New build, Racer.

GoldenMotor.com

Kali4nication

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Hey everybody,
Just found this website looking for a new motor, and I thought I would post my bike. Please let me know what you think. It's a cheap 68.5cc engine kit bought off ebay, and an old diamondback frame. It has road tires and a speedo. Took her out for the first time with a speedo earlier today. Top speed hit 45mph before the road ended. Muhahahaha. I'm only around 200mi on the motor, so I don't want to beat on it. I would guess 48-52mph is top speed. Stay posted for the results....

Kali4nication

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the forum, and don't take this the wrong way, but ...

Call me unconvinced about your speed estimate (unless you were going downhill). It takes quite a lot more than a stock kit and sprocket to do 45MPH with an HT motor. Still, I'm guessing those are 700c wheels, which would give you a bit more top end than a 26"er.

In the top pictures, I see that the stock air cleaner tubes are pointing up. Those should be down, like in the last picture, to keep road trash out. The other thing I see is that the chain is way too loose. Snug that up before it jumps off and throws you down like a rag doll. You might invest in a fuel filter, because the cheapy plastic one on the inside of the petcock is junk.

Apart from those few things - nice clean build. I've got a build going on a similar bike, with those flat bars - do you get a lot of vibration through those? Mine seem to be pretty harsh.

My speedometer may be off. The directions say it should be exactly 5mm from the sensor. I will test it by riding along side my roommate's car over the weekend. I will also swap the intake as suggested. I flipped it over thinking the air would be cooler and more direct from the top, but I did not take in account the dirt. Also, the chain is very snug imo. Should it be so tight that I would put muscle into it? How would I test the tension? I will also be replacing the spark plug, and adding another fuel filter. What type of store would carry all of these supplies? I was thinking any auto parts store, but idk.

Thanks for the information and prompt response. All feedback is welcome and appreciated.
dance1

Kali4nication

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, WA
I can't think of any other way of getting a accurate reading. A radar gun would be perfect! I'm sure there is a math equation that would tell me based on two points. I know some law enforcement use that method when they can't afford radar guns. They paint 2 white lines on the road, and time how long its takes to cross them(I'm guessing here). I would assume the lines are measured perfectly, and the person has a stop watch.

I will go over the chain and get back with you. I didn't try rolling the bike:/
Also, I cleaned, and returned the air filter facing down. Heading to the store for plug and filter. Will post pics after.

Thanks again.