Gutting the muffler and headlight, tail lights..

GoldenMotor.com

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Theres this kid that I met today after getting off work.
He also owns a MB and says that he gutted the muffler completly and hence that gives him more speed and torque. my question is, is that healthy for our China girls?
I mean if you think about it, that would be pretty much like an expansion chamber without the end...so it seemed plausible.

Finally, What about plugging a headlight onto the white wire of the engine?? I feel that is extra work for the magneto, but I do ALOT of riding at night and so its something I've been thinking about. And is it possible to also hook up a tail light as well?? I was thinking of plugging in the headlight and rigging a switch to it, that way it would only be on when I need it on, same with the tail light.

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this forum's full of threads on all those subjects, just do some searching...

on the exhaust, if you gut the muffler, it's gonna sound like a nitro burning leaf blower, and will ostracize you from your neighbors, and it'll make it real easy for the cops to find you.

a lot of people will tell you these motors need back pressure to run well, so gutting it's not a good idea, which is true in theory, but it doesn't really seem to matter too much, going by the amount of people here that have done it.

i gutted mine, but added a Supertrapp universal, clamp on muffler. it's louder than stock, but not obnoxious, and added a boost, much like an expansion chamber.

in the end, it's up to you and how annoying you want your bike to sound,

as for the wires, there's a lot of info on that around, but i never tried it so i dunno.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
the white wire will run both tail and head lights. However not when cold and you can tell when it takes from the spark of the motor! so I just run tail light from the white wire and rechargeable nite rider mini-minewt head lights. the tail light works good with the motor, either thru switch or direct. I have done both. seems to work good. use a 6volt 3 watt bulb for best results.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It seems that everyone has different opinions or power enhancing experiences from removing the baffle out of the muffler.
The best outcome I could see from doing it is a teeny bit more power and a whole lot more loud noise.
These bikes are having a hard enough time getting legal or staying legal in many states.
Do you believe that having a really loud one running around your neighborhood will make your neighbors approve of them and be supportive of making/ keeping them legal? Or do you believe that they would see them as a loud, obnoxious, dangerous toy that should be banned from the streets?

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Thanks for all the information and advice. I really appreciate it. The kid runs his bike by my work place once in a while and it rlly doesn't sound much louder. Imma figure something out. Ill problable gut it and ad some extra muffler tubing and place a universal muffler on the end. Ill see how it goes. Thanks again.

And as for the headlight I'm just gonna run the headlight with the engine and a switch so it wnt b on when I dnt need it.

And as for my neighbors, they ALL love the bike. They think its great and looks like fun. Haven't had a
Single complaint from any of em.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Bairdco, where did you find the muffler at? I'm thinking of just gettin a muffler from a briggs and stratton at my local ace or menards...which ever one has it for cheap.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
It seems that everyone has different opinions or power enhancing experiences from removing the baffle out of the muffler.
The best outcome I could see from doing it is a teeny bit more power and a whole lot more loud noise.
These bikes are having a hard enough time getting legal or staying legal in many states.
Do you believe that having a really loud one running around your neighborhood will make your neighbors approve of them and be supportive of making/ keeping them legal? Or do you believe that they would see them as a loud, obnoxious, dangerous toy that should be banned from the streets?
Removing it + removing the air filter allowed me to race a 48cc against a 66cc bike uphill (lost, but only by about 2 bike lengths on ~1/4 mile hill). The 48 was a year old (and badly maintained by the previous owner) and the 66 only had about 500 or so miles.

Though most 2-strokes seem to need a sufficient amount of back pressure, these don't seem to want it. That stupid loud black exhaust with the missing internals I've got seems to wake up whatever motor I put it on.

What would be a really nice thing to see would be a spring-loaded cap (with attached guts) hooked up to a steel cable and shift lever on the bars. Would be well worth the effort. Cruise the neighborhoods quiet-like but power down mainstreet and those middle-of-nowhere back roads.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Haha! Are you familiar with lakes pipes?
They are basically an exhaust with dual outlets. One goes to a muffler, for daily driving, and the other is just a straight pipe outlet. They use a plate that bolts over the straight outlet (dump) to block it off.

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I tried soldering a few different types of flashlight bulbs on the end just to see what it worked best with, but none of them would come on for some reason. Re-checked them with a couple double-A's and they hadn't blown, so I don't know. The voltmeter on the white wire seemed right.

Norm has some for I believe the front and rear, and eBay's got 'em for the front (though the eBay ones look kinda cheezy).

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
the white wire will run both tail and head lights. However not when cold and you can tell when it takes from the spark of the motor! so I just run tail light from the white wire and rechargeable nite rider mini-minewt head lights. the tail light works good with the motor, either thru switch or direct. I have done both. seems to work good. use a 6volt 3 watt bulb for best results.
Hi there
I bought a 52 led front headlight and 5 led rear light
Front use's 3 aa batterys
Rear use's 2 aa batterys
SO can i run these off the white wire with no batterys???
Your front light has rechargeable batterys.. Are the front lights also connected to white wire??
Does the battery not go flat????

Just a thought you say when lights are on you can tell when it takes the spark from motor??
Putting more power into the engine give it more power????
Meaning connecting batterys onto white wire not useing any lights???

Please whats your thoughts on this?????

Or anyone els feel free to comment.bf.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Hi there
I bought a 52 led front headlight and 5 led rear light
Front use's 3 aa batterys
Rear use's 2 aa batterys
SO can i run these off the white wire with no batterys???
Your front light has rechargeable batterys.. Are the front lights also connected to white wire??
Does the battery not go flat????

Just a thought you say when lights are on you can tell when it takes the spark from motor??
Putting more power into the engine give it more power????
Meaning connecting batterys onto white wire not useing any lights???

Please whats your thoughts on this?????

Or anyone els feel free to comment.bf.
Both AA and AAA batteries run at 1.5 volts (the AA's just last longer). Your front light system requires 3 AA which is 4.5 volts (1.5 x 3), and your rear system requires 3 volts (1.5 x 2). So that's 7.5 volts all together, which theoretically would run while at higher RPMs.

However, with the bike LED lights it gets a little more complicated than all that. My guess is they have a range of settings, maybe bright, dim, flashing, etc? To run the circuity right a DC circuit with a more "stable" flow of electricity is required. What you've got going on is an AC circuit that variates in voltage whenever the RPMs change.

On ebay, I swear I've seen an actual battery charger that runs off the white wire for these motors that can simultaneously use the batteries to power whatever you want. Don't know how many batteries went it in (probably 4), but I think that's what you should be shooting for. Price was like $30 or $40 I think.

BTW: 52 LEDs? Where'd you get that?

Oh, and no you can't just stick batteries on your hot wire to make the spark better. I don't think the power would be right and you have to keep in mind the spark comes on at a certain time for each RPM and comes on for only a split second. Batteries wouldn't do anything, and the reverse flow coming from the motor would probably destroy the battery.

If you want to get more of a spark from your motor, you could try to fool around with some bigger moped ignition coils (replacing the plastic black box mounted on your bike). Not sure what, if any, performance you'd gain though.

Here's one I was thinking about getting:

http://www.treatland.tv/universal-moped-external-ignition-coil-p/moped-external-coil-red.htm
Or
http://www.treatland.tv/moped-coil-p/external-coil-wire-n-boot.htm

Last edited:

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Both AA and AAA batteries run at 1.5 volts (the AA's just last longer). Your front light system requires 3 AA which is 4.5 volts (1.5 x 3), and your rear system requires 3 volts (1.5 x 2). So that's 7.5 volts all together, which theoretically would run while at higher RPMs.

However, with the bike LED lights it gets a little more complicated than all that. My guess is they have a range of settings, maybe bright, dim, flashing, etc? To run the circuity right a DC circuit with a more "stable" flow of electricity is required. What you've got going on is an AC circuit that variates in voltage whenever the RPMs change.

On ebay, I swear I've seen an actual battery charger that runs off the white wire for these motors that can simultaneously use the batteries to power whatever you want. Don't know how many batteries went it in (probably 4), but I think that's what you should be shooting for. Price was like $30 or $40 I think.

Oh, and no you can't just stick batteries on your hot wire to make the spark better. I don't think the power would be right and you have to keep in mind the spark comes on at a certain time for each RPM and comes on for only a split second. Batteries wouldn't do anything, and the reverse flow coming from the motor would probably destroy the battery.

If you want to get more of a spark from your motor, you could try to fool around with some bigger moped ignition coils (replacing the plastic black box mounted on your bike). Not sure what, if any, performance you'd gain though.

universal moped external ignition coil
Or
moped black external ignition coil with wire + boot
Thanks for your input
These led lights i bought from ebay Austraila but there being shipped from hong kong.$9 dilivered
I don't know how good they are yet as i havn't received them yet...I bought them a week ago
My mistake they are 56 leds....
Type in 56 LED +5 REAR TAIL BICYCLE FLASHLIGHT

how do you post a link from ebay for next time???????

Could i installed rechargeable batterys and also connect it to the white wire???
Would this work so my batterys don't go flatzpt?????

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I'm a little to busy doing something right now, but I noticed your reply (I get it in my e-mail) and I think I found it. Will study on the descriptions when I've got the time.

Has something to do with either this:

6V MINI-CHARGER FOR Motorized Bicycle Light LS-1 & LS-2 - eBay (item 400109384706 end time Jul-13-10 10:15:02 PDT)

Or this:

Special Magneto Coil Charger For Motorized Bicycles. - eBay (item 400109389682 end time Jul-13-10 10:42:43 PDT)

Or both. But that's what I was talking about. Anyone ever tried it here?

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Haha! Are you familiar with lakes pipes?
They are basically an exhaust with dual outlets. One goes to a muffler, for daily driving, and the other is just a straight pipe outlet. They use a plate that bolts over the straight outlet (dump) to block it off.
Way back When, JC Whitney used to sell a "butterfly" that shunted the exhaust away from the muffler run and straight out the side. It used a like a choke cable to actuate it. They're illegal now.

[email protected]

Nov 26, 2009
AR.
I got a dynamo lighting set on my bike,It's chrome - old school - has generater that runs off of tire,have to be moveing to get power-12 v-6 wat. output on gen.

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney

universal moped external ignition coil
Or
moped black external ignition coil with wire + boot
I received my lights from hong kong today
For the money i payed..$9 delivered to my door (sydney) :)
But just a quick note when i put the batterys in the headlight light wouldn't turn on
So i opened up the lense area The little swicth comes out of its little casing..Just needs a little dab of super glue to keep it in place......
But over all i'm very happy Headlight is bright....But sounds odd but i mainly bought these light for day time riding...As it has a setting of 56 led flashing..Which is good to catch the eyes of car driverscvlt1