Proposed Matchless Tribute.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Getting back to working on my bicycles again is wonderful and as a result I'm feeling a lot more well in myself. I guess it's a bit odd to start working at around 6.00pm when the daylight Summer temperature and humidity has cooled and then continue through to around 2.00 or 3.00pm before going to bed, but it works for me.

A short while ago I saw some vintage pre-AMC Matchless decals in a recent post on the forum and I made the comment that I should do a tribute build. I owned a 1954 Matchless some years ago, but I always liked the round tank Matchless motorcycles from around 1910-1914 or so. Owning a real one would be the stuff of dreams only as they cost serious money even when in distressed condition.
But then I discovered that someone in the surrounding rural area is selling an old as yet unidentified English bicycle frame that could make a great basis for a tribute build. (I treat cities as if they are dangerous zones full of folk with an infectious form of madness so I now only bid on rural auctions for bicycles that have to be collected).

Then I discovered that Matchless did make a Villiers engined bike during the vintage period and having discovered that I didn't really need any further encouragement. The pictures are of the later flat tank model, but otherwise it's all good.
For a long while now I've had a late 1920s-early 1930s Villiers engine with a separate 3speed Albion gearbox and this would do very nicely for a tribute build. It's single port rather than a twin port and it doesn't have a separate magneto, but the more familiar Villiers brass flywheel magneto instead, so it will be more about capturing the spirit of the bike than being any attempt at a true replica. As it happens I do have a twin port fixed head cylinder barrel, but I don't think it will fit the later single port crankcase.

While I've been busy with cleaning up my workshop I've come to the conclusion that the best way to make sure all my nice old vintage parts and bits don't get lost or damaged is to actually build bikes that will make use of them.
Oh and by the way all my Villiers engines are now tagged to planned builds so none of them are for sale.
Because they are my Precious ............ oh um.... sorry i don't know what came over me for a moment there :oops:

Once the Rudge is completed I'll start on the Matchless and work on the Wall Autowheel replica in between. Though my daughter has asked me if I would properly assemble and service a full suspension mountain bike that she's just purchased, - so that should make a wee bit of a change. She's talking about putting an electric motor on it too which should prove interesting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Would you believe I got beaten to that frame just when I thought I'd got so close I could smell the ancient chicken pooh anointing it. An interest in old bikes has suddenly awakened here in New Zealand and more folk are looking for old bikes to restore. The auction price went way beyond what I could afford so I had to let it go.

BUT, I am not defeated............

(Do you know how difficult it is to find a picture of a woman warrior who is actually wearing clothes!)

So rather than looking for a prewar frame I've decided that I will construct the frame using two 1960's Raleigh frames as a basis. I have plenty of these and a bonus will be that I should be able to end up with frame with the shape and proportions I need.

This is a 4 stroke sidevalve model, BUT what is particularly interesting is that it has a belt driven Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in the back wheel.

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Wheelwoman

You are killing me here. Villiers engines just laying about, the town dump full of bike parts...

And when exactly do you sleep? Seems like you have more projects in the works than most.

Sorry to hear that you missed the frame - what did it go for?

Brad

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hi Brad, I got very lucky a while ago with the Villiers engines. I purchased four from a guy who was having his own workshop clearout. The twin port cylinder barrel was a spot of pure luck on our own local auction website here in New Zealand and the Albion gearbox and Mk VIII c engine I got from a motorcycle enthusiast who was again having his own garage clearout. Back then nobody seemed to be interested in Villiers engines, but now about five years later the price for them has shot up and they are hard to find.

Bike parts seem to have their particular season at the council tip. For a while there will be nothing and then suddenly there will be plenty to chose from. I live in a rural dairy farming area which seems to make a difference to the kind of steel scrap and other interesting goodies that get thrown away. I do have a good eye for what is treasure and what is not and I am also somewhat of a hoarder of useful mechanical bits which sometimes isn't always a good thing because I have to find places to put it all.

Ah sleep, - yes I do sleep, but having just come out of a long bad patch with this illness I live with I seem to be making up for lost time. When I was ill I would build things in Lego to keep my hands and mind active. Now that I'm a lot more well I can finally get back to my bicycles and making things again. I like to have more than one project on the go because when I'm held up with waiting on parts or whatever for one bike I can do something on one of the others.

That frame went for $NZ51.00, it might not sound much, but with factoring in the cost of petrol in going to collect it I had to flag it away. Petrol here is over $NZ2.00 a litre and with the distance involved the sums added up to being more than my slender budget could stand.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Getting back to working on my bicycles again is wonderful and as a result I'm feeling a lot more well in myself. I guess it's a bit odd to start working at around 6.00pm when the daylight Summer temperature and humidity has cooled and then continue through to around 2.00 or 3.00pm before going to bed, but it works for me.

A short while ago I saw some vintage pre-AMC Matchless decals in a recent post on the forum and I made the comment that I should do a tribute build. I owned a 1954 Matchless some years ago, but I always liked the round tank Matchless motorcycles from around 1910-1914 or so. Owning a real one would be the stuff of dreams only as they cost serious money even when in distressed condition.
But then I discovered that someone in the surrounding rural area is selling an old as yet unidentified English bicycle frame that could make a great basis for a tribute build. (I treat cities as if they are dangerous zones full of folk with an infectious form of madness so I now only bid on rural auctions for bicycles that have to be collected).

Then I discovered that Matchless did make a Villiers engined bike during the vintage period and having discovered that I didn't really need any further encouragement. The pictures are of the later flat tank model, but otherwise it's all good.
For a long while now I've had a late 1920s-early 1930s Villiers engine with a separate 3speed Albion gearbox and this would do very nicely for a tribute build. It's single port rather than a twin port and it doesn't have a separate magneto, but the more familiar Villiers brass flywheel magneto instead, so it will be more about capturing the spirit of the bike than being any attempt at a true replica. As it happens I do have a twin port fixed head cylinder barrel, but I don't think it will fit the later single port crankcase.

While I've been busy with cleaning up my workshop I've come to the conclusion that the best way to make sure all my nice old vintage parts and bits don't get lost or damaged is to actually build bikes that will make use of them.
Oh and by the way all my Villiers engines are now tagged to planned builds so none of them are for sale.
Because they are my Precious ............ oh um.... sorry i don't know what came over me for a moment there :oops:

Once the Rudge is completed I'll start on the Matchless and work on the Wall Autowheel replica in between. Though my daughter has asked me if I would properly assemble and service a full suspension mountain bike that she's just purchased, - so that should make a wee bit of a change. She's talking about putting an electric motor on it too which should prove interesting.
IW thats an engine i could use !!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I finally had some luck in my hunt for old, but good technology. A farm shed cleanout J.A.P. model 4/b sidevalve industrial engine is now mine for the princely sum of $NZ10.00. Next week I'll head out and collect it if my daughter will let me borrow her car.
The engine is stuck and won't turn over, but I'm not too worried as these old J.A.P. engines are very well made and most probably all it will need is a little marinating in WD40 to loosen off the piston. From memory this is a 250cc engine, but I could be wrong.
It will be nice to work on a side valve engine again :D

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Aw come on...

What's next? A Velocette Venom behind some junk in a neighbor's barn? Maybe an Ariel Red Hunter in the tip?

Seriously though, that little J. A. P. is a nice find. I have plenty of side valve Briggs stuff here, so I am not so jealous.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
No the days of Ariel Red Hunters in the tip are long gone. It was possible to find them in the 1970's when nobody wanted them, but now even a distressed one is worth $$$$$$.
Back when my children were small I did find a frame complete with Webb forks and mudguards for one of the little prewar two stroke Velocettes in the tip, but that was the last time I found anything truly classic tossed out for rubbish.

I did try to find a nice old Briggs engine, but the prices were silly. For some reason nobody seems all that keen on the J.A.P. industrial engines which is daft because they are very well made. My thumbnail plan for the J.A.P. is to set it up as a direct drive belt driver in the 1914 British mode which should make for a nice bike for riding further afield. And yes I'll call it a Matchless as well coz I like them.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I always thought the early Matchless bikes were beautiful.

My uncle had a Brough when I was a child, a very nice machine.

Interesting that the Briggs stuff is scarce down there. Pillaging the scrap bins has been a long time hobby for me. I have a few in the engine library.

Here is some inspiration for you

Brad

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thankyou for the great pictures Brad :)

The Matchless spring fork design looks to be the kind of thing that could readily be replicated in the home workshop.

All I can say about that Rudge is, 'Wow!' making a tribute version of a bike like that would be an amazing challenge.

I love motor tricycles and the one in the photo is a real honey. The Matchless is nice too :)

Ever since I first saw a picture of one I've always wondered just how Singer managed to get the engine inside their motorwheel. I'm still none the wiser.

So your uncle owned a Brough? I've never actually seen one except for photos and pictures in books, but I do agree completely, they are a superb motorcycle.

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Yes,my uncle had a Brough. Sold it when I was about 8. Dad always gave him a hard time about his "limey bike"

I grew up around vintage motorcycles. My first motorcycle was a 1925 JD model Harley. My dad had a bunch of coarse friends, so there were always Harleys around.

Interesting thing about that bike you called a Singer. It is an 1899 Perks & Birch. They actually sold that design to Singer a few years later.

The trike is an Ariel. Here is another pic:

Similar to the DeDion designs of the same period. it took them a few decades to evolve to the Square Four.

Here is what camping looked like with my dad's pals...

I will have to scan some other pics.

Brad

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
By the power of Threadcromancy arise!!!

Very good now that I've woken up my old thread I thought it was time for an update. Sometime ago I sent off to the Vintage Club folks in the UK for a set of Alldays-Matchless decals.........

........ these were intended for my tribute bike, only getting ill intruded and put the brakes on my ambitions. Now that I'm going to be converting my old sidecar rickshaw into a sociable the thought came to me that there is no reason why I can't dress the bicycle half of the sidecar rickshaw up to look like an Alldays-Matchless; - it's the 1903 model I've particularly got my eye on :)

I've always liked the look of the motor bicycles of this era, but the high seating position and the fact that I wear long skirts pretty much made them a no-go. BUT with the sociable format with me piloting the bike from the sidecar it's no longer a problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to dig out my rickshaw and run a ruler around it. If you're very good I might even have some photographs to show you........

Attachments