterpump engine.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, great pic.

Cool it has more power. How is it not as reliable? (and bummer about that) How much reduction did you use and would love to see close up pics if you get a chance. Would like to build one myself