Mounting Brake Cables

GoldenMotor.com

73 Fat Chick

Sep 25, 2010
New Orleans
I just received my Worksman in the mail yesterday and I spent this afternoon getting it all setup. This is my first build and I'm very excited to finally slap an engine on this thing, but I figured it would be best to initially get it setup as a regular pedal bike and tool around on it for a few days just to get the feel of it before I jump into this project.

It's all put together now and it's a real pleasure to ride, but I do have one question that I can't seem to find a clear answer to anywhere on the forum.

How are your brake cables attached to your frame?

I've looked at plenty of pictures of people's rides and I see that a bunch of people seem to cruise without attaching their front cable to anything (just letting it run free, straight from the lever to the front brake) but it's a little more complicated for me because I have rear drum brakes. If I don't attach the rear brake cable to the frame somehow, I will definitely end up wrapping it around a crank arm.

I know that I could use wire ties, but they look inelegant. I'd like to avoid them if at all possible.

Does anyone sell some small piece of hardware for this purpose? Has anyone had any success fabricating something for this?

Any advice is much appreciated.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think you should reconsider wire ties. They look good and are prefect for that application.

If you have more than one cable running along the same path for a ways you could also use spiral wrap.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I do a fair amount of leather work, making moccasins, throttle grips and that sort of thing and always have scraps of black elk hide. I cut little strips of leather and tie things in place with that. Works well, looks nice and doesn't wreck the paint. Zip ties come in many different sizes and work well. The main thing is to tuck those wires away and keep things safe.
SB