cant seem to get engine started

GoldenMotor.com

mjrdad66

Nov 3, 2009
phoenix , arizona
I have a grubee starfire gen II 48 cc enigine kit.... just got it installed, cant seem to get it started for the first time.... checked to make sure I have strong blue spark, had an issue with float sticking, opened carb up and the needle valve and pin to hold the brass spring in place where laying in bottom of bowl, got everything put together like it is supposed to be, still can not get this thing started.... it is driving me nuts.... this is my first actual build, have one that we bought pre built on a mountain bike that runs fine, except for the soft ass mounting bolts the the guy I bought it from used to mount the engine to the frame..( have just about got all changed out with grade 12.9 bolts)...dude was an idiot that mounted that kit.... anyway.... this is really driving me crazy.... bike looks so nice, but can not get it started...any ideas as to what could be the issue

:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You have spark, so try a teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole and see what happens. It should fire and run at least for a few seconds that way.

If it does, there is still a fuel(ing) issue.

When you were checking for spark, was the plug wet?

mjrdad66

Nov 3, 2009
phoenix , arizona
ok, so I just took the carb off, cleaned it real good with carb cleaner then blew it out real good, double checked to make sure everything was all back in its proper place, left the breather off to see if I could get it started by squirting a little of the fuel/oil mixture right into the carb with the throttle in the wide open position, then tried to start it again....still nothing..... this thing is making me sling wrenches now...and I am sure that my mormon neighbors ears are bleeding too ....lol.... as soon as the wife gets home with her running bike...I am going to take the carb off of it and put it on this one to see if that gets it started....then I will know for sure if its the carb , or something else...cant be too much of anything else.... have a good strong, bright blue spark at the electrode end of the spark plug when I pull it out and spin the engine over while holding it to the block.... cant really be much else except the carb..... if anyone else has any other suggestions....I am all ears at this point

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Ride it down a hill or around the block at full throttle turning the engine.

Pull out the spark plug and see if it is wet.
If you go that far and it aint wet your not getting fuel in the cylinder.

Either

A) Carb " But your gonna try the other one"

B) A major Air leak somewhere in the Head Gasket / Jug Gasket / Case Gasket / Or seals at the Main Shaft.

My Grubee Died one day wile i was riding it.
Couldn't get it to start back up.
Rode and rode but the plug didn't get wet.

I thought the carb was plugged.

But i Actually blew a gasket. LOL

Changed the Head and Jug Gasket and all was good again.
It started right up.

So i think a bad leak in the bottom end won't allow the fuel up the transfers cause the pressures aren't right.

Anyway i would check the gaskets as a last resort.

One time the seal behind the magneto was out of my engine and stuck to the back of the magnet.

Didn't run very good.

Hope this helps.

mjrdad66

Nov 3, 2009
phoenix , arizona
got it running....had trash in the venturie inside of the carb from when they left fuel in it after doing the initial factory run test....that **** about drove me crazy.... I know combustion theory pretty well, ...thanks again for everyones help