Wide crank in 4 stroke kit not for multispeed

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Not happy with my recent 4 stroke engine kit purchased from Bikeberry. I assumed this kit described as "everything you need" meant everything I needed to convert my bicycle to a motorbicycle. I have a 7 speed cruiser. The extra wide crank that comes with this kit will not work due to the sprocket on the wide crank kit. This sprocket will only work with the chains designed for single speed up to 5 speed bikes. 6 speeds on up have a different chain. I know I must not be the only that has encountered this. Does anybody have an idea for a solution that will work? I really don't want to spend another $50 plus shipping for a fix. Thanks in advance for any replies.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
thanks for the quick reply. I thought the spacing was off as well as the teeth being wider. I spoke with a bike mechanic this morning and asked him if grinding the teeth would work, his answer was no. Said the spacing is also different. So have you encountered this problem yourself and this was the solution for you? It would be great if it were as simple as this.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Sorry, no pic at this time. I am going to try grinding the sprocket this evening to see if that will work to make the teeth thinner. If it does not correct the issue, then I will get a pic and post. If the grinding works, that will be great for me as well as an answer for others who may encounter this issue in the future. It seems under a search of this forum this has not been addressed, or simply, I could not find the thread for it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Go the other way around, take pics and post first, then wait a bit for an answer. It's easy to remove material, it's a lot harder to put it back.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
thanks crassius! It worked. Thanks everyone else for assisting with responses. I ground down the teeth on one side of the sprocket and now the chain works. Continuing with build.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
glad it worked for you - I hate spending money for things that can be fixed by 10min of work

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
update.. Wide crank from BikeBerry had to be ground down to fit chain for multispeed. The kit from bicycle-engines.com did not need any grinding. I will post in a couple days with the results for gasbikes kit.