Concern about Legality in California

GoldenMotor.com

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hi I have a question, So I live in CA and I want to get a MB. I read up on the laws and it says I have to get the bike registered, which includes getting a license plate, and to pass the tests to get an M2 permit. In order to get the permit, do I have to complete a Motorcycle safety course? (I read that somewhere and it seems kinda stupid just for a motorbike). Also when you get the bike registered, do you have to take it to the DMV so they can check it out and see if you meet the specs? (for ex. tail lights, size of the motor). I don't see how they could really tell the size of the motor just by looking at it, considering alot of 80cc engine kits are made to look just like 49cc..

Thanks

xct2

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
If you are under 21 you have to take the Motorcycle safety course.

Don't waste your time getting a M2, get an M1 as it's the same tests.
Take the written test which will give you a temp license good for a year. You aren't supposed to ride after dark on a temp or carry passengers. ;)

You mail in the form with $20 to get the plate.
The DMV does not check your bike.

CA mb law says nothing about 50cc or 49cc or any number of cc's.
The law says 4 HP and under now since jan 2015.
A 66cc - aka 80 makes about 2.5 HP

Here is the new 4 HP license plate application form:
The mailing address is on the form.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...4063-a819-a5dfc8ff5691/reg230.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Think? :)

Motorcycle License Check List

To obtain a motorcycle license if you are under age 18 you must:

Be 16 years of age.

Have had your permit for six months.

Provide proof of driver education/driver training completion.

Provide a completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course.

To obtain a motorcycle license if you are 18 or older you must:

Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44). To obtain this form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133.

Pay the application fee.

Pass a vision examination.

Study for and pass the written test.

Give a thumb print.

Have your picture taken

If you do not have a California driver license, you will also need to:

Present an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.

Provide your social security number.

Provide your true full name.

If you are under 21, you must provide a completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course.

If you are over 21, you may complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I would hope I can. I'm fine with paying the fees and passing the written exam but an extra $200 just to take the safety course is too rich for my blood (at the moment, anyways lol)

dance1

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Yess! dude thx so much I would b so bummed if I had to take that driving course right away. Im 20 right now so by the time my permit is gonna expire ill b 21, so I don't even need to take the course :) I'm gonna order myself an engine kit today!

Btw thanks to both of you guys for answering my questions! Hope to see ya on the streets r.ly.

dance1 .wee.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
hmm, that's strange. It says people over 18 have to complete the Motorcycle Safety Course to get the permit... but the people who are under 18 don't have to? I don't understand that logic at all. Ima call the DMV today and set this straight cause this is confusing as **** but thx again guys

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
OR, just go on the silent sly, and pick up yourself an electric hub motor, the Fuzz wont even know what zipped past them ;)

Of course if $200 is too rich for your blood , electric may be out of your reach.
have you oggled the sonders ebike? :)

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
I live in Sacramento and I rode my motorbike for three years almost everyday to work and school. I was 18-19 at the time and did not have a class M. I have been stopped by the cops once but I just talked to them about the upgrades and the work on the motor I had done. They thought it was neat and never asked if I had a class M.

If you stay in the bike lane, wear a helmet, and use lights at night you won't have any trouble from the police. They don't seem to know the CARB laws, or at least the ones near me do not.

But I did just take a Motorcycle Training Course (RideWell MTR) and I recommend it regardless. After taking you'll want a real motorcycle though!

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
It may surprise you to know that most leo, including parks service and rangers are trained more about emissions control laws than you would imagine. Now what they do with tht knowledge once they're on patrol is up to the individual. I'm gussing many, at least the older set are starting to feel the same as the rest of us about the governments over regulation in general and knowing there are bigger fish out there to fry are prolly not concered with picking specks out of fly sh#t. If you ride respectfully, obey traffic laws and above all show the officer the same respect when you get pulled over and questioned you'll probably be just fine.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
OR, just go on the silent sly, and pick up yourself an electric hub motor, the Fuzz wont even know what zipped past them ;)

Of course if $200 is too rich for your blood , electric may be out of your reach.
have you oggled the sonders ebike? :)
I was actually considered getting a electric just for that reason, but it's a little too expensive right now and honestly, I love motors. I love hearing the sound of the engine, and the feeling of hitting that powerband! I have a go-ped with a tuned pipe also and that thing is a rocket .wee.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I live in Sacramento and I rode my motorbike for three years almost everyday to work and school. I was 18-19 at the time and did not have a class M. I have been stopped by the cops once but I just talked to them about the upgrades and the work on the motor I had done. They thought it was neat and never asked if I had a class M.

If you stay in the bike lane, wear a helmet, and use lights at night you won't have any trouble from the police. They don't seem to know the CARB laws, or at least the ones near me do not.

But I did just take a Motorcycle Training Course (RideWell MTR) and I recommend it regardless. After taking you'll want a real motorcycle though!
I hope the fuzz wouldn't notice me. I live in Folsom which is about 20 miles outside of Sac, TONs of cops patrolling cause they have nothing better to do here but I've never been stopped on my Go-ped and that thing goes crazy fast. I just hope they won't notice my engine on my bike, Its a black engine on a black frame so it kinda blends in I guess. I will get my permit eventually but right now I'm just gonna lay low and ride around neighborhoods I know there are no cops around, I still have to break it in anyways brnot

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I was actually considered getting a electric just for that reason, but it's a little too expensive right now and honestly, I love motors. I love hearing the sound of the engine, and the feeling of hitting that powerband! I have a go-ped with a tuned pipe also and that thing is a rocket .wee.
any time I lock eyes with someone at a light I make loud motor noises.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
XD

Since you ride electric, maybe you can invest in one of these babys. ever put cards in your spokes?

http://www.amazon.com/Turbospoke-TBSP-Bicycle-Exhaust-System/dp/B002WJ2Q5E

brnot
I also ride electric now to lay low and fly completely under the radar! Think I'll get one of those Turbospokes and mount it under the rear fender where the muffler was supposed to go. Just have to figure out how to wire it up to a switch on the handle bar so I can use it like a horn when I run up behind someone on the trail. dnut