Kick Start

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Do not use the pullstart to kick start or it will break, it even breaks just pull starting it.
You could make a kickstart where the pullstart goes but not using the very cheap pullstart parts.

you could also hook up a electric motor to where the pullstart hooks to and have elctric start ,buit once the engine strated it would still turn the elctric motor so u would have to have a clutch or a way to disengage the elctric motor after it started.

heres a note,the pullstart rope is like 2 feet long so i dont think you can have it exit out the bottom.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yea I hear you. I buy the pull starts 3 at a time(for parts). Plastic pawl, pull rope bushing and rope don't hold up.

I was thinking perhaps a freewheel adapter but guess it wouldn't take the RPM

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I got the pull start about 4 months ago. Put it on a groovy 66 starfire and actually started the bike twice since then with it. Looks cool, but bike has to be extremely warmed up, so I don't even think about it. Seems to me there's to much compression and I would need about 2 more feet of nylon added to pull rope to actually start it! haha Heavy duty center kick stand allows you to get on bike and start it by pedaling like a maniac

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Bought Two Ht Pull Starters, Have Not Used Yet, But The Way They Bolt Onto Crank Shaft Looks Mickey Mouse To Me. The Heavy Duty Rear Stand Appeals Better To Me. Imho. Ron Ps -anybody Remember Which Thread This Jack Shaft Mount Was In?? WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A FEW OF THESE IN MY PLANNING PILE!! .cvlt1

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I started working on a jackshaft design myself.
Unfortunatly iv'e been soo buisy doing everything else and keeping my bike running i never finished it.
Such a shame.
We should get all the engineers / machinist / mechanically inclined people together.... As a team we could do a project like that easily.

Unfortunatly i never got much help.
Then come to think of it i did that one on the OTHER SIDE.
They don't seem to like that kinda stuff there too much.

If you guys are interested I did alot of the work allready.
But some help and teamwork would be nice.

Google ("DIY Jackshaft / Freewheel / Shift Kit")

Could get this one back on track overe here.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Yep that's the one.
I bet it would be easy
to incorporate several things into it.

I put alot of hours into that project.

Maybe i'll try to condense it down and start a thread here.

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
I was attempting to solve this problem by installing a chainsaw compression release valve on the head. I got as far as making a model head to be cast in aluminum and then machining the sparkplug and valve release holes. But could not find a metal forge here in Noco to cast it for me. After this last stretch of cold weather here (-9 to 10%) I may have to reconsider this project.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Mdlee, Had The Same Thought Myself. My Big Husky Saws, The Older Ones With Out The Compression Release, Would Hurt You Some Times (especially The 288 Cc Models). Maybe Have A Welder Build Up An Area For Drilling And Tapping. Ron .cvlt1

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I have a friend who is a kart builder.
Talking super high HP.

He says there motors have a compression release.

I'ma gonna pick his brain for 4 stroke power mods.
They have done it all.

But i think it is feasable to do alot with a jackshaft kit.
Might take a wile but we'll get there soon enough.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I use a tiny front gear to kick start mine. This also make it very easy to pedal. pick the back of the seat up and choke on and push down hard and vroom. but the key is that tiny front gear and sometimes a larger rear gear. On regular direct chain drive anyway. I know this probably doesn't work with your shift kits some of you have.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
i'll tell ya sometimes my bike wants to put me over the handelbars when it's cold.
But i got that high compression slant.

Never had any trouble starting the grubee.
But this baby is a whole new story.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I use a heavy center kick stand and I can kick start my 48cc easily, especially when it's already warmed up. I was showing the bike off to some guys at work and they asked to hear it run, so I just rocked the bike forward on the center stand gave a quick kick on one pedal and she fired right up. I have to start with the clutch engaged and then release it right at the end of the "kick", sometimes it's hard to time it right. But it sure does seem to impress people when I do that.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
That kick start feature is built in on the frames I sell, and you don't have to rock the bike forward.
It will just drive the wheel in place at idle because its' 1/2" off the ground.
You can even wow your friends by changing gears standing still with the thumb trigger shifter.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Pull start WARNING: Be sure to pull the clutch lever in, Lost a new pull start when I forgot to pull it in.