steel tubing for frame?

GoldenMotor.com

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
unless u plan on using variable thickness steel. perhaps local lengths of tubing would be more than enough. 1/16 1/8 etc thicknesses is what you need.
dont worry about grade of steel. if it truely looks great when ur done the mild steel w be cheap and ride great possibly.

3lbs light frames are not stiff so why you need good steel if u makin a beauty 6-7 lbs frame for 40 bucks or less. the triangles will be fine.

there lots available off the shelf like universal droppouts etc. but 69.99 handbuilt raw cruiser frames are available allready. maybe this helps. whats the plan?

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I'm the first one to think of creative uses for materials they are not intended for and have done so many times in my recent board track racer build, but NOT for the frame.

Look for 4130 steel tubing. You may find it locally but there many on-line vendors.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
This is my choice for frame building: DOM Tube: 1" O.D. x .083" wall

You should be able to purchase at your local metal supply house at a fair price for 10 feet.

I really see no need for 4130 on a bike frame. Now if you want something special then use the 4130, you could then use .065 for a lighter frame.