New motor from Dax ..........

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Just installed my DAX GT 50R motor on my friction drive bicycle with a 1 1/2 inch roller.

All I can say is Holy Mother of God......my bike is now a small motorcycle-it can *easily* keep up with traffic.

I gotta be careful, bicycles aren't meant to go 35 to 40 mph.

When they say this motor will run circles around most motors...they ain't kidding!

This thing PULLS and pulls *hard* to whole way up to 35mph.

I know That's DAX has an ad on the site.....I gotta say, they have a customer for life, they have great customer service and most importantly to me- they have great communication....every email I've sent them with a question has been answered in less then 24 hours.

I am a very happy boy :).wee.

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
That might be just what I've been looking for. Being in New York State, a place very unfriendly to MB's I am looking at stealth being a very high priority in whatever build configuration I finally settle on. If you read up on the N.Y. traffic laws you will find that MB's are to be shot on sight so discretion is advised.

The broadside silhouette of the typical bicycle is rather sparse and very wide open. No place to hide anything. Once the frame is cradling an engine in the usual manner it sticks out like a sore thumb, easily spotted from a mile away.

I think this DAX, the way it is rear mounted may be just the ticket. Being a friction drive it also lacks all the other extra stuff associated with a frame mounted engine. No extra sprockets & chains, etc. Dummy saddle bags would serve well to cloak a rear mounted friction drive methinks. With the proper rack, a little ingenuity and my wife's sewing machine skills I think I could produce a pretty regal set of "saddle bag" shrouds to cloak the truth.

That leaves the noise to be dealt with. Obviously the lowest possible exhaust note attainable is what I'm shooting for. That means a muffler on steroids and can certainly be done, some trial and error for sure but we're not talking about quieting a 500 hp V8. I think I can get one of these bike engines to be amazingly quiet with some experimentation.

The only thing left that I can think of is the smoke. Let's face it, these two strokes can smoke like a hippie at a Greatful Dead show and that's a dead giveaway. Four stroke rear mounted friction drive may be where I'm headed.

I was impressed with this YouTube video, this little DAX GT50r has got some real snort!~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QJM4qcNSjE

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Stinky

That dax engine, if it is the cag engine lays horizontal pretty flat. But the gas tank is on top. If it had a diaphram carb the tank could be on the bottom of eng.

A wire basket on each side could be lined with a material letting air thru. The 100:1 oil will not smoke. I have the cag engines, one on a friction drive. One has the 52cc kit in it, made a big difference. Mine are not dax engines. I did buy 2 50cc 4 strokes from dax and they were fine.

I thought about hiding the motor like you, but they don`t even look at us here.

Ron

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
100:1 ??? Wow, that wouldn't be a problem at all. Sh!t, a two stroke that runs on a fuel/oil mix that sparse probably doesn't even smoke when it's new during its break in period.

Fla. is NICE, I've got family in Madiera Beach, Tampa, Largo, St. Pete and up in Jax.

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
The cag engines can be made very strong. If done right they have good all around power.I know of a guy that will build a 3rd stage motor for $95. They can be made quiet but the pipe is a little hard to conceal. I have a little pocket bike that does 34mph. With only backyard mods. Just like anything else chinese. They just need some tinkering

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I will post up a pic of my new set up the next time I get it out of the garage.....I have my motor fairly well camouflaged.

I run a rectangular rack mount style tank mounted on top of the friction drive U-channel unit and a rack bag on top of that. I have most of the motor painted in flat black hi-temp paint.

At first glance, the motor isn't very noticeable. As for the sound?.....well, if you are hard on the throttle- it is loud as Hades. At a steady 25 mph cruise on flat ground-it's fairly quiet.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Just took a few pics......I can't say enough good things about this motor. I did spray all the shiny bits with flat black high temp paint to make it blend in as much as possible.