Do not ride a motorized bike without a license!

GoldenMotor.com

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
Today it was decided by and impartial jury in the Pinellas county courthouse that Motorized bikes ARE Motor vehicles! DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE! or you will pay in some way or form!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Today it was decided by and impartial jury in the Pinellas county courthouse that Motorized bikes ARE Motor vehicles! DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE! or you will pay in some way or form!
It's different state to state, here in IL we have a law on the books specifically for motor assisted bicycles that says basically you must be 16yo to ride, you must not exceed 20mph, and you can not ride on the sidewalk, other than that the normal bicycle laws apply. Under this law you do not need a drivers license, you just need be 16 years old....

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

impartial jury??? Sounds like you got burned on a ticket
and a jury decides nothing but guilt or innocence they don't determine
state or county laws, so give us details, were you riding foolishly?

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
I`am sure there will be some motorized bicycles that go down hard over this! it is ultimately up to each and every one you and your business if choose to ride without a license! that is until the right person or persons can get the law changed? there should be no more questions as to legality of these!

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
And that's why I told him, he needs to file an appeal...
An appeal, will bring it to a higher court, that will decide the ultimate legality.
Higher courts don't decide by jury, but by a (state) judge, who DOES decide.

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
An appeal, will bring it to a higher court, that will decide the ultimate legality.
In Florida You do not get and appeal if your charge does not carry a jail sentence if found guilty!

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I think you are missing the point, laws are created by legislators!!!
judges and juries just enforce the laws, THEY HAVE NO HAND IN MAKING THEM
ROFLMAO

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
In Florida You do not get and appeal if your charge does not carry a jail sentence if found guilty!
That was the issue yesterday when the prosecutor wanted to NOT seek jail time to avoid having a jury decide the case! If he had done this during pre trial conference the judge would have decided the case! but today was to late so we had a jury anyway!

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
That was the issue yesterday when the prosecutor wanted to NOT seek jail time to avoid having a jury decide the case! If he had done this during pre trial conference the judge would have decided the case! but today was to late so we had a jury anyway!
So give some details, what were you arrested for? what, were you just
riding around minding your own business and they just swooped in and arrested
you?

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Actually, If an issue goes to a higher court and is decided by a judge, it DOES become the law...
Legislatures create the laws and judges interpret them..
THAT'S the point.. Judges DO create laws, in a sense.. They determine the actual interpretation of them and THEN it gets put on the books.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
It has to be decided WHAT law was broken..
Until we find out the specifics of the OPs statutory breaking of the law (what he was found guilty of), we can go from there.
Btw.. He was riding on the road.. Crossed the street and"coasted" onto the sidewalk... Which is when the officer pulled him over...
I think he was accused of riding a motor vehicle on a sidewalk..
(He never told us if his engine was running at the time he was pulled over.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Actually, If an issue goes to a higher court and is decided by a judge, it DOES become the law...
Legislatures create the laws and judges interpret them..
THAT'S the point.. Judges DO create laws, in a sense.. They determine the actual interpretation of them and THEN it gets put on the books.
Actually NO a bill is written up it goes before the senate and house
and gets voted on, if it passes then it's a law and all the judge can do is
interpret what is in the confines of that law, depending on how the laws is
written a judge can have some latitude or zero latitude.

"It has to be decided WHAT law was broken..
Until we find out the specifics of the OPs statutory breaking of the law (what he was found guilty of), we can go from there.
Btw.. He was riding on the road.. Crossed the street and"coasted" onto the sidewalk... Which is when the officer pulled him over...
I think he was accused of riding a motor vehicle on a sidewalk..
(He never told us if his engine was running at the time he was pulled over."

Now I understand more, even in arizona it is against the law to ride these
on the sidewalk,
let me ask a question does your state laws say you must ride a bike, motorized or not with the flow of traffic, of course they do! Nationwide it is accepted that bikes should follow the same rules of the road as cars do.
regardless of your knowledge or lack thereof

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
In Fl. on the sidewalk, there is no mandatory direction of travel. Although it is STRONGLY suggested that you ride with the flow of traffic.
In the bicycle lane (on the roadway) you must travel with the flow of traffic.. Although most cops won't stop anyone on a regular bicycle going the wrong way.
You are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk under power on any type of vehicle other that an EMPAD (a Segway or electric wheelchair).. This does NOT include, electric bicycles or any other kind of conveyance able to be propelled by human power.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I hate to break it to you but maybe you should read up on the subject

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles

Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
Meaning you need to stop at a stop, signal when turning, travel in the proper direction on the roadway etc, etc...

It doesn't, however, mean you need a drivers license to ride one...

It's kind of ironic this topic came forward, cause I was in Cocoa Beach not that long ago and had a motorized bicycle buzz past me a couple times on the sidewalk. I found it strange that he was on the sidewalk, because that is illegal here in IL. Apparently it's not a very good idea to ride a motorized bicycle onto a sidewalk in Florida either....

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
I hate to break it to you but maybe you should read up on the subject

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles

Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles.
Who are you breaking it to?
I said, you must go with traffic on the bicycle lane.. Just doesn't mean the cops will automatically stop you, if you don't. I've seen way too many salmons for my own liking, that's for sure.
And sidewalk is NOT the roadway and is allowable, either direction.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Meaning you need to stop at a stop, signal when turning, travel in the proper direction on the roadway etc, etc...

It doesn't, however, mean you need a drivers license to ride one...

It's kind of ironic this topic came forward, cause I was in Cocoa Beach not that long ago and had a motorized bicycle buzz past me a couple times on the sidewalk. I found it strange that he was on the sidewalk, because that is illegal here in IL. Apparently it's not a very good idea to ride a motorized bicycle onto a sidewalk in Florida either....
OK I'll agree with that, in AZ I don't need a drivers license, THAT does vary
from state to state ask anyone in California.
And I have never had any problems with the law, pulled over a few times by
looky lous, never had a ticket though and I treat this beast like a motorcycle
including taking the whole right lane when need be.
but I've seen a lot of riders of ht's pulled over because of a single bulb
led a rear reflector only, which is the law so go figure.
me I'm lit up like a Christmas tree
I'm going for a ride now to nice to be inside:)

Last edited:

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
So give some details, what were you arrested for? what, were you just
riding around minding your own business and they just swooped in and arrested
you?
I wrote all this in pulled over in grant Florida but i will do it again to save you the trouble and time of reading that post! I was just returning home from the grocery store and only a few doors away from the driveway when i was stopped , there is a large intersection just before at which i went on the sidewalk as there is no bike lane there to avoid being hit by traffic, the motor was running so i just pulled the clutch in and was coasting from forward momentum when i was stopped! the cop sited me for driving A MOTOR VEHICLE on the sidewalk and driving a MOTOR VEHICLE without a license! The jury found me guilty for driving a MOTOR VEHICLE without a license! the driving upon a sidewalk charge was decided by the judge after that because that charge does not have a jail sentence and is not eligible for a jury decision!