Another newbie first build.

GoldenMotor.com

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Ok! Today is start to install the engine kit, took me longer that I thought, about 8 hrs. First the coaster brake arm dilema, then the engine front mount, (I welded a piece of steel in the frame and $1 suspention bushing with a bolt and nut eh voila!). The chain too close to the tire and the fender, :-|| and few other common problems. But after all, I start the engine and ride the bike a little.

At the moment what really worries me is a strange sound in the engine, sound nice then if move the bike one inch foward or back (holding the cutch all the time) do a sound like some metal touching something, but if move another inch farther then sounds quiet and nice again. There's one way to fix this strange sound tomorrow this is: the search buttom, a big cup of coffee and a lot of reading here.

The engine is a Daemon bought on ebay. Almost all the parts are spay painted metallic black and metallic antique red, used to be a very rusty bike, one pedal still rusty cause I forgot to painted.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Pretty, but you used a drive side chain tensioner... Why?
The kit throws it in if you don't know how to break chain. You weld motor mounts hehehe, loose it ;-}

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
I ride it for a while without the tensioner and ride good, but sometimes I heard the chain rubbing the fender, so I decide to try the tensioner to see some improve.

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Reading other threads I belive the weird noise my engine is doing comes from the clutch cover. Is a very strange sound cause sounds in specific points if I move the bike a little this sounds disapears.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
all of my bikes make that "katink katink katink..." noise if i hold the clutch in and pedal. it's just the sound of the piston rotating.

if it's making a "kaKLANK kaKLANK kaKLANK..." noise, then it might be something more serious, like your piston hitting the head.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
all of my bikes make that "katink katink katink..." noise if i hold the clutch in and pedal. it's just the sound of the piston rotating.
Umm.. if the clutch is in the piston and any motor gears for that matter should NOT be moving...
Are you saying your piston bounces around loose in the cylinder from the simple rocking motion of the bike moving by pedaling?

Naw, 'clinks, clanks and clunks' are little pieces of other moving parts hitting while the bike moves.
Not hard to find with the motor off and a friend.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The piston actually would be moving in the engine because it is idling, the engine isn't killed every time you pull in the clutch o_O? That looks like a really nice build! Name her, take good care of her, be safe, and most importantly HAVE FUN!

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Thanks guys for all your comments. This morning a woke up early to play with my new toy. The weird noise comes from the outer clutch plate. I remove the gear case cover with the engine idling and holding the clutch hand lever, I put my hand in the outer clutch plate and the noise gets way better. I adjust the flower nut till was enough, the noise get a little better but still doing the noise. (I'm already getting used to).

So, this morning I went to get few groceries in the MB, is not runing to well yet, is weak going up hill, and takes a bit long to reach top speed. I believe is an air leak on the carb or the gas/oil mixture, I did about 20:1. I'll put an O ring in between the carb and the intake and change the mix 32:1.

Few small bolts came loose after the first ride, which I already take care with locktite. Vibrations are not too bad, (I guess since I never ride an MB before)I feel some at high speed, but nothing hard.

I notice the rear sproket is like 1/8 out of center, when the chain gets more tension between the sproket and the engine, is when the outer clutch plate sounds sounds. I'll be working on that today and see what happens.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Lot's of little bugs to work out on these motors. Sounds like you're on the right track. There's probably a thread on this forum for every problem anyone could have.

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Lot's of little bugs to work out on these motors. Sounds like you're on the right track. There's probably a thread on this forum for every problem anyone could have.
Yeap! Norman has a complete carburator thread, so I went with black silicone intead of the o ring, as he suggest. Hope to have so fun today with the MB, the weather is great, about 80º and a bit cloudy.

I still thinking of a name for this one.

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
After fixing some minor problems I rode about 10 miles. Few other little problems happend in the way but nothing big. The top speed is getting better, now I'm using mix 32:1. I adjust more the flower nut in the clutch plate but still doing noise.

While riding I saw these guys,

I stop by, we drank few beers and chit chat about the MB's, but I was a little anxious cause I was 5 miles far from my house and didn't knew if the bike can do the way back home without major problems. But now I trust this bike a little more. .xx. dance1

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Cool!, great to be in a community with other MB's. Did you move the carb needle two notches from the top? this changes performance a lot:) Have fun!

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Cool!, great to be in a community with other MB's. Did you move the carb needle two notches from the top? this changes performance a lot:) Have fun!
Actually no, didn't knew about it. Thanks for the advice. Hope this is causing the trouble, cause is not reaching top speed at all.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah, I played around with the carb quite a bit, and that is the sweet spot for me, I also adjusted the idle to make it idle fast so it is ready for a quick start up. Good luck with the adjustment! You'll get better power as long as you do things patiently! This hobby is ALL about patience

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Yeah, I played around with the carb quite a bit, and that is the sweet spot for me, I also adjusted the idle to make it idle fast so it is ready for a quick start up. Good luck with the adjustment! You'll get better power as long as you do things patiently! This hobby is ALL about patience
I was reading a thread this afternoon about the carb, I think was Norman who wrote it, but I can't find it now.

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Thanks LS614, my needle were three notches from the top, I move it and really feel the diffrence.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm glad to hear it :) Another thing that makes a big difference is putting in a good ngk spark plug if you didn't already. Also replacing the plug wire and boot makes a difference. Enjoy riding :D

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
The clutch still doing noises, with the engine idle and holding the brake lever, I remove the outer plate clutch, the noise continues. The weird thing is if I half turn the front sproket the noise totally disapears, and the engine sounds nice and clean, if I go further another half turn then it sounds again. Same thing while runing with the clutch engage, same sound with same sequence.

The big gear is very loose too. I believe needs some kind of adjustment.