Mike's Monark Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi you-all. I found me a bike (well about ten years ago actually). This bike has been hanging on what I call the "wall of shame" waiting for the right time to re-emerge!
The Scene:
My partner at EZ Motorbike (Quenton Gunther) and I were talking, and he thought it would be a good idea if I sold my 1947 H motor (complete, running, much parts collected for it) and upgraded to a J. I had spent a lot of time with a local enthusiast (Rich W.) working on my 1953-53 B-4 Schwinn. Orig paint, Locking Springer, vintage Whizzer spring, all matching bolts, nuts and parts to mount it, had old saddle, stem bars etc.

I sold the Schwinn project, I'm hoping steve will have it at the Whiz-in in a few weeks!

I now lack a buncha stuff, no orig;
Tank, motor mount bolts, air cleaner, and who knows what down stream?

To the yard, thru the weeds and neighbors overgrown trees, and with some help, pull down the Monark!

She was New departure front and rear hubs, butterfly center stand, rack, truss rods, small style freight train headlight, cool 1940's rusty flashlight taillight, Jewels in the coke bottle grips, real half moon bars, reverse bolt stem, backrack, orig paint, chainguard, even tiny carriage bolts on coaster strap and chain guard!

OH JOY!

I am now reasonably expert at finishing a 15 minute job in just less than 2 hours! It can be frustrating to not damage vintage stuff, in disassembly, trying to build a bike.

WHAT YEAR IS MY BIKE? Please help!
Here are a couple of pics of my Monark!
I do have more pics, if that helps,
Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
HI JB, the engine should arrive today, but I have physical Therapy tonite to begin dealing with my new cool Syndrome!

I have belts ordered, and a few new parts to put on it

Mike

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Mike will never have a Vintage Whizzer faster than mine! If you think you do, you will have to come east to my rally to prove it ;)

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Jay, as soon as I can figure out how to ditch my Day Job, and get that far east with a bike or two in tow, I'll take a chance at getting beat in a race! To tell you the truth I wouldn't care if I would win or lose, it would be all about the ride!
I thought you, Chainmaker, and the Lurkers would like to see the engine I scored to put in my old Monark.
I was so happy to get this engine!
Here are a couple of "before" pics.
I am excited to hear it run!

Mike

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi Jay, as soon as I can figure out how to ditch my Day Job, and get that far east with a bike or two in tow, I'll take a chance at getting beat in a race! To tell you the truth I wouldn't care if I would win or lose, it would be all about the ride!
I thought you, Chainmaker, and the Lurkers would like to see the engine I scored to put in my old Monark.
I was so happy to get this engine!
Here are a couple of "before" pics.
I am excited to hear it run!

Mike
Nice ol' engine! I'm not quite sure why Mike, but that pic reminds me of a guitar I built several years ago.......?

The guitar is made of zebra wood......not sure of the wood the whizzer is resting on? Rock on Mike!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello Mike,
Signing on to your build thread to follow this. A good Monark resource for you is fasteddy as he is a Monark guy and has restored one that is gorgeous. Then he built a sidecar for it modeled after a Chris Craft speedboat. Your Whizzer is going to be very cool, sir! Wishing you well...
SB

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Wow where to begin? Worked all day on the Monark, pics to follow. Scotto, yeah I see why you are feeling that way, the table that matches that nice custom guitar, is Oak Veneer on a table in Wisconsin!
I actually bought an Orange and Black Squire single pickup Hardtail with neck changed to Hockey stick w/locking nut that I am gonna hot-rod, I have a p-90 dog-ear, with humbucking coil below, and phase options!
Got new motor, need to take pics, dry-fit it today!
To Chainmaker, those kickstarters were on Sportsman and Ambassadors!
They are out there, as are repop parts, but the crankcases are not re-popped Probably never will be.
I think you-all will be surprised to see what that engine has become!
More later,
Mike

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
OK, even tho my silence does not equal anybody knowing that I'm working on my bike, how about we let a picture be worth a thousand (ok, maybe a couple hundred) words?
First we have the left side of the bike. Hey, where did that Whizzer Drop Stand come from???? Also somebody bolted a drop stand clip on the rear fender? The original Butterfly stand is now too short, but I can supplement with a 2x4 under it I think.
Worksman wheels front and rear? Drum in front? Sheave?
What IS the front end? It doesn't look like the Truss Rod front end in the first pics?
Looks like some strange brackets in the frame also?
More tomorrow, I am bruised and bleeding!
Mike
AKA Rednecktele.
You can see me shoutin the Blues on YouTube if you like!

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Still working hard on the bike, here are a couple of pics I took, engine dry-fit in the frame, right crank has factory offset (dogleg) right crank hits engine crankshaft pulley. I think I show a pic with crank heated and bent, but I must do that again to gain another 3/32 or so as it hit the pipe while dry-fitting it.

Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, well lets see where we are with this thing? I have been working on the bike and have finally identified it as a 1941 Monark Custom Tourist. See the add, the only thing troubling me is they are only offering Red in that ad, and mine was two tone Blue.

To Chainmaker, I have run the Q&&M clutches before, I have one on my little 24" Rat-bike (Raton) and now one on the Monark, additionally the clutch guts are the same as our EZM Q-Matic drive systems. I can say, without prejudice that the Q&M is by far the best clutch for Whizzers that have ever been made! The NE and Vintage models are different in the assembly, but the clutch drive components are the same, PLUS we offer different ratios!

I have by now ridden the bike, more to come on that including my first significant mistake!!!

Engine rebuild??? Well Quenton is a Magician when it comes to these things, how did he get that big ugly bump off of that crispy side cover?

AND get rid of that rusty kick-starter pedal?

Inside the engine......well, rebuilt roller crank, cleaned up bore om J barrel, cleaned up all the stalagmites and stalactites inside the ports.

I opted for the spring type compression release so I could use the controls I had bought earlier.

NE manifold and pipe because I had them. Whizzer drop stand I already had.
BTW Bike runs really nice, More on that later also.

Attachments

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Nothing like a Monark/Whizzer Mike. Same frame as the one i had new in 1945 which also was a leftover pre-war 1941 frame. Dropped the Whizzer in it some years back and still love the look. How come no Monark springer fork instead of that Ambasador fork? There's an old picture of mine in an old thread called here's that Whizzer/Monark.
Geo.