Chain Alignment On Wider Axles

GoldenMotor.com

chicagoschwinn5

Sep 14, 2009
illinois
I have a atom hub and have just about completed the modifications to get rolling. A buddy says that because the rear axle is wider. the front sprocket on the motor and the rear sprocket do not line up and he feels this could be hazardous at high speeds. How far off can the rear sprocket be and not throw the chain.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the chain still clears the inside of the frame, it will work!!
Just build it! The sprockets don't have to be perfectly in line with each other. (trust me!)

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Maybe you could set the engine off-center or twisted in the frame so they line up better. It sounds like the front would have to be more to the right or the back mount more to the left. That would align the sprockets at a better angle.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You cant move the engine over but you can use a spacer and move the rear sprocket over so the chain lines up with engine and rear sprocket. plus you can use the chain tensioner to help line up the chain.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
The problem was that his rear axle was TOO WIDE. Where would you put the spacers?????
I shifted the whole engine over about 3/16" so that the chain would clear the tire. That's how I did it maybe I did the impossible.