Greetings!

GoldenMotor.com

D Pope

Jun 20, 2013
Savannah Ga
Good Day!
Found out about motorized bicycles late last year, only now having time to get started putting one together. Recently purchased a Murray Valiant that aught to look good with a motor. Can't help loving that retro look. Given time, I plan to fab an integral fuel tank and install a larger handlebar, but for now just want to get it running.

Discovered this forum because of Lurker's V-twin build, looking good Lurker!

About me; I have more interests than income so I limit myself to collecting old lighters and shooting darts. Mostly...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

"More interests than income".......I think that describes a good many of us on here!

D Pope

Jun 20, 2013
Savannah Ga
Thanks mate! I'd hoped to be among kindred spirits. If I could find a way to finance my ambition, the resulting collection would rival or exceed the House on the Rock!

D Pope

Jun 20, 2013
Savannah Ga
Thanks Dave!

Yeah, I was thinking I'd do just that. However, after reading Mr.Bs Excalibur build, I doubt that hanging a Chinese kit will add much to the show.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Show us anyway we like to see them all....Its in the way you put them together is what is inportent...the little details make a big difference.........Curt

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Welcome, most of here started with bare bones,I know I did and to this very minute it's still "a work in process". There is a thread here called " WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTOR BIKE TODAY?" and this thread has been going on along time. Some members like myself do a reply (entry) daily for it appears for years . It's on page like 600 something!!!!

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Welcome, most of here started with bare bones,I know I did and to this very minute it's still "a work in process". There is a thread here called " WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MOTOR BIKE TODAY?" and this thread has been going on along time. Some members like myself do a reply (entry) daily for it appears for years . It's on page like 600 something!!!!
Its actually on page 182. Thats a little far from 600 yet, lol.

D Pope

Jun 20, 2013
Savannah Ga
Thanks a lot guys! Sure! I'm happy to share!

Near as I can tell, the Murray Valiant is a replica bike most likely from the ninties. Bought it last week, paid too much, and have only begun to identify its issues.
So far;
1) Loose steering head
2) front wheel bearings 'grinding' (perhaps overtightened)
3) rear wheel loose all over
a) axial & lateral play on bearings (perhaps loose)
b) loose sprocket
c) bent rim, loose spokes (not too bad)
d) mismatched hardware/improper washer stack
4) seat tilt is tight but won't stay
5) fenders fore & aft loose; bent attachments
6) handel bar alignment
7) suspension spring bolt over tightened (into the bracket) missing nut
8) Misc; peeling stickers, corrosion (minor), filth...

These are first approximation issues, I've yet to do much more than pedal around the parking lot.
I have access to great quantities of Aeroshell 22 grease, don’t remember the MIL Spec, does anyone know if this will work on bicycle wheel bearings? High temp/ high pressure.

<Pictures when I learn how to add them>