Can I use weedeater oil for my bike??

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I didnt order any 2 stroke oil when I bought my kit... I live in the middle of nowhere and no car.... Can i use weedeater oil in my engine??? I know some guys use non-syntheteic oil for breakin to speed the wearing in.... Then switch to syn for long term use.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Weedeater oil? As long as it is made for 2 stroke, air cooled weedeaters, yes.
Check the label for mixing instructions. We suggest starting with a 24:1 mix then after several tanks move down to a 32:1 ratio. We have no way of knowing what brand of oil or type that you have but most weedwhackers are 2 stroke and the oil used in them will probably be just fine for your 2 stroke engine. There are synthetics that you can run at 50:1 and some, Opti-2 for example, as low as 100:1 but I doubt that is the type of oil you have.

Tom

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Weedeater oil? As long as it is made for 2 stroke, air cooled weedeaters, yes.
Check the label for mixing instructions. We suggest starting with a 24:1 mix then after several tanks move down to a 32:1 ratio. We have no way of knowing what brand of oil or type that you have but most weedwhackers are 2 stroke and the oil used in them will probably be just fine for your 2 stroke engine. There are synthetics that you can run at 50:1 and some, Opti-2 for example, as low as 100:1 but I doubt that is the type of oil you have.

Tom
My Manual says to start with 16:1 ratio, and then after break-in move to 20:1, should I follow that or go with your 24:1 then 32:1?

My local Ace only has two 2-cycle oils...
G-oil
(which I already bought a bottle of)
and this stuff

Should I get some of that Ace Ashless ? It gives you more oz to the dollar than the G oil... If the G-oil is better I'm willing to spend the extra money for that stuff. Or should I use one for break-in and the other for after-break-in?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
No 16 to one is bad. You will even lean out your fuel to air mixture doing that. As extra thick gas will have to make it through the carb jet. 16 to one is archaic out of date directions..

chubaka

Jun 29, 2012
orlando fl
I don't have any experience with those but my ace has stihl. I love stihl more than the Walmart and gas station specials, especially the synthetic.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Hmmm, I'd avoid that green environmental 2 stroke oil garbage.....msds shows canola oil is a component.