what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
You need some of those newfangled studded tires....
I'd pay to watch a Texan ride studs on ice !
Sorry to hear that the weather is so unusually crudddddddy for you right now.
On a different note: I went to pick up the flying pigeon today....
It's not a pigeon it's a very old euro something .
I'm actually kind of disappointed, I dare not screw with this one. Darn it anyway.....

:-||

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I haven't done a damn thing yet, to my bike. Waiting for the motor, flipped the handle bars around, sat the seat back to make it look 'board racer-ish' then wondered wtf I'm doing.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You need some of those newfangled studded tires....
I'd pay to watch a Texan ride studs on ice !
Sorry to hear that the weather is so unusually crudddddddy for you right now.
On a different note: I went to pick up the flying pigeon today....
It's not a pigeon it's a very old euro something .
I'm actually kind of disappointed, I dare not screw with this one. Darn it anyway.....

:-||

LOL.... dont be surprised if we couldnt ride with studs on ice as well as anyone else....!

Well, I should say dont be surprised if some of us could do it as well as anyone else..LOL

Ya know everywhere you go there are those that can barely walk and chew gum at the same time and to watch some of those folks give it a try would be a big laugh I'm sure.

I just wish we had a chance to get on some good solid ice once a year and ride with spiked tires, I'd be game for it in a heartbeat, there was a time when we could have years ago, but it doesn't stay cold enough down here anymore for the stock tanks to freeze over.

But it seems the weather cycle is starting to change beck around a bit, last few years we have started to get more freezing rain, snow and sleet again like we did last night, 21 degrees this morning and a high today of about 34, but it doesn't last long anymore, by Monday and Tuesday back up to 65, we only have about 3 more weeks of potential colder weather and then we will be in spring warm up and the storm season will come, Hail, High winds and tornadoes..... eek..... Don't care much for that mess but at least in bewtween worrying about getting our homes blown away and loosing everything we have, we can get a little wor weather riding in until it gets so hot the the tires dang near melt off the bike...LOL!

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Geez .
I think I'll stay here. 65 degrees today and crystal clear...... Winter , gota love it....

Even the wife's dog is digi'n the day.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thats great,will be glad to get those nice warmer days down here before long.

65 degrees and you're sitti g on the porch?

Get a bike out and hit those Happy Trails.....!!!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Been through there couple three times motor homing it. Perty there -26 this morning and supose to 52 on Tuesday,can't wait ..................Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Finally got some time to mess with the bike some more and swapped out my 44 tooth rear for a 40 tooth as well as converting the front brakes to a disc brake setup. I'll ride it in the morning to see how it does if it stops raining before I have to open up shop.

I also worked that other bike that belongs to one of my customers some more, still not starting, but it has spark and good compression so I'm thinking he either has his mag rotor on backward or a really bad air leak somewhere I hadn't found yet. I just bought another engine so it might go in his bike just to get him back up and running, then while on ebay I also scored 2 KX 65 expansion chamber pipes for $40 since this guy wants a pipe like mine and I want to build a new pipe for mine I'll either give him my pipe or make him one out of one of the KX pipes.
Also ordered another jug from another seller on ebay to see if it's the type I like using and modifying... we'll see what comes in and if it's the good ones or not soon...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If it aint raining here tomorrow Ill make a good road trip, and tinker with some bike stuff.

Got the old white Huffy tore down a little for general maintenance and may end up sticking one of my GT5 dax lowers together for it, and put the rough old BGF engine on the shelf until I can put a better crank in it.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
rode my motorbike to my friends house, then after took it on a ride around the periphery of my town. took a little shorter route but I still went past the Folsom Prison and the lake like usual. then took all the residential streets, past all the nicer homes and finally ending it off with a hill bomb. I usually get around 40-42 down this one particular hill, but today was a bit more windy so only 37

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If it aint raining here tomorrow Ill make a good road trip, and tinker with some bike stuff.

Got the old white Huffy tore down a little for general maintenance and may end up sticking one of my GT5 dax lowers together for it, and put the rough old BGF engine on the shelf until I can put a better crank in it.
:Edit of above post:

Working on a jug today, gonna get ports cleaned up for next engine build which will be one of my 38mm stroke dax lowers.

no riding for me today, rained last night, early morning, and been a hit and miss drizzle all day, miles of muddy country roads on a bike with no fenders isn't ideal riding conditions for me.

Suppose to be 70F and sunny by Friday so maybe Ill be able to get a ride in by then.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just ordered a NT Speed carb and an aluminium 36 tooth sprocket and hub adapter.

I think that I will be able to adapt my current CNS V3 carb to the 1931 Briggs motor......

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
@ davezilla-

good compression and spark- leads me to think it is as simple as a sheared or damaged key for the flywheel?
I could only wish... checked for that and all was intact... it could still be an air leak in the case or at the crank seals, or there's a lot of dead fuel inside the case that hadn't flushed out, but this one wont even fire with a shot of ether down the carb so it looks more and more like the wrong mag rotor making a spark but way off timing so it wont fire, the guy gave me a basket of parts including a badly thrashed 49cc engine so its very possible it has the wrong mag rotor installed or one with the key slot in the wrong place. I'm still swapping out his parts with my known good spares whenever I get time to mess with it but I will get it running... I also have another new engine coming to me so I may give him the new engine and keep his to rebuild for a later project since the one I ordered will most likely sit in my stock room until I can find another bike And the time to set it all up.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
spent the afternoon doing some port work and measuring on a couple of the jugs I have and plan to use on future engine builds, I did discover some interesting differences in a couple of the jugs I have, so I will be tinkering with these a bit when I have time again.

trialnerror

Oct 21, 2014
wisconsin
Ithis one wont even fire with a shot of ether down the carb so it looks more and more like the wrong mag rotor making a spark but way off timing so it wont fire.
That sounds about right, In my opinion, if the key was good.
just a quick question on fuel delivery, does that engine have a reed valve as part of the intake system? maybe the reed is stuck- will it fire if you spray a shot of good fuel into the spark plug hole and put the plug back in?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... the key is good and I attempted the start with fresh fuel and freshly rebuilt the carb... so pretty much the only thing left is bad timing unless the magnet is so weak that it can make a spark outside the cylinder but not under compression, but I doubt that's the problem since it's spark is nice, bright, and strong. Didn't have time to lookat it today but I'm leaning more and more toward it being off timing. This engine is still piston port and not modified in any way but it's possible the guy got a lemon from the start or got that mag rotor off another engine where the keyways might be clocked different enough for the timing to be too far off to fire the cylinder, I know the fresh fuel is making it into the cylinder too since it is coming out the exhaust pipe after motoring the engine for about 30 seconds with a cordless drill.
Since I got another engine on order I'll most likely just install that one on his bike and keep his old one since there's like zero wear in his cylinder and on the rings, then I can take a better look at it once I got more time and find out exactly why it's not starting. I may put on one of my spare mag rotors to compare the clocking and see if he just got a bad rotor or the key slot on that crank is in the wrong place.