Carb overflowing/leaking. What other maintenance should I do while I'm at it?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Its always a good idea to turn the fuel off when you're not riding. The float and needle valve 'should' keep fuel from flowing, nevertheless even the smallest piece of crud in the needle valve will keep it from closing completely an allow fuel to flow into the bowl. That, and an improperly adjusted float level will also promote fuel flow when you don't want it.
As for preventative maintenance; keep your tires inflated, chains lubricated, check all critical fasteners regularly (don't over tighten them) Brakes, bearings and frame integrity. Use clean containers for mixing your fuel and install a fuel filter upstream of the carburetor. Use common sense and keep your eye on the things you know are important.
These will go a long way in keeping you on the road and running reliably.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Well I just fixed my carb. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, still cleaned it/bent the float tab a bit.

While I was at it, I remounted my engine (it was on a pretty big lean), adjusted my chain (still need to oil it, any recommendations?), changed the stock head to a slan head I had laying around.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Wow, went pretty awesome. However my clutch seems to be making a small sound, I'm not sure if it's always been there. I took the side off the clutch, and my guess is it's because the big gear seems to be a tiny bit loose. I can't tighten it anymore, but I don't think it should be a problem.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
D'oh, well if you ever move to a smaller sprocket that chain will still be good for something. :) For oiling it, good'ol clean motor oil is your cheapest option. You could spend some bucks on "chain lube" but re-oiling once a month is cheaper, eh. Plus its a good reminder that it's time to inspect everything too, motor mounts, leaks etc.

A little clutch noise is expected, you can apply a small amount of grease to the gear to reduce the 'whine' sound, just don't over do it(for obvious reasons). Also, people have had luck gluing an old mousepad to the outside of the cover.

btw, did your leak stop? As Tom said, you should turn off fuel when not riding anyway... but we humans are forgetful sometimes... :)

gl.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Yeah, my leak stopped. I'm not sure what the problem actually was, there was no rubbish stuck in it. I just soaked it in hot soapy water/rinsed it real good with cold water, then bent the float tabs a tiny but. I also changed the the needle thing to 2nd from the top, it was on 3rd, and there are 5 spots.

Still kinda annoyed about the chain though. I'm using a 38tooth btw, so I don't see then chain being used on my bike. I might find someones bike who can use it though.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool, hey you can get a few more miles out of your pads by scuffing the friction surface with 320+ paper, don't forget to tighten your flower nut a few notches after.

What did your plug tell you before moving the C-clip? Remember, a nice chocolate brown is what you want.

gl.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Cool, hey you can get a few more miles out of your pads by scuffing the friction surface with 320+ paper, don't forget to tighten your flower nut a few notches after.

What did your plug tell you before moving the C-clip? Remember, a nice chocolate brown is what you want.

gl.
It was a bit darker than chocolate brown. However it has a lot better throttle response now anyhow.

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
when breaking chains, it is crucial you don't break it all the way by pushing the pin til it falls out. it will lead to extra work when you're trying to push it back in-- a lot harder than pushing it out. just fyi.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Well I just fixed my carb. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, still cleaned it/bent the float tab a bit.

While I was at it, I remounted my engine (it was on a pretty big lean), adjusted my chain (still need to oil it, any recommendations?), changed the stock head to a slan head I had laying around.
At the gas pump 500 yards from home The carb was POURING GAS onto my foot...turned out the throttle cable broke when i stopped and there was NO WAY to pull it off full throttle.

Turned the petcock off, pedaled home and ordered a new throttle cable (2nd one to brake in the same place right above the lead ball in 3 months)

yodar