Gas Cap Leaks

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
On my 2 stroke engine kit, the tank vibrates real bad somtime when I get in the higher RPM's and my gas cap starts vibrating REAL bad..like it starts shaking and everything and gas starts coming out of the top..not sure if its the spring thats not strong enough or what..just wondering what I can do..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've used a rubber 'O' ring under the rubber gasket in the cap. Always worked for me.
Most hardware stores should be able to help you. If possible look for an 'O' ring that is gasoline compatible. It'll last a lot longer.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
had a few that wouldn't stop leaking - soldered shut the vent hole inside & drilled one thru top - that usually works, but can still sweat out a little when tank is full

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I've used a rubber 'O' ring under the rubber gasket in the cap. Always worked for me.
Most hardware stores should be able to help you. If possible look for an 'O' ring that is gasoline compatible. It'll last a lot longer.

Tom
Thats a good idea..do you happen to know the diameter? If not I can find it out..thanks anyways though!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just noticed that some caps have a gasket with rectangular cross section, while the ones we use have a triangular cross section (I rarely look inside cap on repair bikes)

seems to make a difference