1st build

GoldenMotor.com

Marcelao

Feb 11, 2014
Brazil
Hi, there im from Brazil and i'm starting a new project , i always wanted something like a moped but here where i live they are so expensive that u would be better buyng a motorcicle , so i decided i would build from scratch a moped, chopper , bobber style

the motor that i want is the KTM 50 clone which is expensive but of course is a sick powerplant
My only doubt is would it handle a large motorcycle whell on the back? or would it be to heavy for this litle beast. the whell i want is a 17 inch 250cc motorcycle wheel for those who have this motor would it be capable of pulling this wheel ? and a 120 kg rider?

Also does anyone know a good place to buy those motors?

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have no real experience with this motor, still 9 Hp is 9Hp.
If your gearing is correct it will pull what ever you want, speed depending.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi marcelao and welcome to our community of motorized bicycle riders, I am not sure how it would do with a cycle tire, I am looking that the new fat bike tires which are over 4 inches. that way you have a large tire to absorb the bumps because I imagine the roads in brazil are like here and very rough and at the same time keep down the weight to get the most out of your bike, great to have you with us and look forward to seeing how you make out

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum, Marcelao. If this is your first motorbike build, I would get a kit motor and mount it on a steel mountain bike or beach cruiser. Mounting the hot KTM mill will require welding and the fat motorcycle tire will likely require that the engine be mounted offset to the motor chain side (not centered in the bike frame). You will also have to cut and weld the exhaust pipe.
If you have the welding and fab skills, or a friend of yours does, build the hot KTM. Otherwise, I think you will be on the road much sooner with a kit motor on a bicycle.

Marcelao

Feb 11, 2014
Brazil
thanks for the replies Frame wise it is going to be a custom made one
I do not like any of the MTb or cruisers desings on the market
I think i might go with the chopper bike rims and a 50cc 4 stroke 4 now it s just easier to do iand i would not need pedals so with the frame design in mind i would use the sprocket bracket as a jackshaft

Marcelao

Feb 11, 2014
Brazil
Ok decided how i wanna go
I'm going for a bobberchopper style using as a frame a custom made Detroit brothers replica
I found here in brazil a moped that has a 4 stroke semi auto 50cc engine with built in pedals
some owners say that can reach 90 km/h on flat surface

but my problem now is i need to get 2 OCC stingray wheels
If someone has them to sale and would not mind in shipping to brazil contact me so i can start it