Intake

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
A tuned intake is incredibly important on a piston port motor. It uses the inertia of air to act as a valve.
I'm learing that now BIG TIME. Apparently much more important with tuned pipe vs stock. Trying to figure a way to get benefit of no cover yet still have some kind of filter. Maybe try a shorter or longer intake or bigger foam disk. Problem is clearance of seat tube. clutch cable, etc..

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
lol and a good thing the motor stops most of the stuff from the front wheel. I'll pay the price but I luv those dirt roads and trails.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
xlite - I'm sure you've musta seen this thread at some point or another, but if ya really wanna run w/o a filter havin something like that but jus leavin the box empty might be an idea;

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

Ofc you could route it anywhere ya wanted, the hose being w/e length you wish.
I would never consider running w/o a filter except for very short test runs like when troubleshooting the tuned pipe problem. Dust that we don't even see makes an excellent cylinder enlargement abrasive. :eek: I wore out a Homelight engine in jig time trying that trick. Two local fellows tried it with HTs and lost compression in 1/10th the expected lifetime. Big no-no.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I would never consider running w/o a filter except for very short test runs like when troubleshooting the tuned pipe problem. Dust that we don't even see makes an excellent cylinder enlargement abrasive. :eek: I wore out a Homelight engine in jig time trying that trick. Two local fellows tried it with HTs and lost compression in 1/10th the expected lifetime. Big no-no.
Ahh - thanks for that voice of reason, it was freakin' me out a lil that so many were discussin' "no" filter lol

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
xlite - I'm sure you've musta seen this thread at some point or another, but if ya really wanna run w/o a filter havin something like that but jus leavin the box empty might be an idea;

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

Ofc you could route it anywhere ya wanted, the hose being w/e length you wish.

Since my motor was such a tight fit and I had to modify the intake pipe and side draft it out I'm able to keep the carb and filter/cover away from the motor and bike frame itself....away from the hot engine and back tire spewing up crap from the road.....I've nary a problem other than on occasion having to retorq the clamps ( air leak )....it works just fine for me....aint all that attractive but....( shrugs )

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah - I had to do somethin' similar, but it looks as if I had a hair more room than you so I was able to keep it tucked in a bit more.

I only went "extreme" with the airbox cause I wanted to quiet it down some and the 1/2' of mud I call a trail wouldn't care where the stock "filter" was - it'd still find a way in :p

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Yeah - I had to do somethin' similar, but it looks as if I had a hair more room than you so I was able to keep it tucked in a bit more.

I only went "extreme" with the airbox cause I wanted to quiet it down some and the 1/2' of mud I call a trail wouldn't care where the stock "filter" was - it'd still find a way in :p

I've stated before in the forum that the intake * whine * doesn't bother me as I'm almost deaf....( silver lining ? )....LOL....as long as it works huh ?

Laters,
Salty.shft.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I was think an old intake boot form a car like those 3 cylinder geos from the junkyard and routing it to the back of the bike beside my scooter trunk and a cone filter for the rain may work btw anyone ever try to convert motorcycle seat or scooter dirt bike to fit on a bike frame????

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I tried extending the carb with hose like that couple years ago but it cost me 2mph so I ended up taking the filter cover off instead.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
When I remove the plastic holding the filter and used the filter little cage inside I lost have my power maybe more after I put the cover back on with the filter not touching the valve it run normal again did you have this problem??

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
When I remove the plastic holding the filter and used the filter little cage inside I lost have my power maybe more after I put the cover back on with the filter not touching the valve it run normal again did you have this problem??
Taking the plastic cover off gives me more power on an engine with stock exhaust but bogs top end with the SBP pipe installed. Apparently exhaust needs intake tuned to match.

PS punctuation helps others understand what you are trying to say.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Drill a few more small holes in the plastic on the back of the stock cleaner- it breathes better, but still keeps things out and the element is still in place. The plastic drills easily

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Drill a few more small holes in the plastic on the back of the stock cleaner- it breathes better, but still keeps things out and the element is still in place. The plastic drills easily
Nice thanks Nashville I drill 4 holes on the plastic cap and notice a little more power and was a lot louder sucking all the air in works better.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Nice thanks Nashville I drilled 4 holes on the plastic cap and notice a little more power and was a lot louder sucking all the air in works better.