Paint Tech Tips

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
So paint scheme is to be Damascus Steel and this is the idea. I will take the parts to be painted down to bare metal then I will put dots of epoxy in a specific design all over parts in question, Then I will do a three shade version of black, chrome, and grey. These will be laid down a few layers per color, then I will sand it all flat, hopefully exposing the three different layers in a Damascus Pattern. How does this sound, any flaws in my thoery. Any good painters with tips?
BTW, this is Damascus in case you don't know, this is called a raindrop pattern and is the style I hope to pull off.

Attachments

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Very cool! please do elaborate a little, do you do drops between layers or before hand? Any details of how to pull it off would be sick. My only thing is I would like as much control over the dot placement for the most uniform effect, on the other hand I might like it as nonuniform, and random as possible. I don't know, any votes?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Sorry I couldn't wait for pics so I did some research....WoW that is a friggin sweet effect!!! I wonder how well it will work with the different color layers... Hmm, this does have me rethinking what the paint scheme might be. I am thinkin with the fishnet trick and this water tech, would yeild a very nice Burmese Python glistening with water drops............Hmmm O geez so many choices....Maybe I can't decide....... maybe I will gather some materials and do an example of each then post pics and you all can tell me what cha think is best.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Ok, so I have done some experimenting with the water trick, Decided to do my girls chopper "The Bubble Gum Bandit" with it. Here is the fender, funny how the Camera doesn't see it as well as the human eye but it is a very pretty effect, the mini canvas helps the camera see the effect a little better.

Attachments