Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm aware of that. I was opining on the minimum engine a TAV would work with. I actually have a HF79 and was thinking about selling it.

Anyway, I found a 4G if you're still interested: http://heliobikes.com/store/Parts/4-Stroke-Parts/4G-T-Belt-Parts/4G-T-Belt-Drive-Honda--p189.html
Yeah I saw that too. You can't order anything from their site because it's jacked up with some FedEx error. I also read bad things about Helio and people ordering from them and not getting there stuff or getting it way late.

Why can't I find any horror stories about the TAV2 and the Huasheng anywhere online? That's what I want to know.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Probably because the TAV is designed for gokart engines and the HS is too weak to be considered as such.
That said, I've had a shift-kitted HS with 4G for nearly 2 years and I love it. It can be finicky tho.

It's not too late to come up with a horror story yourself :p

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Interesting about the rpm limit. I remember agk and scotto playing with the springs in the 'verters to get it to engage at different rpm's. Even using spacers to keep it from going into "super-overdrive" to get the rpms higher.

I found this one thread on the subject http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39609 , but there's gotta be others to be found with the search.

Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of test driving and taking notes :)

gl.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Interesting about the rpm limit. I remember agk and scotto playing with the springs in the 'verters to get it to engage at different rpm's. Even using spacers to keep it from going into "super-overdrive" to get the rpms higher.

I found this one thread on the subject http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39609 , but there's gotta be others to be found with the search.

gl.
You are correct. You can get it to engage at different RPM's by changing the springs. It even says so in the Comet specs. It's all about "jackshaft reduction" from the URL that you sent me.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

gl.

It's crazy that no one has yet invented a viable CVT alternative to the sky high EZM Q-Matic for 49cc users with the exception of the Grubee 4G that you can't get anywhere. :-||

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
It's crazy that no one has yet invented a viable CVT alternative to the sky high EZM Q-Matic for 49cc users with the exception of the Grubee 4G that you can't get anywhere. :-||

Here's one on Ebay for 49cc engines. Cheap too. It also has a 5-1 reversing gearbox, so you would have to mount the engine with the starter on the left. Maybe use a j-shaft to get the chain to the left side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-X1-X2-...3966&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Here's one on Ebay for 49cc engines. Cheap too. It also has a 5-1 reversing gearbox, so you would have to mount the engine with the starter on the left. Maybe use a j-shaft to get the chain to the left side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cc-X1-X2-...3966&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
LOL I was just looking at that thing an hour ago on eBay. You read my mind.
The question I have is, will it mount to the Huasheng or am I gonna have to mod it to get it to fit? Do I also need to get a CC?

Would if I just got a Cheetah Centrifugal Go Kart Racing Clutch and just go with that by itself?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I backed myself into a corner cause the drive. chain has to be on the right side because I installed a hydraulic disk on the left side of the back wheel. :-||
Well, that pocketbike cvt might work then. to install it with it's reversing gearbox, the sprocket will be on the right side. I assumed your wheel sprocket was on the left and that you would have to use a j shaft to get it over there.

You would still have to deal with the exhaust exiting to the rear.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Well, that pocketbike cvt might work then. to install it with it's reversing gearbox, the sprocket will be on the right side. I assumed your wheel sprocket was on the left and that you would have to use a j shaft to get it over there.

You would still have to deal with the exhaust exiting to the rear.
I'm gonna go with the Noram Cheetah Racing C Clutch with a sleeve first and see how that goes. There's no worries about slip with that thing.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I would bet money that a 99cc Predator would fit in that Felt......Pred not sold in California unless attached to a waterpump though.

dnut
Holy Jesus you're right! That's insane. So as long as you're pumping water then it's ok in Cali to use and own that engine? LOL
I'm sure it would fit, all stripped down. I originally tried to cram a 200cc GX200 racing clone and it almost did fit but it was a few inches off and I had no workable mount for it. That's my next engine. Thanks for that info! dance1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I would bet money that a 99cc Predator would fit in that Felt......Pred not sold in California unless attached to a waterpump though.

dnut
I just looked at the owners manual and it has a threaded crankshaft and a governor that would need to come out. I guess you could get a normal crankshaft for it somewhere. I just looked at the manual for the 99cc Predator and the crankshafts look identical. Good enough for me. LOL

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL I was just looking at that thing an hour ago on eBay. You read my mind.
The question I have is, will it mount to the Huasheng or am I gonna have to mod it to get it to fit? Do I also need to get a CC?

Would if I just got a Cheetah Centrifugal Go Kart Racing Clutch and just go with that by itself?
Yeah your not going to be able to use this on the HS with the straight shaft. But it will bolt right on to the HS that has the built in clutch

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Looking great so far... I like those big tires on that bike, Felt should have done that from the factory. I'll keep my eyes on this thread... (^)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Looking great so far... I like those big tires on that bike, Felt should have done that from the factory. I'll keep my eyes on this thread... (^)
I agree totally, then I wouldn't have had to do it on my own. The wheels are Felt 24" and those fat azz tires are Electra Fatti-O's 24x3. They tires also keep me more insulated from L.A.'s potholes.