what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It sounds like you are on the right track, if its not too bad a high flow air filter will help some if you dont already have one.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I've done nuffing at all for the past week or so as I'm back with having joint and muscle pain again. Even though I'm fatigued I don't seem to be having any problems with the clarity of my thinking this time around so I'm still able to plan and plot over what I'm going to do next on my projects.

It's a wee bit annoying that my Wu Yang/Solex bike is still sitting about looking absolutely lovely, - only it still isn't running yet! :(
Hopefully in the next few days when I'm feeling better I'll be able to finish off the final details and actually get the engine to run.

Oh the shame of it, - I had to borrow my daughter's car to do the week's grocery shopping before Christmas. Normally I would have done it by bike like I always do, only I wasn't physically up to it. Being a skinny vegetarian does mean that my weekly grocery shopping is nothing like what Americans might consider a week's groceries to look like and the load is certainly lighter, but I knew that if I did set off on my bike I would end up having to phone my daughter to come and rescue me. So it was just simpler to borrow her car in the first place. I hate cars, especially modern ones :(

Attachments

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
I put bmx type handlebars on harry.

I wasn't a fan of the cruiser bars, I felt like I was steering with a till and rudder. With the smaller bars centered over the steering head axis I have much better control and feedback from the front end. I plan on keeping the riding posture upright on this build, sort of the old UJM style (universal Japanese motorcycle), think late 70s honda cb or Kawasaki kz type riding position. I think this is most functional for the roads I use it on. I definitely need a better seat than the stocker.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that spark plug seems to have a bad compression ring, or maybe the threads are bad in the head - oil spatter on chain guard could be either carb or muffler

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I was wondering about the oil under the spark plug. I do have a hard time not cross threading it when I put it in. I guess the threads are damaged.

Good excuse to buy an upgrade... lol any suggestions?

Also could the leak at the plugs cause the 4 stroking?
The fuel is definitely coming from the carb. And I already check the float, it floats.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the plug leak could cause several things that will rob you of power - it needs fixing, so do so & see

head comes off easily for sleeving or helicoiling if you don't have easy access to another head

fixing this might even reduce the spit-back from the carb

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I ordered a crankcase oil breather assembly to see if my 5 years ago refurbished Briggs 4 stroke 3hp engine has less smoke out the muffler. Its not much, but I expect it could be better. There has been very little run time on the engine till now. It had the valves and seats cut and length of the valve compensated. The rings also replaced, so it has good compression and starts right up no problem.

I know the older cast iron engines have parts that are not in a crimped metal case. With those you can see the spring inside and replace it with another new one I'd bet. Those type there is no return tube to the air-filter / carburetor. They just vent the oil mist down the side of the engine.

This 70's era 80202-0430 aluminum Briggs engine, you have to replace the whole breather. I have a couple of extra air-filters that I will install if I see that the one in there now got mucked up from the worn breather spring not working properly and the return tube sprayed a lot of oil mist on the filter.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
the plug leak could cause several things that will rob you of power - it needs fixing, so do so & see

head comes off easily for sleeving or helicoiling if you don't have easy access to another head

fixing this might even reduce the spit-back from the carb
You could bring it to a machine shop to install the Helicoil if it seems to be economical and you don't want to buy the special sized drill bit and Helicoil insertion tool and coil insert. I can say once those are installed I have never had a problem ever with cross threading again.

There are other non-spring type inserts, but my thought on those is there not worth using as they are as soft as the white metal they cast the head with.

MT

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just a little secret before paint casing if you have a dremel ? hone out the bolt hole so that the bolts don't pull the paint off the edges.

Everything looks great! keep up the good work I'll have to fallow this thread

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, and I put a dead spark plug with the top broken off in the head too - guards the hole & makes a handle

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I haven't even seen my bike in a week or so, been super busy at the shop. I did however visit a good friend and old motocross riding buddy. The man gab evolved to motorcycles and well long story short he gave me a brand new set of Renthal bars off his 450. They are the stock bars and he doesnt use them. He's sponsored by some companies and gets bars when needed.

I'm also getting the new exhaust off his kids 65cc just as soon as the fmf pipe arrives. Good timing I guess lol.

Here are the bars, I also have the throttle that I left in my truck by accident. That's a big chain guard that I'll try and fit somewhere as something.

Dan.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I did some 'tweaking' on my home made "Frankenstein" exhaust. It's not quite finished yet, but it's looking a whole lot better than it did. I'm still undecided about the expansion chamber that's on the bike now ---- it looks great, but I think that I like the sound of the one I made. Who knows? I might sell the expansion chamber and apply the fundage to my upcoming shift kit.............:D

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Usually , it's when the motor stops workin, i use the pedals and bike gears to get home, but today, my bike pedal freewheel sprockets came apart, and i used the motor to get me home!!! serious winter also, lots of snow and - 21 C . Now it is what i will be doing tonight- throw on a new chain and freewheel sprockets..good thing that i have 4 brand new spare freewheels and a couple o new chains. Gotta be runnin by tomorrow night cause it's new years and i gota go see the fire works.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
ahhhhhh dang it !!!!

all this time i have been running a brigs and straton air filter retro fittted to my cns v3 carb,and it was running like a angry ape with slight four stroking across the board..... i just got my preformance 90 deg filter from SBP and hooked it up and my bike sat for the weekend...... well took it to work today and i cant take her over 20mph ~! if i try and give it more than 1/2 throttle she bogs out as if there is no fuel, if i try and go up a hill it bogs out like she looses power, if i try to ease the throttle up it helps a little but then sputters and bogs out untill i let off the throttleback down to 1/4 or below a half throttle !

its like i lost all my power and the bike is way way to lean ! the tone of the exhaust changed also ! it used to have a deeper more dirtbike-ish sound and now its a sharper pingyer sound ????

there is no waay the new air filter could allow that mutch more air in that i am running this lean could it ? it was slightly ritch before now its way way to lean.

i am thinking i got an air leak on my intake gasket that is presant when i give it the gas and the suction becomes to great it leaks. or mabey when changing the filter i moved the carb and its the infamouse cns clamp on iar leak ?

mabey the main jet got clogged coincidentaly at the same time i swapped the filter ? it feels like a clogged main jet ... like as soon as i pass half throttle someone shuts off the gas !

i checked fuel flow from the tank and it runs through the petcock just fine and runs through the filter just fine and runs out the end of the hose that goes to the carb just fine, actualy it flows realy well ! so i know it getting the fuel, i even hooked it up and undid the float drain screw wile hooked up and watched it drain out the bowl drain hose, it drainned out just as fast as it did from the tank so there is no obstruction at the float valve needle.

what do you think, does the SBP 90 deg filter flow that good that i need to rejet 3 sizes bigger ? or is something else going wrong here like a clogged main jet ?