Walmart FatBikes

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Minor technical difficulties, I'm sure that a person could find some wide pads, or just spacer them out so the arms didn't hit the sidewals of the tires. I guess a fitting saying for this would be, a person will just half to cross that bridge when you get to it

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Minor technical difficulties, I'm sure that a person could find some wide pads, or just spacer them out so the arms didn't hit the sidewals of the tires. I guess a fitting saying for this would be, a person will just half to cross that bridge when you get to it
I don't think it will be an issue of the sidewall sticking out to far. It will be more of how tall the sidewall is that you may run in to the issue for V-Brakes.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ok here is the first impressions review of this bike.

As you could all see from the picture of the box, this thing is huge. Even though I have seen pictures of it with someone on it still doesn't relate how big it is just sitting in the box. Even putting a quarter on the tire won't prepare you for how big it is. Trust me on this... laff

Packaging
I would have to say that they could have done better at packaging these bikes in their shipping boxes. There was several areas that the box got ripped open from either part of the bike poking out of the box or the box being punctured. They did the bare minimum of protecting the bikes finish from being damaged. I got lucky and only found one very small scrape in the paint. There is at least one person I know of that didn't fair as well.

Fit and Finish
The paint job looks to be well done and I haven't found any flaws in it as far as I can tell. It is more along the line of a powder coat look than a semi-gloss finish, but is pleasing to my eye in the color that they picked for the red paint finish.

Though this does bring me to the one flaw I think there is in the finish that they blew it at and that is the decals. Because the finish is more like a powder coating the choice of the type of decals that they choose is bad. It is the type that has a clear background surrounding of the decal art work and is sticks out like a sore thumb.

The construction of the bike seems to be done really well and all the welds that I looked at seem to be flawless for the most part. They look to be solid and no defects in them. Nothing seems to be bent or out of shape, but I did find one little dent in my handle bars which looks to have been there from the start before paint was applied. It is a very small ding and not that noticeable at first glance.

Assemblies
The parts that they build in the factory seem to be assembled well, but I think I need to adjust a couple items before I ride it much more than the short ride I took it on after assembling the bike.

Assembling the Bike
Once everything was pull out from the box and all the protective covering removed the bike was easy to assemble. The only tools I needed was an adjustable wrench, phillips screwdriver, 6mm allen wrench (I believe) and my brain.

I installed the handle bars first so I could flip the bike upside down and install the rest of the items except for the seat. The seat doesn't really need to be installed to flip the bike over and have it stay up right (the rear wheel will work just fine at this point). Total time to put it together I think was at the most 20 minutes with about 10 minutes taking it out of the box. I didn't open up any of the areas that need grease, but they seem to move freely. I would still say you should check out the main areas for proper lube.

Handling and Rideability
The gearing seems to be about right, but it takes just a little bit to get going. On a flat surface it will be supper easy to do, but heading up a hill it will take a little to do it.. (This is where a three speed hub would come in handy.) The bike seems to be super easy in how it handle with the stock setup.

I did feel a little cramp in using it as far as space goes between the seat, handle bars and pedals. Though I still think that could be addressed in doing some adjustments of the handle bars and seat.

Now the handle bars and seat seem a little on the cheap side and I don't like the seat for sure but could live with the handle bars if I had to.

Final Thoughts
This is a great bike so far as long as you keep in mind it isn't going to be one of those High Dollar bikes that several have said it falls short of. It is fun to look at and fun to ride so far.

What can you do with it as far as motorizing it, well I think that making it electric would be a snap. Mounting a gas engine on it looks to be a bit of a challenge, but I think it could be done at first glance. I can see the bottom down tube being a huge hurdle to get over, but that is some of the fun in motorizing a bike.

I this bike for everyone, NO but it sure is fun.
Cool Draco. Thanks for the review!

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here are some updates on the Fat bike. Some needed mod are as follows.

1. Change crank to a better set that isn't a boat anchor...
Shimano FC-M361 Acera Crankset @ $28.00 on Amazon
(remove the 42T ring)

2. Install these... "Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers" so you can tighten the chain ring bolts after you remove the 42T ring. @ $10.19 on Amazon

3. Change the tires out to "Super wide Crusher cruiser tires" (
SUNLITE - CLINCHER, TIRES SUNLT 26x3.5 BK/BK WIRE WH-STRIPE Product Code #: JBI-59672) @ $37.48 each on Cloud Electric

4. Handle bars and grips of your choice, plus a better seat.

So here are my costs:
$200 for bike
$28 for crank
$10.19 for crank spacers
$69.96 for tires
$8.50 Grips
$26.38 Handle Bars
$343.03 Total

Now with these changes it rides real nice and easy.

Attachments

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Looks nice draco! And I've been thinking (oh no! Run for your lives!) That if a person had a bike shop dish the non-drive side of the hub out a bit so if you were to have either a rag joint or hub clamping sprocket adapter, the drive chain would clear the tire. You could probably trust the stock coaster brake for a while, but then it'd probably be a good idea to pick up a surly or origin 8 fatbike hubset, I'm not sure how common used ones are but there are about two pairs of them on my local craigslist at any given time. I think I'm going to try this, because I'm ordering myself a new 2 stroke kit soon.

Ccd

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Are the factory wheels true,,and what size spokes are they Draco?

Tom :)
@ Tom
The wheels run true one mine and I think they are 14 gauge spokes.

@ charliechaindrive.
Also I don't think you would have to dish the rear wheel any on this to set it up with a engine kit. Though you would need to create custom motor mounts to do it and it would be a tight fit. I have seen it done already, but I don't like how they did it.

Not my bike...

Attachments

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Holy Sh%#$!!
That thing looks RAD!!!

I will have to build one,,very good job brother!!!

Nice job on the chop and weld mounting,,love the way the motor sits flat and where the CDI is mounted!!!!!

Good Times....

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
As I stated the motorized Huffy Beast is not mine.
Oh crap,,i didn't see that yesterday,,still an awesome build,,would like some closer shots to get a better picture.Good luck on the build!

Another thing I did notice is no front brakes,,that will be a little tricky with that fat wheel,,might just have to go drum,,or disk :)

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here are some updates on the Fat bike. Some needed mod are as follows.

1. Change crank to a better set that isn't a boat anchor...
Shimano FC-M361 Acera Crankset @ $28.00 on Amazon
(remove the 42T ring)

2. Install these... "Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers" so you can tighten the chain ring bolts after you remove the 42T ring. @ $10.19 on Amazon

3. Change the tires out to "Super wide Crusher cruiser tires" (
SUNLITE - CLINCHER, TIRES SUNLT 26x3.5 BK/BK WIRE WH-STRIPE Product Code #: JBI-59672) @ $37.48 each on Cloud Electric

4. Handle bars and grips of your choice, plus a better seat.

So here are my costs:
$200 for bike
$28 for crank
$10.19 for crank spacers
$69.96 for tires
$8.50 Grips
$26.38 Handle Bars
$343.03 Total

Now with these changes it rides real nice and easy.
Draco, it looks killer with your upgrades!

I recently picked a few Beast's myself, my question for you is WHERE'S your motor? LOL...

C.H.
P.S. Could you please share a direct link to where you purchased your upgrades, for us confusor illiterates...

Looking forward to your motorizing your Beast!!!

BTW, here's the link to my thread Stretching a Mongoose Beast to fit a Honda pitbike cloned engine in frame:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46699

My Beast's:
Photbucket Link: http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/ICrazyhorse/Phoenix Bike Works/DSCN4111_zpsd4cb4c24.jpg

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Draco, it looks killer with your upgrades!

I recently picked a few Beast's myself, my question for you is WHERE'S your motor? LOL...

C.H.
P.S. Could you please share a direct link to where you purchased your upgrades, for us confusor illiterates...

Looking forward to your motorizing your Beast!!!

BTW, here's the link to my thread Stretching a Mongoose Beast to fit a Honda pitbike cloned engine in frame:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46699

My Beast's:
Photbucket Link: http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae265/ICrazyhorse/Phoenix Bike Works/DSCN4111_zpsd4cb4c24.jpg
The Handle bars.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7O5YA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crank
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FB2YA6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1