Extreme Newbie Seeking Some Clarification

GoldenMotor.com

GoldBandit

Feb 14, 2011
United States of America
I am extremely new to motorbikes -- about 2 days -- and I've been trying to do as much research as possible, mostly here at this forum.

I am interested in building a motorbike, but I don't have any experience doing anything like this and I feel a bit overwhelmed and maybe like I don't have a good grasp of what I'm getting into.

I am basically interested in motorizing a Felt bicycle after doing some research about that. Most kits seem to be Chinese and there seem to be some quality issues or longevity issues. Morini engines from Italy are much better, but they don't come in kits and I would have to procure and figure out everything else on my own. Do I understand this aspect correctly?

I also don't think I understand how shifters work, either for regular bikes or motorbikes. I've only ridden single speed bikes I suppose. Are you manually shifting the gears up and down when you motorize or that depends on the set up? The NuVinci is a CVT for bikes? Like the one that Nissan makes for cars? Or is the Shifter kit something different the the NuVinci hooks on the wheel?

I read through a lot of different threads but a lot of it seems written from points of view that contain experience with the subject talking to others who have experience on the subject, so I'm very sorry if I shouldn't be posting this. I know how forums are when you ask something that may have been posted, you didn't search and you've only just joined.

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Hi neewbie I'm fairly new myself but have vast experience in building regular bicycles and have built 4 going on 5 for motorized and depending on where you live I've been looking to help people in my area build bikes. So where are ou from? Also I haven't had too many problems with a chinese motor, though it comes and it goes as with all motors as you will find in the threads here. Yeah Morini's are much better but come at a cost most of us can't afford, plus what's building a bicycle that costs thousands. I'm personally opposed to it. But any help you want feel free to ask.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
Let me see if I can briefly but accurately answer your questions and I'm sure you'll get several other responses.

1. Mounting a Morini to any bike will require some fabrication skills on your part. The components from a standard Chinese, sans the engine, will get you close but you'll still need to do some design work.

2. Shifting gears is not a necessity of a motorized bike. There are different ways to look at it. There are kits available that will allow you to use the bicycle pedal gears in conjunction with the motor however we don't recommend this to a first time builder or to someone with lean machanical skills until you become better accquainted with the mechanics of a motorized bike. A single speed cruiser will easily accomodate a motor. There is no requirement for a bike with gears (multiple speeds). The fact is that most of us do not use the gears we have. Once the motor is running, and for the most part, the pedals become just somewhere to put your feet.
The majority of the bikes built here use a standard clutch; something like the old in & out box that you would associate with early drag race cars. You pedal to get the bike up to a descent speed, something like five to ten mph, then let out on the clutch lever which engages the engine to the rear wheel. From there you just ride controlling your speed with a twist grip throttle like a motorcycle.
I hope this helps with some of your questions. There is a good rule to follow: For your first build try to keep things simple. Forgo the aftermarket performance parts and modifications that you might read about until you have a firm grasp on the basics. This will assure you are dealing with the least amount of potential mechanical problems. There'll be plenty of time later for go-fast additions and nicities like shift kits.
Tom

GoldBandit

Feb 14, 2011
United States of America
I built one... check out my user profile under the my albums section for the pics.

here is a link... is that what you are looking to build?
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=115

if I can answer any speific questions I would be happy to.
That is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. Just like the Ridley bikes except not $2700 bucks.

Do you have the gas tank in the actual frame?

GoldBandit

Feb 14, 2011
United States of America
Welcome to the forum.
Let me see if I can briefly but accurately answer your questions and I'm sure you'll get several other responses.

1. Mounting a Morini to any bike will require some fabrication skills on your part. The components from a standard Chinese, sans the engine, will get you close but you'll still need to do some design work.

2. Shifting gears is not a necessity of a motorized bike. There are different ways to look at it. There are kits available that will allow you to use the bicycle pedal gears in conjunction with the motor however we don't recommend this to a first time builder or to someone with lean machanical skills until you become better accquainted with the mechanics of a motorized bike. A single speed cruiser will easily accomodate a motor. There is no requirement for a bike with gears (multiple speeds). The fact is that most of us do not use the gears we have. Once the motor is running, and for the most part, the pedals become just somewhere to put your feet.
The majority of the bikes built here use a standard clutch; something like the old in & out box that you would associate with early drag race cars. You pedal to get the bike up to a descent speed, something like five to ten mph, then let out on the clutch lever which engages the engine to the rear wheel. From there you just ride controlling your speed with a twist grip throttle like a motorcycle.
I hope this helps with some of your questions. There is a good rule to follow: For your first build try to keep things simple. Forgo the aftermarket performance parts and modifications that you might read about until you have a firm grasp on the basics. This will assure you are dealing with the least amount of potential mechanical problems. There'll be plenty of time later for go-fast additions and nicities like shift kits.
Tom
Thank you, this was a very informative post for me. Sounds like I don't need to worry about a shifter kit.

The shifter kits are only applicable on a bike that already has more than one speed. But theoretically, or in application I suppose, you can motorize a bike that has gears (3, 5, 7 speeds.. the derailleur is the bicycle's gearbox, right? do I have that term understood properly) with a shifter kit and that will give you a bike that literally shifts like I'm thinking a manual gearbox on a car works as you go up or down in speed?

And If I just put a motor to a single speed bike, that's essentially still giving me the ability to pedal when the throttle isn't engaged and use it like a regular bike or give it some gas to just ride along if I choose?

Last edited:

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
That is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. Just like the Ridley bikes except not $2700 bucks.

Do you have the gas tank in the actual frame?
nope, the tank was behind the seat. I didn't want to ruin the paint trying to do the things necessary to seal the tank properly.

im not sure if you thought it was a Ridley bike.... but it wasn't. they are way overpriced and don't come with a jackshaft or nuvinci hub.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of caution. Don't expect the bike to pedal as it would without the engine kit installed. There is some resistance from the rotating mass of the gears and clutch parts, chain, sprockets and tensioner that you'll feel. Simply disengaging the clutch with the handlebar lever will not make the bike pedal freely. Be prepared for that. The only way to have free pedal movement would be to remove the engine drive chain. This isn't that hard if you use a master link in the chain but it can be a dirty, messy task.
You are correct in your assumptions regarding the use of gears. Most of us find a low gear ratio that makes it easy to pedal up to engine starting speed and leave the bike in that gear. I typically keep mine in the second gear (2) of a seven speed casset. I never change it.
You are also correct in your understanding of the shifter kits. They transfer power from the engine to the pedal chain whereby the gears (varying sprocket sizes) are in play.
Tom

Last edited: