Hi from RSA.

GoldenMotor.com

Californiaman

Dec 28, 2011
Durban, South Africa
hi everyone, i Just got my tandem running. put the engine in because of the hills in Durban where i stay. it makes a HUGE difference! i have the 66cc kit and i use a big 48 tooth sprocket in the back since i'm not going for top end speed, and more for pure torque. i have also built a girder front end for the bike, it is heavy but it looks cool! will put up pics of the completed thing once i've taken some. here are some of the pics that i have:

i had to cut the frame to make the motor fit, and i got a much longer chain than the one supplied in the kit:

here is apic of the fork mocked up on the bike, since this pic was taken i have made a spring mechanism for it and it works great! it also solved some handeling issues i had with the origional fork:

i have had the whole family on this bike and i works really well! that is myself, mywife and my little 2 year old daughter on the back in a baby seat. she is a little nervous of the noise but gets better everytime!

i'm hoping to build my own expansion chamber to get some more go out of this motor. i do not have the $$ to buy one so making is really my only option here. hoping someone that has had success with making them is willing to share some dimentions... :)

you can see the progress on the tandem here:

www.triplepowertandem.blogspot.com

cheers!

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. We see a few tandem builds every year on this site. I saw a guy race one at the Spooky Tooth Death Race a few years back.

Doctor Johnson

Dec 29, 2011
Shanghai China
Hi, names David. i'm new to this so here go's...i'm originally from South Africa but now live in Shanghai China.I've been riding an electric chopper with huge Ape bars for 2 years now.I get around 30kph while trying my best not to get hit by a billion or so people...haha.
What i wanted to ask was what the regulations are regarding motorized bicycles in South Africa? I've tried contacting the government,but ah,cough cough,hit a brick wall with that one.I'm heading back to South Africa soon with some mad ideas but skeptical of being stopped by the cops all day long saying "ah like what are the **** are you finkin driving like vat ving so fast...?"....help.

P.S. I'll try upload pics of my bike...shortly..sometime..

Californiaman

Dec 28, 2011
Durban, South Africa
Hi, names David. i'm new to this so here go's...i'm originally from South Africa but now live in Shanghai China.I've been riding an electric chopper with huge Ape bars for 2 years now.I get around 30kph while trying my best not to get hit by a billion or so people...haha.
What i wanted to ask was what the regulations are regarding motorized bicycles in South Africa? I've tried contacting the government,but ah,cough cough,hit a brick wall with that one.I'm heading back to South Africa soon with some mad ideas but skeptical of being stopped by the cops all day long saying "ah like what are the **** are you finkin driving like vat ving so fast...?"....help.

P.S. I'll try upload pics of my bike...shortly..sometime..
hi! i love Shanghai, have been there a couple of times... completely fell in love with China, such a beautiful place!

i have tried and tried to find out about legislation wrt to these kits - nothing. i cannot find any concrete info - so i have taken it to i'll find out when we get there stage. i'm loving this bike (have only had it running for about a week now) but it is TONS of fun and with all the hills in durban is has made cycling possible for me here.

shanghai is so flat must be loads of fun with one of those electric jobs!

looking forward to seeing your pics!

awebuser

Apr 29, 2010
London
Hi I just came back from Shanghai two weeks I loved it. Thanks for posting and your blogspot is great plenty of good pics and detail. You've made alot of progress I like the spraying you've done.