Paralyzed dog rear wheels motor assist?

GoldenMotor.com

hotgrips

Oct 17, 2016
New Hampshire (NH)
My black lab uses Eddie's Wheels for supporting her hind legs, and motivates with her front. But her front "elbows" are having problems, and I want to work on motorizing the rear 12" diameter wheels to help her.

Speed range desired would be 1-5 mph
If one revolution of the wheel is 38" of movement on the ground, can any of you recommend a friction drive motor that may be appropriate?

I have a home fabrication shop with bench lathe, milling machine, weldes.

This dog has been dealing well with this handicap for three years now. Tried a DIY underwater treadmill but she never did get her hind legs moving again after the spinal injury.

She seems realtively happy, having adapted to her new life on wheels. Photos attached. We tried a three wheeler which might encourage her to use her hind legs to get a doggie treat, but no good.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Maybe leather elbow pads would help. I've heard of cordless drill friction drives for very low gearing. Different diameter drive wheels in the chuck and trigger position equals varied speeds. Could be activated with a sensitive switch triggered by one of her regular movements when she wants to travel and stop. I don't think it would take long to learn what makes it move or not. Hate to see a naturally active pet/friend/family member immobilized when we have all these great tools and fab skills available.

hotgrips

Oct 17, 2016
New Hampshire (NH)
I got a reply privately from the owner of "Eddie's Wheels" who was opposed to motorizing their rear wheels for a paralyzed dog.

Their logic was that Eddie's wheels were designed to be a walking aid, and that power assist would allow the dog to weaken the legs that could function.

Actually my desire to motorize the dog's rear wheels is motivated by my wife's desire to go hiking with the dog. And as things are now, they cannot walk together for more than 200 feet before the poor dog is exhausted.

The idea of using a geared down electric power drill (12-20 volt DC) with it's chuck is a good one- thanks for making that suggestion.

drn2

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
She's a lucky girl to have a devoted dad trying to help her.
I'm with the docs, the motor would push her around but might weaken her stamina, and might even run her out into traffic or off a ledge or something.
I did have one idea that may be of some use.
Take her little wheely cart and add a set of light aluminum folding struts with wheels toward the front. When she gets tired out, they could be deployed and she would be riding home in style, pulled by her owner.

You're a good guy, doing all this for her.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I guess she would need some sort of front foot rest. Maybe an under-the-chest support strap. Or a cool footrest/bumper.
;)