Frame building advice

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Be sure your welding is sound and has good penetration. Be sure to measure everything five times before cutting. Be sure everything is straight and true and always take welding distortion into account as you go.
A jig is always a good idea if you plan on doing more than one. There are several plans available to build your own. Google ''adjustable frame jigs''
Use good material strong enough for it's intended job. No conduit or water pipe.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
2.5" conduit coupler (actually closer to 3") from home depot. I needed something big enough to accommodate a coaxial shaft arrangement.

Reactions: Jaroe

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
Any suggestions for cutting the a arm off a hardtail and incorporating a shock behind the seat post so as to leave room for motor but creat a soft tail for trail riding?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Soft tail needs to have a jack shaft were the pedal sprocket is to work right so the chain stays from a floppen. May still need a spring tensioner besides..........Curt

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
Soft tail needs to have a jack shaft were the pedal sprocket is to work right so the chain stays from a floppen. May still need a spring tensioner besides..........Curt
Im in the works of putting together a beast... its gonna be kind of a cross between a down hill mtb and a hill climb dirt bike... probly going to use a 60 tooth rear sprocket in attempt to maximize torque... just going to suck to have to sacrifice the speed...

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
60t sounds excessive, my bike with a reed valve pulls good wheellie's with a 44t on a 26" wheel.
I'm working on a full suspension bike without jack shaft by lifting the swing arm pivot to be inline of the sprockets.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
Nowsee thats exactly what i had in mind! But with the 44 on the bike ive got now (26") has no balls for climbing hills on the trail... i figured i would sacrifice a little bit of speed in exchange for the steep hillclimb capabilities... on a side note... a buddy just turned me on to a 125 honda 4stroke kit with full shift trany and kick start for like $200-$250... ought to get 85mph+ from that bastard :-D have any of you guys thought about throwin kits together and seeing how they go on craigslist? Im thinkin of ways to fund my newfound hobby :-D and i figure the practice in putting these together cant hurt lol