What do you ride with in your tool kit?

GoldenMotor.com

SAABstoryATL

Oct 8, 2009
Deep in the heart of Dixie
Howdy Y'all.

Simple question, when you go out for a long ride or work commute, what tools do you carry with you?

Here is a photo and break-down of my kit.

1: Needle Nose Pliers
2: 4th Hand Tool.
3: Folding allen set. 6,5,4,3,2.5,2mm.
4: adjustable wrenches.
5: hinged ratchet with a deep 10mm socket.
6: spark plug socket
7: small and large flat head screw drivers.
8: phillips head screw driver.
9: Chain tool (for bicycle chain)
10: Chain tool (for engine drive chain)
11: 10mm wrench.
12: closed end offset 8 and 10mm
13: happytime gear puller.
14: Diagonal cutters.
All that fits into a little bag and weighs maybe 3 or 4 pounds.

I also carry a small bottle of extra pre-mix gas(a liter). A spare tube, patches, tire levers, Co2 inflator and spare Co2 cartridges.

I usually ride with a backpack or messenger bag. I also keep a pair of rain pants, a lightweight rain jacket shell, wet weather gloves and a bandanna in which ever bag im using.

Im sure your set up might be a little different. Im using a 48cc 2stroke engine....

I wonder If I spent the cash to get a a higher quality engine, Id be able to carry less tools... Hrmm?
laff

What are your "must have" when riding?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I used to carry a full tool kit for breakdowns,,,
since going to the 4stroke, now I carry them out of habit (^)
laff

I don't carry anything for flats since getting my armadillos (2600+ miles, no flats !!! :))

RecycleBill

Oct 31, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
I don't carry anything for flats since getting my armadillos (2600+ miles, no flats !!! :))
I've never tried armadillos but I will.

A local bicycle shop sold me a 20" 100 psi slick called an Animal that is made in New York. I put them on my trike. Some kid tied the trike to his car and dragged it over two miles with the wheels chained so the could not roll and while they flat spotted big time they're still holding plenty of air over a year later. I still use them today but mostly for trying out new builds I plan to take apart.

And I don't go far...

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
A 4 way screwdriver, small metric allen set, a chainsaw wrench (plug), extra plug, 10mm end wrench, spare clutch cable, pliers, rain pullover, couple pieces of light rope, bike lock, cell phone. Quit the handle bar bag got a rear rack and a trunk bag. Like it way better. I ride on Servas Survivors with 4 layers of flat protection and inverse tread flats are no longer a problem. I always set the bike lock to the same numbers so I know if it's been tampered with. I have had it messed with 3 times so far.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A 10mm combo wrench, a lil adjustable wrench, and a multitool.

I used ta carry more but as time wore on and I never needed them - I now only "load up" for the long trips. One day when I was in a hurry and my stuff was scattered all over the floor, I hopped on my ride and zoomed off. I noticed a distinct improvement in acceleration without alla crap in my bags - even though it really didn't seem that much weight o_O

I do carry a small pump and spare tube, patch kits just plain suck - if I don't have a tube, betcha I'll get a seam tear and patches never really work on those lol

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Stuff i carry in a bag(i only do short trips):
1 - pliers
2- small adjustable wrench
3 - phillips and flat head combo screw driver
4 - patch in case of flat tire(can get air fron gas station)
5- 2oz small bottle of 2-stroke oil
6- 3 bungie cords
7- a rag

My peddal and engine chain are same size and have master links and are swappable with each other.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o.o

recommended edit: "a small plastic bottle of bourbon is a definite must have in case of an emergency"

:D carry on, nufin' to see here...

aquarianmonkey

Sep 27, 2009
sedona Az.
2 Adjustable wrenches and a Blackburn folding tool kit that fits in my riding jacket. Twin half gallon tanks and some oil if I need to fill up at a gas station

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
A combination screwdriver
small adjustable wrench
5mm allen wrench - almost all allen screws on bikes (my bike at least) are 5mm
tube patch kit
Co2 inflater and cartridge

all of this fits in an old army ammo pouch that is attached to my sissy bar. Plus I always have my leatherman tool and cell phone on my belt. I used to have saddle bags for grocery and/or beer runs in which I would carry a small bottle of oil, but after switching seats I haven't gotten around to putting them back on.